Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: SIX Projects - Updater Suite, Portal, Config Browser, etc.

Author of the Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedra View Post
    Just seen this - nice! Much, much quicker than than the current six-browser. Looking forward to seeing it develop. What would be really special is if it had support for third party addons (units, vehicles, weapons etc). I don't know how you are populating the database, so don't know how easy this would be! Happy to raise a feature request if you point me at the right dev-heaven place for it. Alternatively you can just tell me to sod off!
    Cheers! The backend is currently much the same though the upgrade from Rails 2.3 to Rails 3.2 isn't a minor one, resulting in better performance and experience

The procedure is as follows:
    - Download+Install the wanted Mods
    * Load the game with the wanted Mods
    * Run the DumpConfig mission to dump the in memory config to the RPT
    * Run the Trimconfig script that parses the RPT, cleans it and saves it as a config
    * Run the Parser script that parses the config to XML, and from XML to Ruby/YAML
    - Upload the YAML file to the server and import it
    - Give the new imported version a name and, assign it to a mod

Starred entries are already automated, the rest should be do-able as well, but are minor manual tasks regardless.

Funnily I've offered Mikero from CWR yesterday to do it for their Mod, perhaps as a prelude to more mods

Before going brutal and get many mods in there, I feel I will have to improve the Parsing and Importing performance at the very least,
    but also more back-end parts of the webapp will need some improving as well

I suppose I could make an utility so that people can generate and submit their own configs at some point.

I see that 'load the game with the wanted mod' would be the bottleneck here then for now. I suppose this allows the game to work out the class inheritance rather than you doing it from a source config file. I will leave my 'drag and drop a config file' request for another day then

"I suppose I could make an utility so that people can generate and submit their own configs at some point."

That would be a great idea!
    Jedra's Addons
    Arma 2 : Enhanced Skills Slider
    Take On Helicopters : Take On Taxi | Jedra's Time Trials | Weapon Indicators | No Radar

Author of the Thread
    Bottleneck maybe, but I don't think "drag and drop a config file" is an impossible task, perhaps for the far future
    I think the "drag and drop a prepared yml file" is a viable option for now, at least once I've created a proper public usable utility to accomplish this.

And yes building from source files instead would be a big task, also by taking it as loaded in the game, we always get the correct picture - the way the game sees it
    Last edited by Sickboy; Feb 19 2012 at 12:54.

So ... is it just me? (I know it isn't, AAMOF.)
    A couple of weeks ago Six started updated 3, 4 ... 8 times each time I launched it. So I tore it out by the roots, installed the newest version, and carried on.
    Now it only updates once ... every other day or so.

Is this normal? is something amiss?
    If you look to see how the system works
    Likely you will find that it doesn't.
    Adapt. Adjust. Overcome.

Author of the Thread
    It's supposed to update if I release an update. The 3, 4, 8 times was indeed a bug. Once every few days seems about right.

I have a question about SixUpdater and A2CO Beta + Okt_NoBlur mod (which removes the rotation motion blur when you turn fast, but needs to be updated for each beta version). Normally I see SixUpdater supports Okt_NoBlur for retail 1.60, and I can add the beta version manually.

However, in recent betas (86xxx?), BIS added the -beta starting parameter, which should be IIRC used for beta folders instead of -mod, to prevent some issues. -beta always gets loaded first.

And due to the way Okt_NoBlur works, it needs to be loaded first for 89201 onwards to work with them (89201 introed new AA - SMAA shader), AFAIK. Which worked like this:
    "-beta=@OktNoBlurBeta;expansion\beta..." so it gets loaded before the Beta patch.
    But if I add it manually to Six, it will get loaded by normal -mod, no? And I can see the beta dirs use the old -mod method as well in Six?

If so, could you add the -beta handling, and perhaps put it into Additional options so we can add our content into -beta command line option as well for OktNoBlur betas to work?

I will cross-post this in Oktane's thread, as I am not sure his mod still requires to be loaded first, but it had been that way when SMAA was introduced in 89201.

Thank you.

Just like to give a big thumbs-up to Sickboy for Six Updater. VOLCBAT's been using it for managing our modlines for a good long while and I can't recommend it enough. I recently had cause to set-up another repository and it was way easier than I had imagined. Truly revolutionises how to manage custom ArmA installations.

Kudos!

Author of the Thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikeleye View Post
    Just like to give a big thumbs-up to Sickboy for Six Updater. VOLCBAT's been using it for managing our modlines for a good long while and I can't recommend it enough. I recently had cause to set-up another repository and it was way easier than I had imagined. Truly revolutionises how to manage custom ArmA installations.
    Kudos!
    Thanks man :-) Glad you guys are enjoying and appreciating the effort!

Be sure to drop me a ticket if anything comes up, bug or feedback / feature request.
    Have a lot more in store for you guys, moving towards the 3rd incarnation of the Updater platform,
    but it's still months away, will start talking about things once we're getting closer

Btw the actual SU thread is here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=118605
    Last edited by Sickboy; Mar 18 2012 at 11:49.

Author of the Thread
    CWR2 Added to the Config Browser!

Example classlists:

Once i've dealth with some issues when processing classes out of order, I44 and Unsung will probably soon follow,
    and perhaps others, if interested.
    Last edited by Sickboy; Mar 19 2012 at 18:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Sickboy View Post
    CWR2 Added to the Config Browser!
    [snip]
    Once i've dealth with some issues when processing classes out of order, I44 and Unsung will probably soon follow,
    and perhaps others, if interested.
    Genius! This is the way forward!

Did you see that Scott_NZ has got Arma2Net writing directly to a database? Wondered if it might be something to investigate with regard to getting configs out of Arma more easily without having to parse output files?

Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 32383940414243444546 ... LastLast