Sign in to follow this  
ProfTournesol

Veni Vidi Vici Mod (Romans and Barbarians)

3oW2HT-kRWE

As i'm getting bored with playing ArmA2, I'm currently working on a new mod for OFP, about Roman era. I've used some Internet free models and textures here and there (like the new horse for example, i'll give all possible credits and sources in the readme), i've put a lot of work in texturing and making decent Roman and Barbarian soldiers models.

Basic features are at the moment (as of March 2012) :

Romans (West) :
- Infantry : Light (Auxiliary), Regular (Legion), Low quality (Militia), Elite (Praetorian guard) ; standard bearers (aquilifer, signifier and standard bearer), musician, officers (centurion and optio) and general ;
- Archers : Regular and Elite (Western and Eastern Auxiliary archers) ;
- Cavalry : Light, Regular (Auxiliary cavalry) and Elite (Praetorian cavalry) ;
- Special units : war elephants ; siege equipments : ballista, ram, catapult, heavy onager (newtm) and siege tower ;chariot (hem, well, kind of Ben Hur one...);
- Warship (newtm);

Generic barbarians (mixed of Gallic and Germanic style warriors) (East):
- Infantry : Light, Heavy and Special (Naked warriors...) ; standard bearer and signifier, musician, officer and general ;
- Archers, slingers ;
- Cavalry : noble cavalry, light cavalry ;
- Special units : druid (normal or with healing power);chariot;
- Warship (newtm);

Greeks (Resistance) :
- Infantry : Light and Heavy (hoplite) ; standard bearer, officer ;
- Archers;
- Cavalry;

Persians (East) :
- Infantry : Light (Persians and African auxiliaries), Heavy and Elite (Immortals) ; standard bearer, musician, officer ;
- Archers ;
- Cavalry : Heavy (cataphract).

Civilians :
- Several civilian types (some with tunic newtm tunic);
- Civilian ox-cart;ox transport wagon;

Other small factions :
- (East) : Escaped slaves, legion desertors and gladiators (hem, well, kind of Spartacus revolt...);
- (West) : Barbarians allied to the Roman side with original infantry units ;
- One secret non human faction :)

Island :
- Ancient Nogova island : one big Roman town, one big fortified Barbarian town, several villages and camps, harbours (100% done for beta release)
- Some architectural buildings, in a Roman and Barbarian (or Viking) style;
- Most of the buildings and siege equipments are made by the retired addon maker Stu being re-worked;
- Some objects (torch, crucifix, camp objects...) (newtm)

Missions and missions templates (newtm)

General features :
- Custom GUI ;
- English, Czech and Russian unit indentities changed by Roman, Greek and Gallo-celtic ones (newtm);
- Absolutely non scripted close combat ;
- Striking men sounds ;
- Shields are secondary weapons than can be dropped ;
- Extensive use of OFP materials, so that metallic things shine (at least, as much as OFP allows) : shields, helmets, armors, chain mails and some weapons will shine in the sun.
- Some config work : no radio sounds (thanks Sanctuary), lying animations replaced by crouch ones, several dying anims (thanks dezoom), reworked stances and strokegun anims according to the stance and weapon used (thanks again Sanctuary !);
- Blood textures ;
- Up to 4 arrows may appear on the body of the target when this one is hit by arrows ;
- Stones launched by catapults will remain a few minutes visible on the ground.

Current limitations / remaining bugs :
- The infamous OFP yellow flash when vehicles do fire appears on cavalry/elephant units at night (that's really meh !);
- Archers being given infinite ammo through script to avoid some trouble while allowing reloading after each shot. Edited by ProfTournesol

Cool:) are you also a RTW fan? shame theres no sound.

STGN

Cool:) are you also a RTW fan? shame theres no sound.

