Sign in to follow this  
EricM

MI28 Project

Thanks Adumb :)

Though we operate a project space hosting site called dev heaven - also offers svn/git. :)

For me it is more a matter of EricM deciding to do this or not.

kju,

Been out of the modding loop for well over 2 years, first time of heard of dev heaven! i will for sure cheak this out.

As of now, I consider myself just as another contributor like the rest of you.

I don't know what a svn is, but if you feel it would benefit the whole project, let's do it. Be it on dev heaven or else.

EricM_Mi28_Havok_Banner.png

Banner by Vigilante.

Alright here we go. :)

EricM Mi28 wiki and project space.

We should consider to form a Skype group chat for communication.

Put the files into a git repos now.

Move tasks in the issue tracker.

The wiki page explains how to get the files from the git repository.

Wow, cockpit photos are extremely difficult to find for the Mi-28, just like the KA-52.

I do however, have a payware Mi-28 for flight simulator. It may not be as accurate as the real thing, however its cockpit matches up to the few photos that I did manage to find and I can get screenshots of the cockpit from different angles if you need me to.

nice initiative ericM. I am up for helping out (i love this chopper, i got a model in 3dmax myself - too lazy to finish it up).

@RH: the cockpit those pics are not really accurate comparing with refs i got so far.

I located 2 more cocpit view's on this page

plus many more pics...

btw.: The havoc should be included in some BF/2-mod's. Do some include a real-style cockpit?

Edited by modEmMaik

Nice refs modEmMaik... First one that I see of the gunner seat !!!

Thanks a lot.

Hi all!

As you might remember i'm the guy who did the original model, and as you have figured yourselves it is very difficult to find source images for the cockpit. I have however started to make the cockpit model, and i have a lot more spare time on my hands right now as i just finished my finnish army conscript service.

Here is a pic of the gunner pit,early early WIP and a lot of guestimating, but atleast i have a base to work from:

render43s.jpg

Seeing as there is a lot of interest for this chopper I'll try to work more actively on this model now.

And as for the detail question there is a lot of extra details in my original model that could be added i think for the A2 version, polycounts do not kill FPS the way other things like postprossecing and stuff does..

Lol... actually I am doing more or less the same job, using the Ka50 content from the BI samples. Just to see this baby flying on my rig :D

But the Ka50 content can be replaced very easy, whenever I plan to relase this version...

Hey Digital Centurion, nice to see you back and running !

I don't think the polycount needs to be increased much, even for Arma 2, as the chopper is quite bulky/squarish in real-life. As a matter of fact, it could probably loose a few hidden tris here and there, but that's marginal. I think I kept 95% of the visible detail that contributed to the silhouette while cutting the polycount about in half (no real need for nice edgeloops when you do low-poly modelling).

All in all, what's important is not the total polycount but rather the different LODS so that the engine can adapt the load efficiently. If you want to add another high-poly "beauty LOD" (say 20K tris for instance) I don't think this would impact the perfs too much as the other lower LODS are quite agressively optimized.

Edited by EricM

Hi all!

As you might remember i'm the guy who did the original model, and as you have figured yourselves it is very difficult to find source images for the cockpit. I have however started to make the cockpit model, and i have a lot more spare time on my hands right now as i just finished my finnish army conscript service.

Here is a pic of the gunner pit,early early WIP and a lot of guestimating, but atleast i have a base to work from:

http://www.kimitosoft.com/upload/render43s.jpg

Seeing as there is a lot of interest for this chopper I'll try to work more actively on this model now.

And as for the detail question there is a lot of extra details in my original model that could be added i think for the A2 version, polycounts do not kill FPS the way other things like postprossecing and stuff does..

I remember vaquely that we chatted a bit about the Bird but i havent heard about it in a while.

Are you still intrested to release it under RHS?

We can support you if needed as mentioned before.

Just some report about the devheaven MLOD, which I plan to update in the near future (I did a prototype for A1 and transfer the changes to the original model):

• Geo, visual and fire LOD mixed velka and mala vrtule. Simply exchange the sections in those LOD's).
  • No textures are assigned in the visLOD's, but the materials (so select the faces using the materials and assign the correct texture)
  • Missing shadow LOD's (I will do some, based on elements from the medium and high res LOD plus simplyfication)
  • Missing hit points (I will add them)
  • blur models include the complete chopper (Simply remove all but the first visual LOD from those)
  • Issue on the 2'nd LOD aft rotor (It is assigned as turret, should be mala vrtule)

BR,

mike

Edited by modEmMaik

@ModEmMaik:

It's great that you are working on the helo, really nice. I think the Ka50 pit could be a good off-the-shelf solution but in the long run not really satisfactory. So i am going ahead with making my cockpit, it will probably not be 100% realistic due to the scarcity of cockpit source material but i'll do my best.

@EricM:

Well ok maybe you are right about the detail level. Maybe a beuty lod could be nice, it seems atleast that you have cut some details from the rotors that would be nice to see upclose, but thats a really minor nitpick. And ofcourse, if it werent for you the chopper would not be ingame at all :D

@ShadowNX:

Seeing as this is sort of a community effort right now i dont think it need to be released under the RHS brand but all extra effort is ofcourse welcome

@The community

I need your help in identifying some of the pilot cockpit intstruments, see picture:

mi28Ncockpit.jpg

If you can just write what it is and if you can find a better source image of a similar (preferably russian) instrumment that i could use for reference that would be great.

1)

2)

3)

4)

5)

6) Artificial horizon

7) Radar Warning Reciever?

8) MFD: IR/TV displayed?

9)

10)

11) MFD: Unknown displayed?

12)

13)

Edited by DigitalCenturion
Format--

I'd say 7 is a warning indicator light panel. Not too sure about the other things.

Indeed, looks similar to the one on Mig-29.

Since its a modern glass cockpit, it's fair to assume the only dials left are very basic "survival" instruments (the same ones usually featured inside the white line in russian cockpits - see Ka50)

Not sure but my guess would be :

- 1) Watch ?

- 2) Motor RPM ?

- 3) Altitude ?

- 5) Climb rate / G meter ?

- 10) Heading

- 4/9 : Pressure/Temp ?