Sign in to follow this  
Agelesslink

Question about mods.

hey guys im about to invest in a computer specifically for this game. it just looks so awesome! i just have a question about user created content. how hard is it to add on to your computer? do i have to watch out for addons with viruses or anything like that? how hard is it to create my own mods?

thanks guys. sorry if i sound like an idiot.lol

hey guys im about to invest in a computer specifically for this game. it just looks so awesome! i just have a question about user created content. how hard is it to add on to your computer? do i have to watch out for addons with viruses or anything like that? how hard is it to create my own mods?

thanks guys. sorry if i sound like an idiot.lol

nah man you should be good. and its easy to add addons to the game. just a copy and paste really.

Creating your own addons....eeehhh.. based on your determination/commitement really lol

It's easy to get hold of, and this far (5+ years of mod downloading) I've never heard of a download containing a virus. There are some larger websites that have their own addon databases to download from (just check around the addon topics here and you'll get links to them), and then there are some more automated downloading tools (Yoma's Addon Sync and Six Updater) working against custom servers, so no matter how you like to get hold of your addons there are several ways for it.

As for creating addons... Assuming you know your area (coding, modelling, sounds, textures, whatever) there are several guides (and a wiki: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Main_Page ) for more information on the subjects.

If you are new to any kind of modding, then as ebanks say it's all up to your determination :)

At first its confusing if your not used to using mods, which I wasnt when I bought the game almost a year ago, but once you figure it out, and theres plenty of "how to" documents on Armaholic & these forums, it becomes easy & you'll find yourself trying all sorts till you get everything you want added on. Even if you dont fancy that theres still plenty of missions that work with the vanilla version which are easier than mods to install, so theres plenty to keep you going :)

i just looked at all the crap armaholic has and am now 10 times more psyched to play this game. where the heck have i been?!

If you want to try a couple of good campaigns that dont need any mods or add ons to get you started, try Bardosys "chesty puller" campaign & Zipper5's "Operation Cobalt", they should keep you going so you get some good gameplay in before you start playing with mods. Its easy to buy the game & then spend the whole time worrying about what mods you may need & trying to get them all to work while actually not playing the game that much, such is life with such an active community built around this game :p