Sign in to follow this  
The.Yield

HDR and Bloom are completely out of control!

Value stayed the same but had no effect ingame... would have been way too easy fix heh. Oh well, only hope that maybe someone would do a similar fix like for ArmA 1. Still gonna play it like this though :).

this all should be enable disable in graphics options

bloom effects etc.

also the sunlight effect on your eyes should be able to disable this.

bloom is really overdone in the game. they need to tone it down a little.

Agreed.

I also HATE the white "haze" that forms through trees and stuff.

I love your game BIS, but please tone down the HDR.

The opening post speaks the truth
" HDR and Bloom are completely out of control!" RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!!

He doesnt say what his settings are or his Res. The bloom is fine, its bloom.

" HDR and Bloom are completely out of control!" RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!!!!

He doesnt say what his settings are or his Res. The bloom is fine, its bloom.

1920x1200, everything max'd out.

The original poster probably wanted to raise issue with Crossfire where HDR sometimes causes major flickering (related to the nature of ArmA 2 engine and Crosfire). That problem seems to be reduced in Catalyst 9.6 or it is possible to overcome it by runing the game without Crossfire (which reduces maximum dual-GPU fillrate performance).

* anyway, bloom can be reduced by lowering brightness in your Video options to 0.9 or 0.8 (and you may compensate by slightly increasing gamma to 1.1 or 1.2).

* in ArmA 2 version 1.02, it will be possible to disable various post effects including bloom.

* the idea of disabling HDR simply doesn't work: in case of ArmA and ArmA 2, HDR is in the heart of the entire lighting model so disabling it means basically black screen. The whole mechanism has two parts: simulation of light and aperture control. Some tweaks to the light values when sun is near horizon are implemented in the upcoming version 1.02 and we may improve aperture control further in future revision as well

Maruk - I use a single Geforce 260 GTX and have the same problems as the poster. Go back a couple of pages and look at the 2 photo's that display the problem. Now please, how you are suppose to play a game with a problem like that? I really hope this can be fixed or it really is going to ruin a promising game.

* the idea of disabling HDR simply doesn't work: in case of ArmA and ArmA 2, HDR is in the heart of the entire lighting model so disabling it means basically black screen. The whole mechanism has two parts: simulation of light and aperture control. Some tweaks to the light values when sun is near horizon are implemented in the upcoming version 1.02 and we may improve aperture control further in future revision as well

Such a shame, I hate the HDR effect, it generally eats a lot of ressources for something that doesn't bring any graphical improvements and is just unrealistic and a visual annoyance IMO. Well okay, when I'm taking my lunch outside in full 12:00 summer sunlight and I look at a very shadowy place in my garden, it looks a bit darker than when I penetrate this place, but in ArmA II it's so much exagerated !

If you can't let us disable HDR, would it be at least possible to give us some control on it ? Would it be possible to reduce the lighting variations to an unnoticable minimum ?

* in ArmA 2 version 1.02, it will be possible to disable various post effects including bloom.

Thats good, will it be possible to adjust how strong the bloom effect is on a slider?

Like Kegety's already posted, I think lowering how much the aperture values automatically change would help a lot in situations like that. At the moment like ArmA1 the aperture can change to extreme values (to bright or to dark) to me it's like using a camera that has poor light detection resulting in either over or underexposed photos

Edited by AUS_Twisted

the idea of disabling HDR simply doesn't work: in case of ArmA and ArmA 2, HDR is in the heart of the entire lighting model so disabling it means basically black screen. The whole mechanism has two parts: simulation of light and aperture control. Some tweaks to the light values when sun is near horizon are implemented in the upcoming version 1.02 and we may improve aperture control further in future revision as well

I have,

- played ArmA with a Geforce 7800 and a Geforce 8800.

- played ArmA2 with a Geforce 8800.

- bought a ATI 4890 for ArmA2.

From the release day of Arma until now i, and everyone i know, have a problem with the ArmA and ArmA2 HDR (someone more someone less, but nowbody likes it).

On my system there is no difference between ATI and Geforce or between an older and the newest driver.

Here are two videos showing the worst case.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zXJvYLOGWo&hl=de&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zXJvYLOGWo&hl=de&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I5yQDH3DoA&hl=de&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I5yQDH3DoA&hl=de&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It does not need the worst case to stop the game due to unplayable conditions. For me there is no way to play this game at dusk and dawn, and on some situations on night.

