Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

SIX Projects - Updater Suite, Portal, Config Browser, etc.

• SIX Homepage
    • Per project Documentation and Support
    • & More!

[*]Six Updater 2.x

[*]Legacy Six Updater Suite (Old & Superseded by Six Updater 2.x)

• Keeping your mods up2date at high speed with minimal effort and bandwidth usage
    • Gamespy server browser with search and filterability: Join any server automatically with required mods selected, and even installed/updated when available on the network!
    • Including linux, server and remote management options!
    • Latest News!

[*]Six Updater Portal

• Mods overview and stats, incl which servers are running which mods, etc.
    • Realtime Online Gamespy server browser; with search and filterability!
    • History Graph!

[*]Six Config Browser

• Browse the complete ArmA 2 Config with CBA, ACE and ACEX included.
    • Search and filiterability included, aswell as Vehicles, Weapons, Magazines, Ammo and Addons overviews.

WIP as per usual :)

I thought it'd be nice to have a single place for generic discussion about my projects, so here it is :)

Just a small note: I know my apps are generally rough in looks and usage; im spread quite thin and mainly focus on functionality.

Live overview (click it) of current ArmA 2 server/player base and updater stats (GMT TIME):

izlxc4.png

Edited by Sickboy

Good idea with a thread for SiX Updater discussion :cool:

Are you planning on allowing clans to use the sixupdater to host they're own clan mod packs?

Yes, at this time it is even already possible, except that I have to add the mod name and on which network they are hosted, to the suite,

or you must supply your users with a custom six-updater.yml, specially setup for your mod/server.

Still planning on allowing people to manage their own mods and mirrors.

ATM it works like this:

You need to setup an rSync mirror, either on Windows with Cygwin, or with a virtual machine running linux.

Once setup, you can upload your mods to it, then let me know your server ip address, and the mod names.

I then add your mods to the list, add a new network and assign the mod to the network.

For server/clan specific mods I think it's important we devise a good naming scheme though, like clantag-modname.

If this sounds like music to your ears, let me know and i'll supply all the required details.

I am also open to suggestions of Mods to be added to the official network.

One of the objectives of the updater was to minimize the need for duplicating mods (and different versions), especially due to the ever growing popularity of modular addons.

But i'd prefer a ticket for those as tracking this in a thread could get rather tedious :P

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/six-arma-updater/issues

Edited by Sickboy

Wow, Very informative, Thanks very much, As much as the six updater can be a pain in the arse, I literally cant live without it, I know theres yomas, Which i/we currently use for the clan mods, but why have 2!

Thanks sickboy

Nice to see a thread for this, I actually have come to really appreciate SIX updater over the past few months. I have a couple questions though: how important is it to keep the updater itself updated? Often I will check here (http://dev-heaven.net/projects/list_files/six-arma-updater) and see that a new version is available, sometimes every few days. So I download the new version, uninstall the old one, and then install the new one. Is there a more efficient way to do this?

Thanks for your work SB :)

Nice to see a thread for this, I actually have come to really appreciate SIX updater over the past few months. I have a couple questions though: how important is it to keep the updater itself updated? Often I will check here (http://dev-heaven.net/projects/list_files/six-arma-updater) and see that a new version is available, sometimes every few days. So I download the new version, uninstall the old one, and then install the new one. Is there a more efficient way to do this?

Thanks for your work SB :)

Hehehe. Well, there's 2 type of updates going on:

My libraries / applications in the form of Ruby gems, which get auto updated once you start the Updater Web/GUI.

However, for some people auto-update didn't work (until recent versions), therefore it was important for me to keep the setup.exe up2date with my latest libraries.

The other type of updates is the runtime environment.

Ruby programs need a Ruby interpreter to run, this is what you basically install when installing the setup.

On windows, this is not very well supported :) I hope to have covered everything now, so that auto-update should suffice,

Unless dramatic changes to the runtime environment are required in the future, for whatever reason.

Past few weeks / days have been very busy, with a lot of fixes/improvements to both the runtime environment aswell as my libraries,

this is why there have been that many setup updates :P

Edited by Sickboy

Hi Sickboy, just a quick question on the updater (ive tried searching this forum & checking FAQ's in the six portal, but I must be looking in the wrong place). How do I install other Arma 2 mods in six updater? I have ACE with ACE_X, PLA, SM all running fine & they update with no problems when i run the updater, but I dont know how to download other mods from there, specifically I was trying to add "Aiaktalik" island, and I found it in the mods list in the portal but dont know where to go from there to get the updater to download & install it, or what im meant to click? Just a quick pointer in the right direction would be a great help. thanks :)

