Sign in to follow this  
Zipper5

[CAMP] Operation Cobalt

It feels like OFP/Resistance meets Arma 2 to me in many aspects.

Good work.

Marek

Best campaign in Arma 2 until further notice.
Recently, I really enjoyed Operation Cobalt...
I'd like to mention Zipper5's Arma 2 campaign, Operation Cobalt, that tells about the events of Harvest Red from different perspectives. Before giving us eight realistic and well-scripted missions Zipper5 has had the patience to invest in exposition and quite sufficient character presentation. The campaign doesn't even require new mods.

That's how it should be done. If Bohemia would invest in content with comparable methods and skill, Arma 2 could break its chains of nichedom and appeal to mainstream gamers like Operation Flashpoint did.

Credits:

- Celery, Cole, Rellikki, Binkowski, OFPEC & the BI Forums for their help & support.

- All of the many beta testers for their excellent feedback.

- savedbygrace for writing the exceptionally detailed and very helpful review of the campaign over at OFPEC.

- Kronzky for his Urban Patrol Script.

- Bohemia Interactive Studios for the ever-amazing Arma 2.

v1.01 OFPEC Review (8/10)

Story:

Set during the events of Harvest Red, the player takes on the role of Peter Novak, a Private in the CDF. Akula Lopotev has seized command of the Chernarussian Communist Party in a violent coup and renamed it to the Movement of the Chernarus Red Star. He has declared war on the current Democratic government of Chernarus, and began a campaign of 'ethnic-cleansing' to rule out his competition. At first the CDF could contain it, but the ChDKZ slowly grew until they were overwhelmed. The President sent out a call for help, to which the United States sent the 27th MEU to Chernarus aboard the USS Khe Sanh.

release_promo_3_th.jpg release_promo_8_th.jpg release_promo_6_th.jpg

Features:

- 9 missions long.

- Dramatic and interesting story-driven campaign.

- Small and scripted coupled with large and dynamic missions.

- Infantry-centric.

- Play as the Chernarussian Peter Novak, the Russian Vasilly Derevenko, the American Mark Reynolds, and the Chernarussian Karel Svoboda.

- Grunt, leading and special forces missions.

- Custom field dressing healing mechanic.

- Custom music and sounds.

As always, I appreciate any and all constructive criticisms/feedback you guys give me. This was mostly a 1 man project, so I'm sure there will be bugs or other issues. Don't hesitate to notify me about them!

Enjoy!

This campaign is a product of months of hard work and restarts/redesigns, and was a greater effort than anything else I've ever done for the community. I want to thank again all the people who helped me out with it. Without you, it would not have seen the light of day. So, with that, I hope you enjoy the campaign!

Changelog:

v0.1:

- Initial release

- First two missions included (in .pbo format): Cobalt & Devil's Castle

v0.2:

- Now in campaign format

- Devil's Castle: removed floating hanging victims

- Fixed typos

- Added one new mission: Turning Point

v0.3:

- Completely redesigned

- Now includes first 5 missions and all cutscenes to that point

v1.0:

- First finalized release

- Added the last 4 missions and the rest of the cutscenes

- Retaliation: Changed the music playing at the start of the mission

- Retaliation: Improved the attack on the castle

- Operation Cobalt: Fixed the issue with the contact not talking to you if you visit him a second time

- Operation Cobalt: Fixed the soldier in the outro continuously shooting you

- Various other small bits of fine-tuning to the first 5 missions and their cutscenes

- Fixed the many typos

v1.01:

- The Sobor Line: Improved the "last loon" issue

- Operation Cobalt: Fixed when documents are found, other tasks are canceled rather than succeeded

- It's Down to This: Fixed there being too little space in the BMP

- It's Down to This: Fixed script error when Lopotev is killed

- It's Down to This: Improved time limit scripting and conditions

- It's Down to This: Fixed the Mi-24 hovering in mid air

- It's Down to This: Fixed issue with Russians disembarking the Mi-24 at the end of the mission

Combined Operations:

- Now requires, and is compatible with, Arma 2: Combined Operations

- Added a new mission: Revelations

- Added the new field dressing script

- Added loading screen images

- Added more life to each mission and cutscene (civilians, cars, animals, animations, etc.)

- Fixed typos

- Removed cinematic borders from cutscenes

- Operation Cobalt: Fixed intro shot of Reynolds running

- Traitors: Lowered volume of radio song

- It's Down to This: Improved, again, the time limit scripting and conditions

- Credits: Fixed Novak's car being out of the frame

- Credits: Fixed Novak not sitting on his car

- Epilogue: James Stephen now has the proper identity setting

- Epilogue: CDF units replaced with UN units

- Many other minor fixes

CO Hotfix 1:

- Fresh off the Mi-8: Added the missing Functions module (thanks to AZCoder for spotting it!)

Edited by Zipper5
Updated to Operation Cobalt: Combined Operations

Starting the campaign as we speak!:shine:

EDIT: Operation Cobalt actually conflicted with Bardosys PIROG campaign:p Removing PIROG worked, just in case anyone else has the same problem. Now imma off to teh fr0ntlines to blow some sh!t up!

Edited by Jelliz

I just started your campaign and in the first mission where we have to take Stary Sobor the town appears to be clear and the objective on my screen says seek and destroy but I can't find anything. What am I missing?