STGN

Yes, my sound card isn't detected by Camstudio, i could have added some music but i'm lazzy :rolleyes: About RTW, i tried to make some "RTW like mod" in OFP a few times ago but it wasn't a good idea so move on doing a classic OFP style mod :)

Looks brilliant, how does the shield work, you say its a secondary weapon but can you hit people with it. That has always been a gripe of mine with any game involving shields as you cant hit anyone with it.

Regards,

Dave.

Your another amazing mods! Brilliant as usuall!

It's very good that You still create for OFP. Unless You release it I have a WWI mod :D

But a have a question..

Will be avaiable another formations e.g Turtle formation? All of Romans will cover himself and neighbour in formation with shields in all of this position?

http://pl.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Plik:Testudo_relief_Marcus_Aurelius_column.png&filetimestamp=20081121203741

Edited by Bielow

That's really impressive to see those Roman and Barbarian inside of OFP and trying to kill each other despite hand to hand is sadly not supported by the engine , superb job ProfTournesol !

Fortunately you have not included the Gaesatae in this :D

Looks brilliant, how does the shield work, you say its a secondary weapon but can you hit people with it. That has always been a gripe of mine with any game involving shields as you cant hit anyone with it.

Nope, unfortunately it's not possible to have the shield behave as a weapon, nor a real protection, even if i twicked some of the armor config to take into account armor parts (head, body, legs etc.). It only can be dropped or equip any warrior.

Will be aviable anoter formations e.g Turtle formation? All of Romans will cover himself nad neighbour in formation with shields in all of this positon?

http://pl.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Plik:Testudo_relief_Marcus_Aurelius_column.png&filetimestamp=20081121203741

No again, OFP formations are a real pain, i experienced them a lot with the Napoleonic mod, nothing really convincing. This game is definitely a FPS and is more skirmish orientated than big battles in formations. But Romans were often defeated when not in battle orders, in the German woods particularly, where the XXth Legion was wiped out.

What is next? The Darkages? Castles and knights?

Hehe, why not :)

I thought about making them, i guess i will include them, just need a rework of the legs and of the ...., let's say, inferior body parts :D

Great quality as usual from you Tournesol.

I have to ask... Will there be Asterix, Obelix et Idefix?

Amazing, I'll be tracking this thread from now on ;)

Here we are, not exactly Gaesatae but same kind of mixed barbarian naked (i put the image in a spoiler tag for "chaste eyes") :

barb1.jpg

Wow, you even modeled them !

I can't "unsee" this unfortunately :D

Eum .... maybe a green leave at front of that for the younger players?

OFP is rated for mature players, so I think it's their fault for ignoring the rating if they see a willy. :)

Eum .... maybe a green leave at front of that for the younger players?

I was about to do it, then i decided to use spoiler tags. I hope i don't upset anybody, and if so i'll remove the picture, it's not a big deal. In those times, warriors often fought naked, such as Greeks or Gauls or some Scottish tribes, but i acknowledge that playing with those in OFP is kind of ... weird. Anyway, anybody is free not to play with them.

Now THAT is something new :D.

Maybe you could ask Itweas, to use parts of his Lightsaber, which have a really nice melee combat.

Now THAT is something new :D.

Maybe you could ask Itweas, to use parts of his Lightsaber, which have a really nice melee combat.

Well, the unscripted melee combat is working very well, i tweaked the anim so that the anim and the dammage are synchronized.

Something else new, some big animals :

elephant1.jpg

Well, the unscripted melee combat is working very well, i tweaked the anim so that the anim and the dammage are synchronized.

:eek: You, sir, are awesome.

Another original and innovative mod from ProfTournesol! You've made WWI mod, Napoleonic Wars, Civil War, now this. Nobody before made such mods, which present totally different warfare than in original OFP. We had great and innovative mods (SLX, Sanctuary animations, CoC just to name a few) but something like THIS... You're just like Columbus :D

So, why not some Greeks ?

Awesome!!

Maybe "This is Sparta!!!" ?

Plus Termopile map and Epic missions for it? :)

or maybe Rome vs. Hannibal elephant charge on Rome soldiers that will be nice:D