Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

A.C.E. Advanced Combat Environment - Public Beta *2*!

It's rather simple, any creator of custom works has the full right to do with the product what he wants.

We as a team have a vision on what ACE is and what it isn't, what can go in it, and what can not, and what should be handled by mission makers and what not.

We use votes and tickets to see what the public opinion is, and we will take that into our consideration, but that's it.

Most of you have not a single clue how much work, effort, sweat, tears and what not is put into the mod,

if anyone believes you can dictate what we work on, or how we go about doing our business, I am very sorry, but you live in a dreamworld :)

It's very nice there are addon makers out there who will build what the public desire; respect!, but it isn't us.

All this bloody politics going on here in the BIF, and sometimes on the issue tracker too, is a bloody waste of time.

Thank you for your suggestions and feedback, but they're only that, no need to go Guerilla warfare on our asses, just because your suggestion doesnt fit in our vision!

Re discussion: You can discuss in here all you want, most of us will not participate in it though. We enjoy working, instead of discussing :)

Re my reaction: My reaction came after Jason went all "Disappointed, you must do this, you must do that" guerilla tactics.

All I did was reject the ticket with that it is up to the mission maker, as it is outside the scope of ACE.

If you wonder why the reactions can be heavy, you should consider what a waste of time most of the 285 pages of this thread, and the 400 pages of the previous thread represent :)

Edited by Sickboy

Sickboy, I know you weren't talking to me, but I just want to say I completely understand that it is your teams' work, and you have -complete- control over it.

I just think that your reply to Jason hit a nerve, as it was directed at him, and it was rather... unpleasant, and in a way, mocking. It seems like his main reaction is to what you said, not the actual rejection itself.

Just my two cents.

EDIT: Disregard. Sickboy answered in previous post.

Regards,

HateDread.

I honestly do not understand how Sickboy et al remain as civil as they do, I know for a fact I couldn't.

I think the whole devheaven "suggestions" thing is getting mixed with bug reports, as in devheaven and bug reports are very important and are needed, suggestions are just that, only suggestions. So to slam devheaven and tickets for suggestions is wrong, in a way suggestions are not priority and the be all end all of the existence of ticketing.

no need to go Guerilla warfare on our asses

:638::soldier::)

the Fastrope box in ACE with like 14 m 26 m 36 m what are the Unit names of them i want to add them manualy cant seem to find it

search this topic on ropes :

ACE_Rope_M_50

ACE_Rope_M_60

ACE_Rope_M_90

ACE_Rope_M_120

Love your mod ACE team don't let em get on your nerve! Thanks for everything and love the way it is going now. Jason if you want to change it then join the team and start scripting.

i cant use the red defrag grenade from the russians AE special ammo crate ...Why not ??:(

Stephsen

what do I have to add to the shortcut to play Ace and CAA1?

It depends on how is your addon folders are organized. I use the two at the same time, although they have some little conflicts with each other.

@jasonnoguchi

Sorry but I vote no on this one. A module, maybe, but no way to do it default.

No need to go rampant if they reject a suggestion, decision is theirs. So far I added about a dozen suggestions on dev-heaven, two of it were accepted and made, the rest were rejected, big deal, search for other things. Getting many votes for a suggestion doesn't mean it is good idea -in my view the much-talked ACOG-CQB sight, suggestions for ACR rifle and such are getting many points, but are unnecessary.

@HateDread

You have, even I had (M1028 Canister addon and M1A2 TUSK added to US Army faction were my suggestions). Only you don't have to take everything too personally, and listen to the cons of your pros, in an acceptable manner.

Yes let's not get to over board with the realism. It's easy enough to set this type of thing in the missions. It's important to keep in mind that the devs have responded to many, many votes and have added a lot of stuff. Ultimately it's their mod. Honestly they could be really bad and never listen to the community, allow us to vote, etc. Overall the ACE2 devs are doing a great job taking suggestions, bug reports, etc into consideration but obviously they can't look at every thing that's brought up by the community.

I honestly do not understand how Sickboy et al remain as civil as they do, I know for a fact I couldn't.

Me neither. I tend to go ballistic myself. It's really an amazing feat how much they can take.

Does anyone have a problem with the eject in an A10?

Says script not found

Please try to update the Mod, it got hotfixed just after release I believe :)
Me neither. I tend to go ballistic myself. It's really an amazing feat how much they can take.

