Sign in to follow this  
75th-VFS-Striker

Can't connect to some servers

I'm having a weird problem. I can connect to dedicated servers and also can use the browser and connect to any of the public servers but can't connect to private servers when friends of mine are hosting. I can see the server in the list using the filter and see that it's password protected but when I put in the password it says "connecting failed". I'm thinking it has to be a specific server configuration setting but I've tried all kinds of different settings and still no go.

I've been an avid gamer for close to 10 years now and have configured many routers over the years. I've tried DMZ, I'm using static IP's on my gamer system and others, I'm not using any firewall settings or anti-virus so none of those are the problem. I've even disconnected the router, added or removed ports and gone direct but still can't connect. The problem is definitely not in my router or on my end I believe but I could be wrong.

Does anyone know if this is a server configuration problem and what the settings would be to resolve it?

hi i have the same prob,, its doing my head in i have done everything to try get it going but it wont go,, i like the game to.

Have you investigated whether this might be a signature issue or custom sounds/faces issue?. If you have access to the server log for the server that you are trying to connect to I would take a look at them and see if it says anything when you try to connect. Also check the server config file for client connection restrictions.

i will have a look at that.. where do i find the file.. it does not say anything with joining just connecting failed after a few secs,, but i join others but not my friends,, at gamingni.com

It's location will be defined in the server.cfg file i.e:

logfile = "Server.log";

Example disconnects might be something like:

8:27:48 P5 =VME= uses modified data file - CA;@ace;@acex;@cba;x\caa1\arma_campaign_animations;x\caa1\arma_objectscti;x\caa

18:27:49 Player P5 =VME= connecting.

18:27:57 Player P5 =VME= kicked off - too big custom file 'face.jpg' (43531 B > 0 B).

18:27:58 Player P5 =VME= disconnected.

or

22:13:09 STALKER uses modified data file - CA;@ace;@acex;@acex_pla;@acex_sm;@cba

22:13:09 Player STALKER connecting.

22:13:14 Player STALKER connected (id=33*****).

22:13:23 Player STALKER: Wrong signature for file dta\languagecore.pbo

22:13:23 Player STALKER disconnected.

Edited by [KH]Jman

Yes if he is running a dedicated server, this option is set in the server.cfg file and the game will create a log file.

edit: woops sorry bout that Jman :D

But i beliv we are talking about private games run in the multiplayer lobby of the game, aka not dedi servers?

Try getting the IP of the server and connect through the "remote" option in multiplayer lobby.. dont know why, but somtimes helps

Edited by cri74

No worries cri74 ;)

But i believe we are talking about private games run in the multiplayer lobby of the game, aka not dedi servers?

Yeah agreed if your host is running in non-dedicated it's going to be harder to diagnose.

right i get ya thanks,, i dont think it is a dedicated server man,, hopefully can get it going

Have that same problem with some of my friends when we host games just for eachother or try out new stuff etc. A dedi server is ofc the best way to go, but hosting small games form the player is allso one of the great things in Arma2 :) What i've learned so far is that some routers and ISP dont work that good toghetner, and by hosting a game on your own PC to invite others is allso dependent on server side configuration such as widows defender, router settings, ISP, Antivirus and a lot of windows garbage :p The one hosting the game has to have a router that cat take the number of connections too. But if your the first one connecting after he sets up the game (and others can connect) it has to be something with your router or settings (logical thinking) anyways.. found the remote option to work sometimes. Speculation from my side is this has to do with timeouts and packets.. but i belive Jman actually knows more about min/max errorr send/packets etc... after all he wrote the damn thing im guided by :D (thanks Jman)

Edited by cri74

Jman;1652605']Have you investigated whether this might be a signature issue or custom sounds/faces issue?. If you have access to the server log for the server that you are trying to connect to I would take a look at them and see if it says anything when you try to connect. Also check the server config file for client connection restrictions.

Hi Jman' date='

Sorry it took so long to respond. I've been away on a very long project and wasn't able to respond till now.

Does this apply when you are just trying to run a peer to peer connection? We've each tried to run a dedicated server but get the same problem as we do in peer to peer. Are you saying we should add that line to the "server.cfg" and then see what the logfile says in order to troubleshoot the problem?

BTW, this seems to be a problem with ARMAII only and not ARMAI. I've run plenty of peer to peer games and never run into this issue with ARMAI so Bohemia must have made a change to ARMAII that broke this feature or made it more difficult to use.

---------- Post added at 06:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:16 PM ----------

Yes if he is running a dedicated server, this option is set in the server.cfg file and the game will create a log file.

edit: woops sorry bout that Jman :D

But i beliv we are talking about private games run in the multiplayer lobby of the game, aka not dedi servers?

Try getting the IP of the server and connect through the "remote" option in multiplayer lobby.. dont know why, but somtimes helps

You are correct, that's exactly what we're doing but we also tried running a dedicated server, one on his end and one on mine and had the exact same problem.

Edited by Scottyman