Sign in to follow this  
txalin

pro.bistudio.com

Hi all,

While searching for documentation on bistudio.com i discovered this website where bis explain to potential customers their services like linda, 3d rendering, motion capture, etc... take a look to the gallery :)

http://pro.bistudio.com

Btw, Placebo, i read that BIS works with Weta Digital, can you (if possible and non NDA signed :) ) explain what kind of work you made with them (for people who dont, know, they are the responisble of Lord of the rings FXs)

Edited by txalin

I am very impressed by this:

http://pro.bistudio.com/index.php/services/audio-recording-studio/gallery.html

But why are the default weapon-sounds so bad in Arma2 (Ok much better than in Arma1:p)?

For Arma2 they didn't recorded live firing sounds?

I was always having the impression that BIS buys sound-samples from other companies....

It seems we can have a Arma-Party here:

http://pro.bistudio.com/index.php/services/stage-renting/gallery.html

Edited by mr.g-c

But why are the default weapon-sounds so bad in Arma2 (Ok much better than in Arma1:p)?

For Arma2 they didn't recorded live firing sounds?

I was always having the impression that BIS buys sound-samples from other companies....

I think that the impresion of the bad sound are made from many listening of incorect sounds from other games or movies? It's very common to change the sounds in games so they sound more harder, or interesting. And sounds from movies maybe sounds different because they are edited or fired blank rounds?

Not sure what theyre supposed to sound like, however after installing the vops sound addon, the sounds are simply amazing...the cracking of bullet hitting near your position is awesome....and now when someone opens up near me, i alomst sh*t my pants, esp if nearby buildings...this game is the greatest. thanks again for the great game BI!

Well, perhaps because shown audio recording session was for Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead, and that game is not out yet? :j: There were already few real world recording sessions and more are planned. We hope in the finished game it will be worth the effort but you have to wait few more months.

On the other hand, one of the problems is that you may need to make our games sound louder than rest in order to hear it the way we made it.

To get a bit better understanding, we prefer to keep full dynamic range of real world over dynamic compression (that is considered as great sound by many users for some reason: they perceive the sound louder but there is a price paid: loss of detail and accuracy). This is quite interesting general problem not affecting only games, probably best illustrated here:

Loudness war at wikipedia.org.

http://pro.bistudio.com/images/stories/gallery/audio/08BIStudio.mp3

Umm... Why don't any of their games sound like this?

Wow. That certainly makes me want OA even more. Awesome news, Marek. :D

On the other hand, one of the problems is that you may need to make our games sound louder than rest in order to hear it the way we made it.

Thats intresting. But somehow I find the sounds of A2 too dynamic in volume to put my amplifier to a high level. Sometimes I cant hear my own car engine, but when a jets flys by, my speakers allmost explode. While it may be realistic, its not really suitable for casual gaming :p

Thats intresting. But somehow I find the sounds of A2 too dynamic in volume to put my amplifier to a high level. Sometimes I cant hear my own car engine, but when a jets flys by, my speakers allmost explode. While it may be realistic, its not really suitable for casual gaming :p

Oh man i know what you mean, sometimes I can't hear a thing... then all of a sudden *BOOM* *BAM* *WHOOOSSHHH* and my fking ears are ringing!

Do like me :) I adjust the volume so when I walk and run it sound like in RL. Then I have TS in my earplugs under my headphones with arma2. The earplugs protects my hearing when it goes boom ;)

They did the motion capture for the film Wanted...bloody 'ell

I think a computer upgrade will be in order foe Carrier Command.

Well, perhaps because shown audio recording session was for Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead, and that game is not out yet? :j: There were already few real world recording sessions and more are planned. We hope in the finished game it will be worth the effort but you have to wait few more months.

To get a bit better understanding, we prefer to keep full dynamic range of real world over dynamic compression (that is considered as great sound by many users for some reason: they perceive the sound louder but there is a price paid: loss of detail and accuracy). This is quite interesting general problem not affecting only games, probably best illustrated here:

Very interesting!

And very awesome that you finally started to employ such great gear for capturing real sounds! Definitely a step into a "right direction" i believe.

But this way Arma2 won't hopefully be your last realism-near game, at least i hope so ;):)

That's kind of unfair. I think the vehicles in Arma II sound great, and so I have to give BIS some credit there. :)

Damn right, like the sound when those russian tank diesel engines kick in. Best sound in a game ever invented lol...

Dang! Im very impressed by everything on that site.

BIS rules! :)