It's a tricky thing. Usually the issue isn't one person, or a single situation, but the whole. It's like pissing in the wind :) (There's just too many of THEM, and too few of US! :D)

Depending on personal stress and state of mind, these things are either handled, ignored, or makes you go ballistic.

Counting to 10 helps most of the time, and trying to understand the situation too, but in the end we're only human too, and do all our work in our free time, for no payment of any form :)

Don't get me wrong though, we do that with a lot of love, like many other addon makers out there i'm sure :)

Edited by Sickboy

Please try to update the Mod, it got hotfixed just after release I believe :)

It's a tricky thing. Usually the issue isn't one person, or a single situation, but the whole. It's like pissing in the wind :) (There's just too many of THEM, and too few of US! :D)

Depending on personal stress and state of mind, these things are either handled, ignored, or makes you go ballistic.

Counting to 10 helps most of the time, and trying to understand the situation too, but in the end we're only human too, and do all our work in our free time, for no payment of any form :)

Don't get me wrong though, we do that with a lot of love, like many other addon makers out there i'm sure :)

Well you guys do an amazing job. Thanks for spending all the free time it takes to get this mod running/updated, etc.

It depends on how is your addon folders are organized. I use the two at the same time, although they have some little conflicts with each other.

I have dld both ace and Caa1 threw addon sync I want to know what I have to add to the shortcut to play ace alone caa1 alone and both together.

Thanks in Advance

I have dld both ace and Caa1 threw addon sync I want to know what I have to add to the shortcut to play ace alone caa1 alone and both together.

Thanks in Advance

Create a few different shortcuts and name them for the different set ups you want to have.

Then add this to the end of the shortcut target location:

-mod=@ACE;@ACEX@CAA1;@CBA 

this is for ACE2 + CAA(I'm not sure what the actual CAA mod folder name is so you may need to change it.)

-mod=@CAA1

For CAA1(Again you may need to change the CAA mod folder name)

-mod=@ACE;@ACEX;@CBA

For only ACE2

Here's a link that explains the mod folder set up:

http://www.armaholic.com/plug.php?e=faq&q=18

Ok, I am back in the thread again.

Much apologies for being worked up and as a classic chinese saying goes "you know someone better only after a fight" and that truly applies to this situation.

We both got heated up and we both said things we don't mean half the time. Sickboy and I had a good talk in PM and now we understand each other better.

Apologies also to the community for racking up such a fuss here and thanks to Hatedread for understanding exactly where its all coming from. :)

*edit... sorry wrong post

Edited by Minoza
wrong post

The Abrams is vastly superior to the T-72, that's a fact, it has nothing to do with "balancing" of the units, a gamey concept that has no relevance for a simulation type game.

Balancing in Arma is up to the mission designer. For instance, you could balance your mission by putting in a larger number of T-72:s, or give that side some other advantages to compensate for it being a much weaker tank.

I disagree that balance should have no place in games, even in hardcore simulation mmos there is a certain balance with types and time periods. First arma2 is only a simulation of combined arms but not a simulation of vehicles, air units and certain weapons. The ACE2 mod tries to get closer to a real sim and I appreaciate that. The m1a1 is far superior but in which time period... before the introduction of superior 829 ammunition it wasnt that much.

The 829 ammunition was introduced in the late 90ies, the basic t-72 was introuduced..guess 1972 and the M1A1 was introduced 1980. Since ACE2 doesnt even introduce the basic t-72 like in the vanilla version I guess the mod tries to deliver more technology from late time periods.

I think the question is valid how you want to balance factions since both sides starts with certain gear and they have to fight each other.

Iam aware that we have a fantasy war with mixed technology from different time periods but if the 829 ammunition is so superior vs the east vehicles with what units or equipment can be this more or less equalized ? I had not the chance to play that much with the new ACE2 version, maybe I did miss something here but i think the question is interesting for the devs of ACE2 if there is even a balance issue which i dont know yet, thats why I just did ask the question. I dont have the overview yet.

Of course this is only a game and not reality or a more accurate simulation like Steel Beasts professional (http://www.simhq.com/_land2/land_060a.html) or Battleground Europe (www.battlegroundeurope.com) but lets see how this will affect the gameplay in the next weeks and what we will expirience in the editor with testings.

Anyway thx a lot to the ACE2 team, this modification brings so much to ARMA2 I wished the company would have implemented a lot of the features by default.

Edited by oxmox

Anybody got a way to script/spawn a claymore, or any "tripwire" explosive, in mission? Thought maybe using a creatMarker or a Game Logic to get pos data.

Of course this is only a game and not reality or a more accurate simulation like Steel Beasts professional or ww2online but lets see how this will affect the gameplay in the next weeks and what we will expirience in the editor with testings.

Anyway thx a lot to the ACE2 team, this modification brings so much to ARMA2 I wished the company would have implemented a lot of the features by default.

I've been playing with the new Armor System in my existing missions.(Adding more enemy tanks) It's actually better for the missions if you ask me. It definitely makes it more difficult in the fact that I've added more tanks but then again it adds a whole dimension to the gameplay. Now it's much easier to disable a tank and take it out of play with out adding a ton of new weapons for the player's side just to get ride of the tanks.

I really enjoy this. Now I can call in a supply drop, pick up a few warheads and actually neutralize the armor threat with a well placed shot. And not have to completely run half way across the island just to find a hole in the defenses when there's a spot only guarded by a single T-72. To me, this completely enhances gameplay and fun while adding another realistic aspect. It sucked before when we couldn't at least make a tanks job much harder with a well placed shot to a weak point.

So far I'm hooked. It's a fantastic addition if you ask me. And it's light years better then the vanilla system, or lack there of. ;)

True BIS should've implemented something like this from the start but at least they developed a platform that allows the community to figure it out and implement it ourselves.

Edited by Manzilla

Thx manzilla ace2 works as for Caa1 it dld as a X folder with Caa1 and aoc folders inside in my arma 2 folder how do I add that to the target line?This is the full classic plants.

Edited by papoose244

Thx manzilla ace2 works as for Caa1 it dld as a X folder with Caa1 and aoc folders inside in my arma 2 folder how do I add that to the target line?

Just add what ever the name of the mod folder is to the end of the shortcut target line.

-mod=modfoldername1;modfoldername2;modfoldername3

Here's mine:

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2.exe" -noSplash -noFilePatching -mod=@ACE;@ACEX;@Op;@US;@UE;@Ind;@fnc_scopes;@P;@JTD;@HiFi;@Mando;@RKSL;@ACEX_PLA;BWMod;@GL4;@CBA

All those mod folders names are from the main A2 directory. Just take the exact name of that mod folder and add it to the target line.

I am totally for the new tank armor system!

love how sometimes you get that full crew kill and still am able to drive the tank away (without working turret of course! hahahah). But seriously, you see more stationary and abandoned tanks on the battlefield more than burnt and exploded ones in reality and this new armor system delivers that realism.

My new realism suggestion (some of you will kill me for this)...

Never seen foot soldiers or non-pilots jump into aircrafts and fly like pilots in Real Life? Well, then don't allow it to happen ingame too. Lock aircrafts by default from non-pilot class and lock tanks from non-crewman class.

Vote at http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/8578

Rejected in a jiffy...sigh... 3 positive votes for yes in just 5 mins... surely that means something...sigh... who in the world would ever choose a pilot or crewman class character to play with at all?

Just disappointed that if this is a crap suggestion, please let the public vote say it is, not a dictatorial, communist style REJECTION without listening to what the people has to say. Disappointing.

Listening to what your users want is part and parcel of being a good modder. If I am wrong, let the public say I am, not just one dictator style NO.

Yes that is a point i did suggest aswell in other threads, if we could get rid of superhero soldats the game would be even better. Not sure if this is possible to integrate in this mod or in certain gameplay mods i.e. warfare benny and so on.

At the moment we have the situation that you can equip highly specialized infantry equipment i.e. javelin+sniper or MG units with missiles. We have also the option that every player can equip gear which gives him always an advantage in certain situation i.e. AA missiles/AT missiles. The vast majority of soldiers dont run around with such missile systems.

We have also the option that we can equip such great equipment for almost every situation + we can jump into a tank, leave it and change to a Jet Fighter or Helicopter.

I think all vehicles should be used by CREW´s with limited gear i.e. mp5 and 2 nades.

This is how it works in simulation games i used to play before and i would love to see that, even it has not a high priority for me rather the gear issue i did write about before.

Edited by oxmox