Sign in to follow this  
Wire

British SAS Eddie Stone caught on camera with the SEALs?

Heya guys, I just ran into this pic here, and I want abit of clarrification. =.= its 1am currently, and I cant get to sleep without finding out lol.

So yeah, this pic is of 'supposed' Navy SEALs which arrived on the beach of Monrovia, Liberia in 2009.

alg_navy-seals.jpg

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2009/04/11/2009-04-11_fatal_french_commando_rescue_of_pirate_hostages_underscores_risk_of_sneak_attack.html

With the two lads at the rear, they clearly display the US flag. SEALs given.

However, the bloke to the front confronting the African doesnt bare a flag, or any noticable insignia. Ontop of that, if im not mistaken, the two guys at the front are wearing British DPM (cant be too sure tho, eyes are alil buggered).

I suspect the two guys at the front are British SAS. And even more, I think the guy to the front is Eddie Stone. For those who dont know who Im talking about, here he is:

EddieStone.jpg

(For those who still dont recognise him, I suggest looking him up on Youtube etc)

Can anyone help shed light on this for me? Its pretty realistic that SAS and SEALs operate together, heck, they pretty much regularly do these days. But yeah, answers or explanations would be cool.

p.s. Sidefact. Eddie once said in SAS Survival Episode 1 that he always packed his personal stuff, which included nomex waterproof gloves. He said he always goes on operations with those becoz its waterproof, warm, and very dexterous. If you notice in the pic, hes wearing such gloves.

Cheers,

Wire

So yeah, this pic is of 'supposed' Navy SEALs which arrived on the beach of Monrovia, Liberia in 2009.

Yea those are Navy SEALs during Operation Shining Express which was in 2003, not 2009. I've seen this photo many times. I honestly don't know how you can see anyone's faces let alone flags with how small the picture is. I can barely make out one US flag, but from little I can see this guy looks nothing like Eddie Stone.
Sidefact. Eddie once said in SAS Survival Episode 1 that he always packed his personal stuff, which included nomex waterproof gloves. He said he always goes on operations with those becoz its waterproof, warm, and very dexterous. If you notice in the pic, hes wearing such gloves.
Lots of special forces and regular infantry wear nomex these days.

Can anyone help shed light on this for me? Its pretty realistic that SAS and SEALs operate together, heck, they pretty much regularly do these days. But yeah, answers or explanations would be cool.

Yea it's pretty realistic, but doubtful in this case. They along with US Marines were evacuating American citizens from Liberia. Edited by Big Mac

My mistake, 2003. But nevertheless, I still stand by the fact that the soldier at front looks like Eddie.

As for the nomex gloves, I know alot of other forces use them too, but in this instance, it seems to fit with Eddies persona more.

I dunno, u are right, it seems not likely in this case, but yeah. Thought I might throw it out there and see what sticks

Hi all

The picture is un atributed which is quite bad as it may be pirated or stolen copyright.

The picture seems to be a generic stock "SEALS/Special forces" picture that has been used all over the web:

It is on a couple of photobucket type sites; including this one which I think the News Article used:

http://s776.photobucket.com/albums/yy48/kvaksalver/?action=view&current=alg_navy-seals.jpg

Here on a couple of Israeli sites:

http://www.nrg.co.il/online/1/ART1/645/445.html

http://www.nrg.co.il/online/1/ART2/065/994.html

I have also traced it to US military, Blackwater training and South Korean sites, though not the actual image just that it has been used on them in the past; copyright issues?

I will sit down and do a more thorough search to get to the source later

It is not IMHO a picture of a current operation. I have never heard of an embeded special forces journalist. I think the picture is one taken on a training or demonstration exercize.

The SEALS do train and work with other special forces.

I too think the picture looks like Eddie Stone no great mystery though.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

In before the armchair generals ...

No its not Eddie, although they look similar :)

I will sit down and do a more thorough search to get to the source later

Awesome. More batshit to come, I can't wait.

Hi Prydain

My "batshit" took about 30 minutes.

As I said the image was not from a current operation.

The picture is from an operation in Monrovia, Liberia in August of 2003.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ops/liberia_orbat.htm

There are several similar pictures around from the same period.

The lack of atribution is a bit unfair on the original photographer.

The Image is Published by Associated Press. I will point out to them the image is perhaps being pirated, it certainly is not being attributed which I seem to remember breaks the AP photo license.

There is a more zoomed in version of the picture which is properly atributed on this page:

http://www.daylife.com/photo/0eyD4yV3qLd9d

In that picture the "Eddie Stone" look alike has a US patch on his shoulder.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

To be fair, with datings of the photo being taken, the OP seems to have assumed it was taken in 2009. As, the article it's on is from '09, yet talks of Somali. Not Monrovia.

Plus, if you actually read the original article, it not only states its from 'AP' but also a Photographer called 'Van Zuydam' took it.

That 'batshit' took my approximatly the 3 minutes it takes to read the article.

To be fair, with datings of the photo being taken, the OP seems to have assumed it was taken in 2009. As, the article it's on is from '09, yet talks of Somali. Not Monrovia.

Plus, if you actually read the original article, it not only states its from 'AP' but also a Photographer called 'Van Zuydam' took it.

That 'batshit' took my approximatly the 3 minutes it takes to read the article.

Hi niall0

Right Click whitespace in the Article

Created and Modified on 31/05/2010 :)

Oh and it is Schalk van Zuydam.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

If you are saying so to state that the news paper article was modified today, look at the time. Yes, it's the same one as to when you opened the browser page.

Proof?!

vebt74.png

Back in the days when Hong Kong is still under British control, Hong Kong Police Force Special Duty Unit have been cross-training with Seals, I acturally have seen the picture of SDU divers training with Seals team 4 on range and boat borading training, so I wouldnt be shock seeing SAS cross-training or even join-operating with Seals

That's definitely not Eddie stone in the SEALs pic. if you ask me.

Yeah, agreed now. With the better more higher resolution photo that Walker provided, I retract my statement lol