Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

I'm wondering, will the random town generator feature only work in the big desert map? Or will it work for the big city map as well?

BIS like to have the AI and human player on the same level, not giving one an extra tool than the other (especially when its something like firing out of a vehicle), so i think that we wont see a human only.

the problems most likly would originate in the core AI code, so its some problems that we probably have no idea how to deal with or fix. things like AI perception, targeting movement etc

You apparently don't understand the way it works. The .50 cal on top is coded and modeled into the humvee model. The .50 cal isn't the guys personal weapon. If you were to try to make it work that way you would have to make it so that the M16s are always shown aiming out the windows. There might be away around that though I guess. Problem number 2 is what happens if the guy has a SAW instead of an M16? That means you need to have a crap load of models each one with different weapons sticking out the windows.

Yes i do understand it and i do know the .50 cal is coded to and modeled to the HMMV etc.

I did say they would have to add an animation for pointing their rifles out of the window! how that animation is added will depend on whether the player animation whilst in a HMMV etc is coded and modeled to the HMMV or to the individaul character model. But if they can have head turning animation and animation of characters dieing in the HMMV, then they surely can have animation of them turning and pointing their rifle or hand gun out of a window!

Yes i do understand it and i do know the .50 cal is coded to and modeled to the HMMV etc.

I did say they would have to add an animation for pointing their rifles out of the window! how that animation is added will depend on whether the player animation whilst in a HMMV etc is coded and modeled to the HMMV or to the individaul character model. But if they can have head turning animation and animation of characters dieing in the HMMV, then they surely can have animation of them turning and pointing their rifle or hand gun out of a window!

If it was that simple then they would've added it a long long time ago. That or their just trying to piss us off but that doesn't seem smart.

I'm still hoping for it though. Although its low on my list of wants.

If it was that simple then they would've added it a long long time ago.

Indeed. Peeps have been asking for this since OFP and the demand for this feature has been acknowledged by BIS at least since before ArmA came out. Nothing is impossible of course, but who's to say how difficult it is to add such a feature? Engine limitations aside, it's not all about adding some code. A lot must be considered when implementing a major feature like this:

• Animations for the new firing positions would need to be made - for all vehicles. That alone would be a considerable amount of work.
  • They have to make sure such a major feature change does not affect other aspects of the game too severely. Would it break something?
  • Players will expect the AI to use it too. More coding.

But they do have this Feature in VBS 2 right? So they know how to implement it. Maybe the Demand in the Community just isn´t strong enough

..And we have to remember that its an expansion and not ARMA3... I remember expansions being new missions with some new gear, and now we already got (according to info we got so far):

FLIR, flash lights, PEQ (laser), backpack system, new MP/SP campaign, 2 new islands, new MP/SP missions (prolly), new gear, units, vehicles - in all new factions, random town generation, bug fixes, engine improvements and who knows what else. Phew. And this to a lower price than full game (sweden show full price so far but might change).

Not that im against getting more more and more stuff into Operation Arrowhead (deff not), but if they pull the above off in a good way im going to be pretty satisfyed.

that and plus folks need to be reminded that VBS2 features do not port over to ArmA2 so easily as it has been pointed out by the devs themselves.

Is there any word of a US/American distributer for the new expansion? I prefer a physical disk to downloading if possible.

Is there any word of a US/American distributer for the new expansion? I prefer a physical disk to downloading if possible.

I'll just use CDWOW out of China again, if needed.;)

If they offer it like they did ArmA2.

I think nobody actually noticed or translated the last bit of this message on twitter:

Bohemia´s PR manager Jan Prazak is now finishing the press tour in UK showing the Arrowhead´s preview code. We will distribute it WW now.

8:12 AM Apr 9th via web

But WW means world wide AFAIK so you will be able to get it in the US. Who will distribute it isn't known yet AFAIK

I think nobody actually noticed or translated the last bit of this message on twitter:

But WW means world wide AFAIK so you will be able to get it in the US. Who will distribute it isn't known yet AFAIK

They're talking about the preview code, which they're distributing to press outlets and websites. Not the game itself.

Damn wishfull thinking got the best of me.

DAMN! Hope we will get more info on this soon then.

What if this damn volcano keeps it up... OA is shipped through train? Maybe thats the usual method in europe (depending on where the discs are pressed i guess)? Gotta admit i have no idea.

A handful new Screenshots to be found over here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=70317&page=525 in the posted previews. I have to say, it is looking fantastic.

Face textures on the caucasian people that don´t make them look like mannequins anymore? Super! And the other new gadgets that can be spotted there are superb. The HUD for the vehicles apparently has been updated too: I hope something similar has happened for the command interfaces, both HC and the normal one (Streamlining, making it more userfriendly and intuitive, etc.)

And the landscape looks great too!

Keep it going BIS! Now the AI only needs to be enabled to think three dimensionally for more immersive and tough close quarters combat, and you have an absolute winner here.

Cheers

Insta

Hell Yea those new screenshots are epic and very nice stuff on them , specially the Huey - whoop whoop whoop

screenshotpcarmaiioperay.jpg

:D

On other pics you can see , new guns like Scars , M14 with aimpoint etc and new vehicles too like new army blackhawk , littlebird , chinook , huey , bradley etc yay :)

Edited by RobertHammer

Yeah... Im in ecstasy guys. :D Those screens of units, weapons, island, gear and all just looks a-fackin-mazing!

BIS it looks you did hell of a job! :)