Hi Sickboy, just a quick question on the updater (ive tried searching this forum & checking FAQ's in the six portal, but I must be looking in the wrong place). How do I install other Arma 2 mods in six updater? I have ACE with ACE_X, PLA, SM all running fine & they update with no problems when i run the updater, but I dont know how to download other mods from there, specifically I was trying to add "Aiaktalik" island, and I found it in the mods list in the portal but dont know where to go from there to get the updater to download & install it, or what im meant to click? Just a quick pointer in the right direction would be a great help. thanks :)

Sure, clone one of the default presets: http://six.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Six_Updater_Suite+Usage#Attaching%20a%20server%20to%20a%20preset (Or create a new one)

then add the mods you want to the new custom preset: http://six.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Six_Updater_Suite+Usage#Attaching%20custom%20mods%20to%20a%20preset

The video example is from an older version but it fits mostly.

Edited by Sickboy

Thanks for the quick reply! I did see the clone button but was unsure what it did so I left it alone, il have another go now! :)

I've done what it says on Dev-Heaven and it creates the rsync file in the mod folder. Tried to sync some mods to see if it worked however it sees them as version 0 as the current version. If I run an update it tries to download the entire mod into the pack folder. Is this all the 'conversion' does or should it see that I already have all the required pbos present.

My goal here is to not have to download all of ACE and many islands that where installed with traditional means or Yoma.

Version 0 is correct.

When you run the convert command it should save all mod files as .gz's in the .rsync/.pack folder.

Once you run the mod through the updater, the files will be updated to the latest version.

Of course depending on the version you converted, if it is very old for instance, there can be a lot of changes, still rSync delta patching is your friend here :)

Don't be fooled by how rSync represents the progress display though.

it will run through every changed file and go from 0-100% many times with large jumps and speeds like 20 MB's / second, because this data is already available on your system or partially available so it can be delta patched.

Some info on rsync: http://six.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Six_Updater_Suite+Overview#Why%20use%20Rsync?

Especially for ACE mod it can seem there are a lot of files redownloaded or so, however this is because for every .pbo file there is a signature counter part, and these change for every pbo file on every update.

These files are extremely small though.

Edited by Sickboy

Version 0 is correct.

When you run the convert command it should save all mod files as .gz's in the .rsync/.pack folder.

Ok great news, I have however then done something wrong, as the rsync folders just contain; pack folder, repository yml and config yml. pack folders contain; repository yml. They are not full of gzipped pbos

Edit: I overlooked theses at first as I get them always at the start of the updater gui. They don't seem to negatively affect the main updater process.

C:\Program Files\Six-Updater>tools\ruby\bin\ruby.exe six-rsync.rb --convert "C:\

Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\@ACE"

Could not verify if you are running as administrator:

Process::Error: The parameter is incorrect.

Processing: C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\@ACE/.rsync

Adding .

Calculating Checksums...

There is only one user on this PC and its XP, no other programs complain about admin. Edited by SAbre4809

The admin message is no problem, you're probably on a windows version before Vista :P I'll start hiding it soon.

Please run the convert process with extra parameter: -l

this will log to C:\documents and settings\yourname\application data\six-rsync\logs

Please create a ticket and attach log files: http://dev-heaven.net/projects/six-arma-updater/issues/new

Edited by Sickboy

Ok fixed, it seems it doesn't like backslashes, after changing "C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\@ACEX_SM" to "C:/Program Files/Bohemia Interactive/ArmA 2/@ACEX_SM"

It works fine.

Thanks for the help. :)

Ok fixed, it seems it doesn't like backslashes, after changing "C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\@ACEX_SM" to "C:/Program Files/Bohemia Interactive/ArmA 2/@ACEX_SM"

It works fine.

Thanks for the help. :)

Cheers for the feedback.

Can't verify if you're administrator message suppressed in six-uac-0.1.5

Backslashes in paths fixed in six-rsync-0.6.8

C:\>six-rsync --convert "C:\games\arma2\@CBA"

Processing: C:/games/arma2/@CBA/.rsync

Adding .

Calculating Checksums...

