Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: World tools 1.0 released

Gunnery Sergeant
    this is brilliant shezan, although i have no idea how to import objects to visitor, I've tried importing the .exp file using the import objects script, it processes for a short time but then it rejects all the objects.

Author of the Thread
    Your procedure was formally correct.
    Rejection was due to the fact you must have the objects already loaded on Visitor 3 "Nature object definitions" and their NAMES must match with world tools "item type name"

In the above image:
    1) open Nature Objects definitions in V3, add objects by getting them from your "ca" folder or other custom ones
    2) the program automatically will give the current path and file name to the "object name".
    You can change the object name as you like but you must be sure that this object name MATCHES (3) with the Item type name set on Object Management window in World Tools.

The Name must be freely customized for clarity purposes in V3, but this name must match the imported one (World Tools uses Item Type Name field to export objects).

If imported file doesn't have a reference in the Nature object definition names or Artificial object definition names the import script will fail (reject) all unkown objects.

Hope this was clear, if not i'll be glad to explain you again

Author of the Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by jens198 View Post
    Ok, here I used the forest generator on a larger map (10km x 10km). I used a sat image from Google earth (reduced the number of colors down to 4) as mask-image for the generator. The area I choose has a lot of trees, so in the end Worldtool generated 1.6 mio single trees (wow).

Great
    I wonder how performance goes with 1.6 millions trees on a single map.

In case you have placed too much trees you can reduce them by acting on maximum objects per pixel and placement probability on single colors.

did you have an ingame screenshot of your results? will be very interesting!

Your tool looks like a big improvement from MaskMapper, but could you tell me how you manage to get some randomization in tree placement so we can't get the vegetation grouping we have previously and also get less trees if needed.

@jens198 : The high tree number can be a real issue ... that why I have never finished my 1st Sbrodj ArmA map , more than a million trees and a beautiful but unplayable map ... . What is great here is that you can rebuild a vegetation cover on the spot ... not being depressed by 15 working days loss.

Gunnery Sergeant
    Thanks alot for the picture shezan, very helpful, ill let you know how i get on, cheers!

Gunnery Sergeant
    yep worked a charm, thanks Shezan, i pretty much got good results strait away and it was very easy to use, now ill replace all my vegetation using this tool, thanks again.

Author of the Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
    get less trees if needed.
    To reduce number of placed object you must work on the "object per pixel" number that means the MAXIMUM ALLOWABLE OBJECTS that COULD BE PLACED in a pixel. If you have a world size of 10240 and a map of 512x512 each pixel is a 20x20 meters area. Setting 1 to this parameter is maybe a small value for a forest.

The second parameter is the COLOR PROBABILITY. If your area is too much populated by objects you must reduce color probability on this area.

The right combination between maximum allowable objects and color probability will help you find the correct mix between mask image size and object placement density.

How it works: (for dummies, very long )

Spoiler:

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
    so we can't get the vegetation grouping we have previously and also get less trees if needed.
    About grouping: define a color for a vegetation type:

for example:
    green = a pinus forest
    objects behind green color will be pinus and maybe some rocks.

light green = a betula forest
    objects behind light green color will be betula and betula bushes, for example.

red = rocks
    objects behind could be rocks, with a very low probability of appearance for COLOR PROBABILITY (10%?)

blue = grass field
    objects behind could be sunflowers or other kind of fields, with very high density x sq/mt (high "max object placed per pixel" value) and high "hit" probability on the color itself.

Mixing your mask with your color elevation DEM will allow you to have a fine tuning on your object placement densities... a degradation from light green to dark green can be used, for example, for gradually changing forest density from high to low, and contaminating a betula forest with pinus when the height increases... There are 256 possible color combinations that could be used in the way you like

Let me know if you need more help

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

Finally, this is my mask (reduced to 512x512 for showing purposes).
    It's the merge between altitude mask and forest / vegetation mask

This image is not usable for my needs due to HIGH number of color variation (256) that will make the work too hard for me and will be reduced to 32 colors or so.

Quote Originally Posted by shezan74 View Post
    Great
    I wonder how performance goes with 1.6 millions trees on a single map.

In case you have placed too much trees you can reduce them by acting on maximum objects per pixel and placement probability on single colors.

did you have an ingame screenshot of your results? will be very interesting!
    Well, performance is not a problem. I run ArmA2 on a QuadCore, GeForce 8800GT , Win7 and 4GB RAM. Viewdistance is 3700m. No stutter or anything.

Jens

Author of the Thread
    Nice job

Very very very impressed, this just saved me days on a small map I am building!
    CBF Ship Building Industry
    Former leader of the now closed 1982: Flashpoint in the Falklands team
    Permissions still required to use FLK models, all it takes is asking (via pm not a thread please)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast