Sign in to follow this  
sakura_chan

Driving AI fix

Ok folks, this is something I started today, and I'm going to release it as an open test to the community because of the great success I've had with it. Vehicles should now have much improved path finding skills, especially in a situation where they have to turn around in a narrow street or within a forest road. Basically I tweaked the AI driving variables to the point that vehicles are able to turn more accurately, with fewer back and forth motions. The bigger trucks had a ridiculous and unrealistic turn radius making them hit everything. This has been corrected. I was able to get AI to drive for what could be called a boring amount of time, without crashing or getting stuck on fences and streetlamps.

Officially this has only been tested on the HMMVV and the MTVR, but the principles are the same for most vehicles. There MAY be some bad effects on the civilian cars, as I have not tweaked their variables completely. If you would like to help, if you find that the AI driving breaks when using this mod, shoot me a copy of the mission so I can further study the situation. Here is the link http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=a54b8a5cbcab5132e7c82ed4b8f0c380e04e75f6e8ebb871 (sakudriver.zip)

mirrors are ok, I plan on releasing a more complete version later on.

BIS take note, i hope all goes well

Thankyou for doing the work BIS should have done before release.

Another great idea. :)

Will check when i get back from work. Thanks!

Alex

Another fine example of a community member taking the initiative to provide a much needed fix. Whiners take note, slowly the game gets even better. ;) Thanks Sakura_Chan!

I love you, Sakura Chan. So much. So very much. :)

Abs

THX a lot

Hope it will also help on dedicated servers :-)

Very nice work matey - I had given up on columns of hummers getting throught cherny in one piece. :)

So wait. Did you just modify AI turn radius or the actual turn radius (thus affecting players too)?

No these AI only values.

• steerAheadSimul
  • steerAheadPlan
  • predictTurnSimul
  • predictTurnPlan
  • brakeDistance

Fair enough. So I guess this means that poor AI driving was not really an engine problem... just bad data.

Hi..

Nice work Kju..

Waiting for the complete version.. and it should be added to next patch..

Tested with this activated and checked a humvee driving. So far it is worse for me with the tweak. Where roads has 90 degrees corners the car always drive straight forward full speed and into the buildings. So it doesnt slow down at all and hit the house with full force.

However im certain you guys will get this in shape, and im very happy you found out it can be fixed. :)

EDIT: If someone else can test it would be nice. In a village where you have a 90 degree turn add waypoints for the car to drive through it and see if you get the same result as me.

Alex

Edited by Alex72

@ Flyfinn

I had no involvement in this. All Sakura Chan's work. :)

Hi mate

For me it was a big impact for better "ai driving"

Also we think that it runs on dedicated a lot better !

THX a lot for this

once again sakura chan comes to save the day

Edited by 4 IN 1

So far it is worse for me with the tweak. Where roads has 90 degrees corners the car always drive straight forward full speed and into the buildings. So it doesnt slow down at all and hit the house with full force.

Alex

I can't seem to replicate this. In my version the hummer slows down about 10m away from the turn and slowly drives through it. If you could supply a mission it would be appreciated!

edit***nvm

Ok, here is what the problem was. During my testing I was giving the unit a far away waypoint, so the vehicle made all the decisions about turning on its own. If, however, you manually place a waypoint at each turn, the vehicle will drive balls out though it. This is because I added "brakedistance" to my testing, and I couldn't see any effect. default is 10, I set it to 3, so the AI basically wasn't hitting the brakes and would miss the waypoint. I set it to 13 now and the problem is gone!

Edited by Sakura_Chan

I can't seem to replicate this. In my version the hummer slows down about 10m away from the turn and slowly drives through it. If you could supply a mission it would be appreciated!

edit***nvm

Ok, here is what the problem was. During my testing I was giving the unit a far away waypoint, so the vehicle made all the decisions about turning on its own. If, however, you manually place a waypoint at each turn, the vehicle will drive balls out though it. This is because I added "brakedistance" to my testing, and I couldn't see any effect. default is 10, I set it to 3, so the AI basically wasn't hitting the brakes and would miss the waypoint. I set it to 13 now and the problem is gone!

I can't replicate this either. I've tried and tried to get vehicles stuck, a lot is done under MrCent's HC expansion, but I they drive practically flawlessly. You've done one helluva a job here Sakura_Chan. F$in' brilliant!

Thank you.

Hi,

I've used your mod. But I don't see any (small?) improvement.

Column HMV(240)-HMV(240)-HMV(240)-AVENGER-MTVR-MTVR-MTVR-HMV(240)-HMV(240)-HMV(240)

Given simple move(Engage,Column(any type),Safe,Full) order on a stright road Left map end to Chernogorsk. Goes well maybe strighter then they did, but still splits in smaller groups, have problems with keeping together, stops randomly, not to mention that MTVR sometimes break from the group and go to the forest :>.

I don't know what the diference is from OFP but the driveing AI here is awful. And sadly your tweak, doesn't do any good. (or I'm just doing sth wrong). On the other side one mtvr given long 12km route thrugth the forest, goes great.

well formations is something different, no?

well, not from my experience (i used a lot editor in OFP now switched to ARMA2 skipped ARMA).

Group of units given an on road (close road?) waypoint with formation column, staggered column , column (compact) should go on road smoothly. Suprisingly it works more or less correctly for infantry if the setup is right, they would walk by the road side.

anyway i just tested the move waypoint without any parameters :? still the group goes like crap.

well, not from my experience (i used a lot editor in OFP now switched to ARMA2 skipped ARMA).

Group of units given an on road (close road?) waypoint with formation column, staggered column , column (compact) should go on road smoothly. Suprisingly it works more or less correctly for infantry if the setup is right, they would walk by the road side.

anyway i just tested the move waypoint without any parameters :? still the group goes like crap.

Safe mode will make them try to follow roads properly.