Packing 2/35: C:/games/arma2/@CBA/addons/cba_ai.pbo

Packing 3/35: C:/games/arma2/@CBA/addons/cba_ai.pbo.cba_b97.bisign

Packing 4/35: C:/games/arma2/@CBA/addons/cba_arrays.pbo

Packing 5/35: C:/games/arma2/@CBA/addons/cba_arrays.pbo.cba_b97.bisign

Packing 6/35: C:/games/arma2/@CBA/addons/cba_common.pbo

Packing 7/35: C:/games/arma2/@CBA/addons/cba_common.pbo.cba_b97.bisign

Packing 8/35: C:/games/arma2/@CBA/addons/cba_diagnostic.pbo

Packing 9/35: C:/games/arma2/@CBA/addons/cba_diagnostic.pbo.cba_b97.bisign

Packing 10/35: C:/games/arma2/@CBA/addons/cba_events.pbo

Packing 11/35: C:/games/arma2/@CBA/addons/cba_events.pbo.cba_b97.bisign

Packing 12/35: C:/games/arma2/@CBA/addons/cba_hashes.pbo

Packing 13/35: C:/games/arma2/@CBA/addons/cba_hashes.pbo.cba_b97.bisign

Packing 14/35: C:/games/arma2/@CBA/addons/cba_help.pbo

Packing 15/35: C:/games/arma2/@CBA/addons/cba_help.pbo.cba_b97.bisign

Packing 16/35: C:/games/arma2/@CBA/addons/cba_main.pbo

Packing 17/35: C:/games/arma2/@CBA/addons/cba_main.pbo.cba_b97.bisign

Packing 18/35: C:/games/arma2/@CBA/addons/cba_network.pbo

Packing 19/35: C:/games/arma2/@CBA/addons/cba_network.pbo.cba_b97.bisign

Packing 20/35: C:/games/arma2/@CBA/addons/cba_strings.pbo

Packing 21/35: C:/games/arma2/@CBA/addons/cba_strings.pbo.cba_b97.bisign

Packing 22/35: C:/games/arma2/@CBA/addons/cba_ui.pbo

Packing 23/35: C:/games/arma2/@CBA/addons/cba_ui.pbo.cba_b97.bisign

Packing 24/35: C:/games/arma2/@CBA/addons/cba_vectors.pbo

Packing 25/35: C:/games/arma2/@CBA/addons/cba_vectors.pbo.cba_b97.bisign

Packing 26/35: C:/games/arma2/@CBA/addons/cba_versioning.pbo

Packing 27/35: C:/games/arma2/@CBA/addons/cba_versioning.pbo.cba_b97.bisign

Packing 28/35: C:/games/arma2/@CBA/addons/extended_eventhandlers.pbo

Packing 29/35: C:/games/arma2/@CBA/addons/extended_eventhandlers.pbo.cba_b97.bisign

Packing 30/35: C:/games/arma2/@CBA/changelog.txt

Packing 32/35: C:/games/arma2/@CBA/store/function_library.tar

Packing 34/35: C:/games/arma2/@CBA/store/keys/cba_b97.bikey

Packing 35/35: C:/games/arma2/@CBA/store/wiki.tar

Edited by Sickboy

Very nice! I use that page a lot and it's certainly snappier.

Also, I have a general question about the SIX network. How long does it usually take between BIS uploading a beta patch here (http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php) and that patch being on SIX for everyone to install?

Thanks

Edited by AnimalMother92

Features keep popping up! Config: to database and back again!

:D

@AnimalMother:

Cheers :)

I am usually notified quite quickly once the beta is out there, but there is no guarantee that I am available directly to handle it. Most of the time the one on the updater is updated within 30-120 minutes after bis releases it.

Have just seen your queryservers project, very interesting.

Can I just say here and now (for want of a better place to sew this particular seed) it makes a strong case for standardised mod folder names but I personally baulk at excessively long names like @WarFXParticles or @WinterCamos as they make for very long command lines, especially on clients which generally run many more mods than servers. I might be alone in this but I feel a common naming convention would evolve more readily with names like @WARFX and @WCAM, these might be registered in the same way as OFPEC tags.

Cheers :) I knew someone would, eventually :P (The feats are also available in the Updater Suite btw, incl auto mod select)

I agree about the modfolder naming that this can be improved, especially considering the shortcut limitations on Windows (though worked around when running from a launcher or from commandline etc).

I wonder if a tag registry for them would work out... I'll at least look at the namings myself and update where possible.

Anyway, i'm mostly prototyping features and try to find out their usefulness, or spark ideas in others. I could certainly use feedback on everything :)

Another update: Convert_modfolder_to_Updater_Full_integration

Oh and the six-updater-web-0.16 update should speed up the gamespy processing lots!

Edited by Sickboy

woo! That's great. I always reference that page when designing my mission loadouts, so cheers for organizing the content :thumbsup:

woo! That's great. I always reference that page when designing my mission loadouts, so cheers for organizing the content :thumbsup:
No problemo. Don't be hesitant to provide feedback or request new functionality though!

It's out there in it's prototype state to fantasize about what is possible :)

Anything you need?