Sign in to follow this  
.kju

Modules and FSM tweaking, fixing and extending?

With the FSM editor available, this opens a large door to inspect the modules

and some AI FSM. I am kinda surprised that there is no discussion about this so

far.

Did anyone even load up the module or AI FSM in the editor yet? :eek:

The visual look via the FSM editor gives you a pretty good idea how the

systems are designed IMHO.

Even more people could tweak, fix or even extend their BI modules or AI FSM. :cool:

Ref: OFPEC thread

I have pondered digging into this with my INKO Disposable addon actually, due to the issues I have with getting the AI to behave smoothly (like for example prioritizing taking cover after firing the AT rocket, and *then* switch to primary weapon) instead of being sitting, retarded ducks.

errr.. can you tell me with what program should i be able to see those pictures?

edit: Thank you Q.

Edited by bravo 6

Any normal picture viewer can display EMF.

This is a pretty dumb question but what is FSM? I've seen the files in various locations but have never been able to figure out exactly what they are, what they are used for, etc. I checked it in the BIKI but like most things there, it looks like gibberish to me and confused me even more.

Hello,

I looked at it. Since I am especially interested in making those config FSM's for the AI ,

I still would very much appreciate it if BIS could give us some documentation about the available "function= ..." commands you can use there and what they exactly make the AI do?

Would be very much appreciated.

Looks like interesting stuff. I wonder how much you could change the AI, like could you get blufor and opfor units to behave differently?

You can make them do quite a lot of things. However - I'm fairly confident that the default FSM has highest priority, so if an event happens that is covered by the default FSM it'll supercede the custom one and take over, which makes custom FSMs unreliable (i.e. they can't be used for overly complex systems since they are to be expected to be interrupted or cancelled).

I hope I'm wrong with this though.

Don't forget, A2 FSM is not AI only!

You can do a lot of things with FSMs. I've even made a vehicle respawn FSM.

200 vehicles running the respawn fsm, no performance problems at all (just for testing).

Another example, I've executed a simple fsm for every enemy AI unit in a coop mission we played with 50 players (there were quite a lot of AI units). The fsm simply waited until the unit died and then put the object reference into a delete FIFO, the FIFO delete routine itself was also a FSM. Worked perfectly.

So, again, FSM is not AI only.

Xeno

Good examples are looking at the missions. They generally use FSMs for hints, conversations and lots of extra stuff.

And that sure sounds like nice use of it, Xeno. Seems to me like FSMs + functions can replace A LOT of the existing scripting.

@Xeno, sounds VERY promising then ! Will we see those FSM appearing in your missions soon then :)