Sign in to follow this  
eble

OH-58 Kiowa Warrior comes to Arma2

Are we still getting a new beta for the weekend? ;)

I've installed the new arma2 tools, It slowed me down a bit becuase I've been playing about with them.

I've got the most update FLIR script in, just needs some more testing.

Southy

Can you add some super shaders too? like for glass and for heli too? :)

Edited by RobertHammer

I get a "No entry 'bin\config.bin/CfgModels/Default.sections" error when i try to use it in the editor and ingame it lacks exterior textures when piloting it in first person view. No other addons used and tested with the .50/Hellfire version.

Ditto NVidia 9800 1gig

AMD Anthalon 4600+ XP Proc 2.4 4gig ddr2 Win Vista 32 bit

I also had problems tryin to get in to work on a dedi server in a map i edited but not sure may or may not have been my fault. But i deleted it off the map an server then prob went away.

Ditto NVidia 9800 1gig

AMD Anthalon 4600+ XP Proc 2.4 4gig ddr2 Win Vista 32 bit

I also had problems tryin to get in to work on a dedi server in a map i edited but not sure may or may not have been my fault. But i deleted it off the map an server then prob went away.

Yeah the error was from my dodgy config, snakeman was good enough to make a merged texture and clean up the config for me.

I was all set to release a new beta and the new tools came out, still checking what I can and can't do with those.

I'm no longer working on the KA50 (now released) so I will get back to the Kiowa and clean it up.

Plan is to have maybe two more beta's then a final release, I'll be adding more content with each release.

FLIR in next release and Flares/super shader/merged textures/damage model(Wreck model) in final beta.

Southy

Yeah the error was from my dodgy config, snakeman was good enough to make a merged texture and clean up the config for me.

I was all set to release a new beta and the new tools came out, still checking what I can and can't do with those.

I'm no longer working on the KA50 (now released) so I will get back to the Kiowa and clean it up.

Plan is to have maybe two more beta's then a final release, I'll be adding more content with each release.

FLIR in next release and Flares/super shader/merged textures/damage model(Wreck model) in final beta.

Southy

Excellent News, very much would like to put it back in my SpecOps Mission.

Thanks

Just a follow-up on the new beta status. Any possible ETA?

Lo all,

Apologies for the delays, the new arma2 tools opened up more options :)

For now I've only changed the config and model file for the moment. (Thanks to snakeman)

In the next release, I'll be using the new super shader, and built in FLIR for the mast mounted sight, merged textures and revised P3D(again thanks to snakeman).

download beta v1.5 here:

http://www.filefront.com/14362335/kiowa%20beta%20v1.5.rar

Lots more to come....

Southy

This is a wonderful addon that I can't wait to use in future missions. The Kiowa and their pilots were my heros in Iraq the first year of the war since there was at least 2 in the air at all times protecting people like me who were outside the wire every day.

The model looks wonderful so far, and I have a couple suggestions that might help things look/act like the real thing...

1. Not sure if the flight model is programmable to existing helos, but the Kiowa acts more like the Littlebird than anything else.

2. The 360deg firing of the 50cal has gotta be fixed. I'm no professional modder, but I wonder if it can be applied the same as the FFARs do? I dunno...

3. Someone mentioned this earlier, and I totally agree. There should be no doors on the chopper, if that's possible. Hardly anyone I know in todays combat enviornment drives with the doors on, unless it's Winter.

4. Not sure if the textures are fixable, but adding some dirt or "grittiness" to the skins would really help it look nice. These guys are usually flying at or just above treetop level at all times and they tend to get really really dirty. In Iraq, the pilots are always eating sand, which is why I like them so much :) If you need assistance on that, i can probably help.

5. As for loadouts, the way you have them labeled is great. I only took a look at one, so I don't know if you already have it like this, so forgive me for the redundancy, but these birds are only big enough to hold one type of weapon on each side, meaning they can't have the FFAR on both sides along with 50cals on both sides too. Of course, I could be mistaken, but I haven't seen anything different.

6. Also, is there some way to get the squad xml logo to show up on the back? You can see what I'm talking about in a few photos below.

Here are a couple links if you haven't seen them already that have a lot of visual reference.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=107088&highlight=oh-58

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?t=107088&highlight=oh-58

http://www.kiowapilots.com/forums/portal.php

Edited by Durka-Durka

nice addon! I have a picture of a CH-58D Kiowa Warrior in my room.

