can destrType = "DestructWreck"; be used with a wheeled vehicle?

Dunno, why don't you try? :)

Thanks smart ass. :mad:

Now i DID try it and i couldnt get it to work. So basically my question goes out to the smart people out there.....

Does the destruct wreck work with wheeled vehicles or not.

Never tested myself, but I recall someone in this forum commenting that they found it didn't work for any other models either.

Thanks smart ass. :mad:

Now i DID try it and i couldnt get it to work. So basically my question goes out to the smart people out there.....

Does the destruct wreck work with wheeled vehicles or not.

Sorry for sounding like a smart ass, but the way you asked sounded like you didn't try. You could have started with something like "I tried but it didn't work, does anyone know what I might have done wrong?" instead...

The only default BIS content to use it from A2 has been the model's mainly from air2.pbo as you maybe aware.

I wouldn't imagine that this means that it's usage it purely restricted to air-type vehicles though. Possibly, simply a case the modellers's reserved it's usage to these high profile assets when they created the content for A2.

Try replicating these asset's setup for your wheeled vehicle and see.

So, you'd be defining that class property you mentioned, namely destrType="DestructWreck"; in your primary fully functioning model's CfgVehicles class.

And, then in the model for that .p3d you'd be creating a 'new' LoD of the 'wreck' persuasion.

In this LoD you'd have a proxy triangle pointing out to a version of your working model that looks like it's wrecked.

This 'wrecked' model would have similar Resolution LoD's to your primary model plus 'view pilot', 'shadowvolume 0.0', 'geometry', 'land contact' & 'fire geometry' LoD's.

In your config you'd probably also have a seperate CfgVehicles class for this 'wrecked' model also so you'd be able to add it to a mission directly as an 'ambience' backdrop item.

For the config side of it look at the air2.pbo for some inspiration including the subfolders for each model.

Let us know how you get on as I'm sure others would be interested. I can't see why it shouldn't work for wheeled vehicles just at a glance but until you give it a try...

Cheers, Sy.

PS. Gnat, possibly if people were testing it's usage by purely adding the param to the class definition for other BIS default model's it may not have worked simply because those other BIS model's didn't have the 'wreck' LoD setup in them. Dunno, maybe.

Edited by Synide

@Synide

Yeh, maybe.

And, then in the model for that .p3d you'd be creating a 'new' LoD of the 'wreck' persuasion.

In this LoD you'd have a proxy triangle pointing out to a version of your working model that looks like it's wrecked.

FYI to anyone making "wrecks", also in this Wreck LOD (in the main p3d) you will need a few unnamed vertex points that act like "landcontact" points. Without these points the wreck model tends to fall through the ground, or lay at very odd angles on the ground.

.... from memory the Landcontact LOD in the actual wreck p3d didn't seem to do the job, and rumour from a good source suggests the default BIS ArmA2 MLODs have these points in the main model wreck LOD.