Sign in to follow this  
Mr.P

Installation problem

I did some back reading and saw that there were some issues with the Gold Edition copies, but I'm not sure if what's happening to me is part of it.

I -just- bought the game, and I'm getting the crc errors on installation. Usually it goes completely to the end and then boofs out on me (typically after a long delay).

here's my system specs:

Tbird 1.4ghz

256mb DDR RAM

Western Digital 30gb 7200rpm

eVGA GeForce2 MX 400 64mb video

Sound Blaster Live!

ECS motherboard with ALiMagik chipset

Would LOVE to have this fixed........really look forward to playing

That sounds like the US Gold Edition issue. If I remember correctly you can send the faulty Gold Edition to Codemasters and they'll replace it with a working version.

Any queries regarding games, release dates, technical support etc. can be sent to Codemasters Customer Services Department at:

support@codemastersusa.com

US Technical Support Queries relating to Codemasters' games can be made to the following numbers. Lines open Monday through Friday, excepting recognized holidays, 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Pacific Time.

Tel: +1 559 683-4468

Well, I tried one last time and it actually loaded!!! BUT......now I'm having the exact same problem with the upgrade CD......I'm beginnning to think this is a problem with my computer, but I have no idea what.......

No it's not your computer. It's a problem with the US Gold Edition. They somehow produced alot of bad copies and are aware of the problem.

R. Gerschwarzenge, yes there was a problem with the gold edition, but Mr. P has had the problem with both cds. When you get a crc error when copying files, generally means either data on cd is incorrect, or your cd drive can't read parts of the disc.

This could be because of the copy protection (the reason why the gold edition was stuffed), or just dirty lens/cds etc. If its installing off the Gold edition Cd, but has the CRC error then i think it is something either wrong with the CDs or your drive is packing it in maybe.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (CirKutz @ April 26 2002,06:46)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">but Mr. P has had the problem with both cds.  When you get a crc error when copying files, generally means either data on cd is incorrect, or your cd drive can't read parts of the disc.<span id='postcolor'>

Good point.

Mr.P, can you try installing your OFP to some of your friend's computer just to test if the problem is with your cd drive?

And this piece of information is taken from The Avonlady's FAQ.

"Other players have done even stranger things to succeed in installing or upgrading OFP. For example, some CD burner utilities, such as EZ-CD Creator, NeroBurn and especially CloneCD, have been known to cause problems when installing, upgrading and playing OFP. They may even incorrectly overlay your system's ASPI layer, according to some reports. If true, this could explain the CRC/checksum errors you are getting.

After going through all of the above and still not having any luck, OFP player Chris finally got things to work by changing his BIOS program's RAM speed setting from 133 to 100, rebooting and only then installing and upgrading OFP. Worked like a charm, says Chris. Just remember to reset the RAM speed back to 133 after you're done."

Well......

I got the new CD from Codemasters......figured I give it a go, and bam, same problem. Grrrrrrr.......and nope, don't have an alternate at the moment, the only friend with a computer that could run it just has his mobo fry

Mr P, while your mates mb is fried, grab his CD drive. Takes 5 mins to give it a go.

It seems strange though that you are getting to the end of the installation and it bombs out on you.

The problems that Gershwarzenge has mentioned with burning programs, probably won't affect you since the installation is running. I'm guessing this as the problems are most likely more to the copy protection than anything else.