As you can see at the night video the problem is not caused by the lights. It is caused by the headlight texture. It looks like the .rvmat or the way the .rvmat will be processed makes this excesses.

Nice, then i dont need The NoBloom Addon any longer. :D

But must i delete the two folders that come with the NoBlur Addon to install 1.02 ?

Nice, then i dont need The NoBloom Addon any longer. :D

But must i delete the two folders that come with the NoBlur Addon to install 1.02 ?

I would.

A...

Twin ATI 4870 1GB in Xfire

Thoughts?

i fixed it with a rename, well sofar as much as i have played the game. Using a Crysis.exe rename of your arma2.exe the HDR, the flashing to dark ect is greatly reduced, like not really there :) .There is still the classic strobe but it settles down real fast after you start something, and after that its way better than arma2.exe... So -winxp + Crysis.exe FTW. 4870x2's in CFX/Quadfire, great fps and now less migraines. will try a few others, farcry2 Fear2 ect...

i fixed it with a rename, well sofar as much as i have played the game. Using a Crysis.exe rename of your arma2.exe the HDR, the flashing to dark ect is greatly reduced, like not really there :) .There is still the classic strobe but it settles down real fast after you start something, and after that its way better than arma2.exe... So -winxp + Crysis.exe FTW. 4870x2's in CFX/Quadfire, great fps and now less migraines. will try a few others, farcry2 Fear2 ect...

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I've been trying out the setAperture setting in editor and one can use that to reduce the excessive HDR in user missions. Sad thing is that it's very much dependant on time of the day and weather so you can't use one value for all missions.

BIS could revamp the aperture control but that would require rewriting a grand portion of the terrain configs I believe, not to mention testing. But then again it would certainly be worth it ;).

To Dumile:

Graphics card drivers have different settings for different games. Currently they are lacking proper ArmA2 support but you can rename arma2.exe to crysis.exe and enable whatever optimizations there are for Crysis thus making them available in ArmA2 too :).

Edited by Norsu

Hopefully someone has posted this in the suggestions Forum.

But I absolutely love having bleeding eyes!

I would like to see all the PP effects go except the DOF with scopes and binoculars.

Bloom and blur makes it look like an arcade game (Crysis) and DOF is ok but too near.

I don't know why you guys think the blur is realistic, it only brings headaches. If your sight blurs and wobbles (I also adjusted this a few notches down) like that you are either drunk or disabled.

Later ;)

Edited by Snowwhite

yes, i saw Arma2 at my friends PC, HDR makes it not fun to play :(

i thought only Arma1 had HDR problems and A2 will be free of HDR problem

my friend has PC as mine - VGA 8800

like on Youtube video shown pages before

all dark for few seconds after looking at light

shame HDR cannot be disabled in game

Edited by vilas

GDT HDR addon helps a lot.

I have,

- played ArmA with a Geforce 7800 and a Geforce 8800.

- played ArmA2 with a Geforce 8800.

- bought a ATI 4890 for ArmA2.

From the release day of Arma until now i, and everyone i know, have a problem with the ArmA and ArmA2 HDR (someone more someone less, but nowbody likes it).

On my system there is no difference between ATI and Geforce or between an older and the newest driver.

Here are two videos showing the worst case.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zXJvYLOGWo&hl=de&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zXJvYLOGWo&hl=de&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I5yQDH3DoA&hl=de&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I5yQDH3DoA&hl=de&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

It does not need the worst case to stop the game due to unplayable conditions. For me there is no way to play this game at dusk and dawn, and on some situations on night.

As you can see at the night video the problem is not caused by the lights. It is caused by the headlight texture. It looks like the .rvmat or the way the .rvmat will be processed makes this excesses.

I still have this exact problem with 1.03.

Dusk or dawn, totally non playable.

Didn't they test play it or what ... or do they really think this happens in real life or something ... ?!!!

Hate it.

When I get on a map at those hours, I just want to quit asap.

Wish there was a solution

dude turn your post proccessing down to low or OFF. It fixes most of that stuff:):)

I love the light dipping like that, just turn some of that light stuff down.