Awesome news! Your initial release was one of the first user-made campaign/missions i played - Finished it before i even started the vanilla campaign it was that much fun. :p

Also played the previous release, was great to see the other side of the Harvest Red story. Even for a WIP it was very impressive and great fun to play.

Looking forward to finishing off (well restarting, but still enjoying) Operation Cobalt tonight.

Stuck at work for another 5-6 hours though... :(

EDIT: Operation Cobalt actually conflicted with Bardosys PIROG campaign:p Removing PIROG worked, just in case anyone else has the same problem.

That's odd. It doesn't for me. :confused:

I just started your campaign and in the first mission where we have to take Stary Sobor the town appears to be clear and the objective on my screen says seek and destroy but I can't find anything. What am I missing?

That's probably the infamous "last loon" bug. I've tried to combat it as much as possible in that mission but to no avail. Look around for some soldiers or armor that you had to have missed. Then it will end properly.

I'm crashing as soon as it loads after it says I'm about to meet the NCO Tomas. I am using ACE so I'm going to try later if it works without ACE.

Must be a problem on your end, Devil Dogs. Works completely fine here without mods and using v1.05.70951.

I will say, however, that I do not guarantee this campaign will work how it should using mods, including ACE2. I designed it to work with just vanilla Arma 2. I also have no intention of making it compatible with mods. So if you encounter issues when using mods while playing the campaign, then disable the mods. ;)

That's odd. It doesn't for me. :confused:

Yeah i know, went through the PBO with pboview and found nothing that should conflict, neither by filename or anything in the description.ext. Must be something weird on my end.

I've gotten to mission six, running without mods i get a crash when:

The ambush starts

I'm not getting any error message except for "Arma.exe has stopped working". Again i went through the pbo to find anything that could cause the crash, but i havent found anything so far. Must be my computer that cant handle it.

That said, the campaign is brilliant! :yay:

And do you mind if i steal the radio.ogg(the radiobeep sound) file to use in my campaign? It looks much better when i use sideradio or directSay, instead of the "CAPSLOCKDIALOGUE" i get when using sidechat.

I've gotten to mission six, running without mods i get a crash when:

The ambush starts

I'm not getting any error message except for "Arma.exe has stopped working". Again i went through the pbo to find anything that could cause the crash, but i havent found anything so far. Must be my computer that cant handle it.

That's kind of weird but, since you said your computer can't handle it, that may be the issue.

When the ambush starts, multiple units are setPos'd closer to you, so perhaps your PC can't take that?

It works fine on my end, and no one else has reported it yet. Sorry it doesn't work for you. :(

And do you mind if i steal the radio.ogg(the radiobeep sound) file to use in my campaign? It looks much better when i use sideradio or directSay, instead of the "CAPSLOCKDIALOGUE" i get when using sidechat.

Actually, there isn't such a file. When I define a radio dialogue in the description.ext, if you give it a reference to the sound file that goes with it, but there is no actual sound file there, it just plays the beep sound. I did that in case I can add voices to the campaign later on.

Speaking of voices, I am wanting to add them at some stage. However, I want to keep things realistic. Therefore, I'll be looking for Czech, Russian and American voice actors. I would prefer if at least one of the Czech and Russian voice actors could also speak English, because some of the characters need to speak their native tongue and English to communicate. If you're interested in helping, then please feel free to contact me via PM. ;)

Actually, there isn't such a file. When I define a radio dialogue in the description.ext, if you give it a reference to the sound file that goes with it, but there is no actual sound file there, it just plays the beep sound.

So the beep sound is ingame, not part of the .ogg file? Jeez im stupid:j:

That is correct. Well, not that last part. :p

Many thx for the new version! :thumbsup:

ArmedAssault.info Mirror and News:

1379918.gif

We have also added this release to your personal author profile

If a release or contact information is missing, feel free to drop a PM, it will then be added.

And here is the BBCode if you want to add our Mirror to your release post :

[url=http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?game=1&cat=campaigns&id=28][img=http://www.armedassault.info/mirrorgen2/1379918.gif][/url]

If you prefer a text only BBCode please copy and paste the code below :

[b]ArmedAssault.info Mirror :[/b]
[url=http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?game=1&cat=campaigns&id=28]DOWNLOAD - Operation Cobalt (v.1.0) - [11.6 MB] from ArmedAssault.info[/url][/spoiler]

2 mins in game and im left waiting for orders?

after first truck ride.

no triggers around?

Your squad should have disembarked the truck at the base and gone and stood in front of Lieutenant Christopher for an introduction. Did you follow them?

yes?

standing at the waypoint ?

nothing happening?

I dont have ace or any other addons installed so it cant conflict.

Is everyone there? Or has someone got stuck by the truck or somewhere else? Are you able to post a screenshot?

ok figured it out

in 3rd person if you get there before the others it dont trigger.

in first person if you wait till they are all assembled in frt of the LT. then it works.

I'm glad to see that you got it working. ;)

Disabling ACE fixed the crashing for me. Good job on the Campaign, but tracking down the last Chedaki soldier in Stary Sobor was hard, I had to restart several times.

FINISHED!!

My god, this was a fantastic experience. And the last mission definately had that good old OFP feel to it:shine:

Best campaign release to this date, and hopefully there will be more to come?^_^

EDIT: btw the latest beta fixed the crash issues i had with the campaign^_^

Best campaign release to this date, and hopefully there will be more to come?^_^

Thanks mate, that means a lot. And hey, you know if more is coming or not. ;)