Sign in to follow this  
bushlurker

Length of runways (to accomodate C130's, etc)...

Hi guys!

Just thought I'd ask a quick question for a change...

Thanks to Homers most recent beta and actually focussing on the task a bit (for a change) I'm almost at the All Major Roads Down At Last stage on my project... (cue hurrah's and general flag-waving) :D

Before I unleash Shezans Mighty Tool on my unsuspecting landscape I figured it might be a good idea to get at least the runways of my airport(s) positioned...

Theres not an awful lot of room to spare at the locations, so before I start ravaging the surrounding hills with L3DT I figured it might be a good idea to actually know what sort of sized area I need...

At least one of my airports (RAF Lossiemouth) should really be made big enough to accomodate the full range of Arma 2 aircraft and since the C130 seems to be the most demanding I was wondering if anybody had an idea of the minimum runway length I can get away with for a "standard" airport???

I could trial 'n error it I guess, but if someones been there-done that and knows an appropriate length offhand it'd save a lot of messing about.....

Cheers in advance.....

B

Congrats on the milestone bush!

I've tested my everon distance and it seems to work well. I don't have any exact figures for you but I'll put a waypoint at the end and report a distance for you. I take off in a cargo plane quite regularly in that airport.

FYI, I also hear the SU is a difficult one to take off with as well. I'm not 100% on it but I think it requires the same as the cargo plane.

EDIT:

Ok so it seems I can get lift from 1247 meters of runway but to take into account the open field for clearance you might need 1400-1500 meters. I used a shift+right mouse button on the map to get a waypoint for distance. I don't know how accurate that is or if it's any help for you. Good luck broski!

Edited by MadMardigan409

Hi Darkhorse!

Yeah, I guess so... the main runway is 9019 feet! (2.74km)!, and they have a shorter one for the Tornados...

Its the biggest RAF fast jet base in the UK, tho they have C130s a lot as well, and of course the trusty yellow SeaKing RAF Rescue guys - the surrounding area is approved for low flying training at 150 feet minimum alt for Hercs, and a mere 100 feet for the crazy Tornado guys...

I'm not building anything that big!... My terrain is scaled quite a lot, so everything is being scaled accordingly... as long as the average player can heave a Herc into the air before running out of tarmac I'll be happy...

I'll "suggest" the rest of the base without getting too worried about accuracy...

I'll see if I get any other suggestions, but I'm beginning to think my original idea of 1200m main with a 900m transverse might be sufficient - its not far off MadMardigans figure too, which is reassuring :)...

B

For a Bis Herc, 900 m of tarmac would do.

Hey thanks CSJ!... that sounds even better... I'd like to keep things fairly small - in keeping with the scale of the landscape as much as possible...

I'll see how 900m looks on the ground...

B

Hello Bushlurker

The island is well off the AI utes at 700 meters,

Greetings.