Still some errors, but definately a very good addon! :) I'm looking forward to see the final version.

http://arma.pastebin.com/m14c1dc0d

Yeah I'm aware of those errors, still heaps to do, this release was just for the updated config and model file only nothing else has changed.

I already have the merged textures and revised P3D and I'll working on upgrading it next.

@Durka Durka

1. Not sure if the flight model is programmable to existing helos, but the Kiowa acts more like the Littlebird than anything else.

I made the flight model to be like this I prefer it to the BIS versions as you can put the Kiowa down exactly where you want it etc... it's actually weighted heavier than the Littlebirds but acts very similiar.

2. The 360deg firing of the 50cal has gotta be fixed. I'm no professional modder, but I wonder if it can be applied the same as the FFARs do? I dunno...

No known fix at this time, the Kiowa is using the standard BIS turret, and as such if I fix the 50. cal it will stop the Mast mounted sight working. The only way I thought might work would be to restrict the gun to the pilot only but I was never able to get this to work right in testing.

3. Someone mentioned this earlier, and I totally agree. There should be no doors on the chopper, if that's possible. Hardly anyone I know in todays combat enviornment drives with the doors on, unless it's Winter.

This model is actually thr original BIS OFP model probably from 1999 or earlier, a couple of people have looked at taking the doors off it's proved either too difficult or not possible. Sorry.

4. Not sure if the textures are fixable, but adding some dirt or "grittiness" to the skins would really help it look nice. These guys are usually flying at or just above treetop level at all times and they tend to get really really dirty. In Iraq, the pilots are always eating sand, which is why I like them so much If you need assistance on that, i can probably help.

I have the PSD files for the skins lying about if you can help dirty them up, cool. :)

5. As for loadouts, the way you have them labeled is great. I only took a look at one, so I don't know if you already have it like this, so forgive me for the redundancy, but these birds are only big enough to hold one type of weapon on each side, meaning they can't have the FFAR on both sides along with 50cals on both sides too. Of course, I could be mistaken, but I haven't seen anything different.

Weapon loadouts, I went 100% realistic with these, you won't be seeing more than one weapon type per side.

6. Also, is there some way to get the squad xml logo to show up on the back? You can see what I'm talking about in a few photos below.

I will add for next version all being good.

Not 100% sure when the next release will be as I want to get a lot of work done this time.

I'd recommend using the FLIR addon with this, takes the KIOWA to a whole another level.

Cheers

Southy

Edited by Eble

No known fix at this time, the Kiowa is using the standard BIS turret, and as such if I fix the 50. cal it will stop the Mast mounted sight working. The only way I thought might work would be to restrict the gun to the pilot only but I was never able to get this to work right in testing.

Put the gun out side the turret.

PM Men and ill help you out with it.

Put the gun out side the turret.

PM Men and ill help you out with it.

Thanks for your help mate.

50 cal is now fixed in position and is for the pilot only.

Best thing about this community is someone can fix what might seem a small problem but I've not been able to fix this for like 12 months.

Thanks again mate.

Southy

That's awesome Eble. It would really be better for the Kiowa that the pilot fire anyways. From the way I understand Kiowas, the co-pilot does all the observing and targeting, but not killing. I've got a cool video of a guy I know firing into Uday's house.

Thanks for your help mate.

50 cal is now fixed in position and is for the pilot only.

Best thing about this community is someone can fix what might seem a small problem but I've not been able to fix this for like 12 months.

Thanks again mate.

Southy

No problem, glad to help :)

the model is kinda blocky, plus a couple of small issues

i'll be waiting for the final release

the model is kinda blocky, plus a couple of small issues

i'll be waiting for the final release

The model is at least 10 years old, but unless someone is able/willing to make a new Kiowa model not much I personally can do about it sorry, addon listed as beta as yeah it has a few issues, infact quite a few still.

I will re-do all the weapons to be pilot controlled only except for the laser designator, people can try it out and if they like it I will keep this in.

I might actually do a couple of version with gunners accessing FFAR/Hellfires/Stingers so in multi player they will have something else other than laser des to do.

Right seater fires FFAR's/gun/stinger. Left seater fires Hellfires.

Thanks Punisher,

I'll make it so the pilot can activate all weapons except for the Hellfire/Laser.

(I prefer it this way as the gunner can self lock the hellfires)

Thanks again.

southy

Very nice chopper!

Keep it up!

I'll make it so the pilot can activate all weapons except for the Hellfire/Laser.

Also in "Manual Fire"-Mode? :butbut:

MfG, Medicus