Sign in to follow this  
Brainbug

CH-53GS Bundeswehr version and CH-53 Yas'ur Israeli Air Force version

First, a remark:

This addon is based on and requires the Operation Unknown CH-53/CH-47 addon by SFC.ITZHAK:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=91026

He is unfortunately very hard to reach (obviously very busy with that weird thing called "real life"^^), so the last thing I heared from him when I asked for the texture PSD files to work on was that he would send them to me. That didn't happen, but I hope I'm not totally wrong to assume that he is ok with my work. If he has any objections, I won't hesitate taking this down. My initial idea was to ask him to incorporate my textures into his addon, and that is still a viable option. But I don't want to wait longer with the release and give the people something to play with. And technically it is better to split it in two anyway, I think.

If he releases a new version of his addon, my pack should theoretically continue to work and (since it inherits the config) include his bugfixes automatically.

Now about my work:

I've modified his textures and created several versions of the German Bundeswehr (CH-53GS) as well as the Israeli Ya'sur. Mind though that I didn't adjust the model, so there may be some small details that are not 100% realistic, e.g. the German version has a different countermeasures system. Also some color schemes are, despite used extensively on Bundeswehr vehicles in Afghanistan, not actually found on the precious few choppers in service there, but that's probably only because they never find the time to paint them. Another shortcoming is the number, the 84+98 belongs to exactly one unit, so if you put more than one chopper on your mission, they SHOULD have different numbers, sadly I'm unable to do that though. All in all, this is not a super-high-quality and super-realistic addon for the simulation purists. But my thought was, when you are playing BW units, it is still better to fly a CH-53E that is painted like a CH-53GS should be painted, than riding into battle in a grey US Marine chopper, right? So here they are.

I also came upon the idea to add the Israeli version of the CH-53 as a little thank you to SFC.ITZHAK, and for the sake of completeness (US Marines, Bundeswehr and IAF are the only main operators of this bird). Technically, there are even more details that are not accurate, like a missing winch etc., and because I can't read Hebrew, the writings may look a little weird - but then again, you are not forced to use it. ;)

Versions available:

- Bundeswehr

CH-53GS Winter .......... winter pattern: white, dark green

CH-53GS Olive .......... plain olive version, mainly used (even in Afghanistan)

CH-53GS Woodland .......... 3-color scheme for regions with dense vegetation: green-black-brown

CH-53GS Woodland ('84 scheme) .......... older camo colors: dark green, medium green, black

CH-53GS Desert Tan .......... plain sand colored

CH-53GS Desert 2-color .......... sand colored with medium brown pattern

CH-53GS Desert 3-color dark .......... pattern for arid regions with vegetation: sand-brown-green

CH-53GS Desert 3-color light .......... pattern for desert regions with very spars or no vegetation: sand, grey, pale green

- Israeli Air Force

IAF CH-53 Yas'ur Israeli Air Force version

They can all be found in the editor under Empty->"OU Air".

kcfmj9af.jpg

nfjn2an6.jpg uwilc7gy.jpg

gpogg874.jpg

a29i4ygg.jpg

Again, mind that you need the Operation Unknown addon linked above to get this to work.

Download link:

(removed, see Thread)

No bisign and key of course, would not make any sense as long as the parent addon is still beta.

Edited by Brainbug

Thanks for the release! :thumbsup:

EDIT: Download link removed!

Edited by Imutep

I haven't looked into how to do signing so far. But as I stated above, it's useless to sign my addon if you still require another addon that is not signed. I could theoretically steal all his stuff and make my addon a standalone version, but I won't do that on purpose, that's not the right way. Even this release is on reserve, since I can only assume the consent of the original author.

When (if?) the main addon is out of its beta phase and gets signed and if my derivative work is formally approved by SFC.ITZHAK, then I won't hesitate to sign it.

@Foxhound: Thanks!

First of all, that's a very very very very cool work! :yay::yay: However my RPT shows some problems :(

Maybe you can have a look into again and fix them? I don't know if those errors are caused by your modification or by SFC.ITZHAK's work.

Here's the RPT: http://arma.pastebin.com/yJZBRu1S

Anyway I hope you'll continue your work. I'm eager to see more addons made by you :)

wow :D

impressive! and thanks for your work Brainbug! :ok:

hmm, just a small remark - on the pics your choppers look a little bit like "hot from the press" or brand-new.

just a little bit "dirt" would look more realistic, especially for example if you use the oliv version on a map like Afghanistan with lots of dust.

but as I said - great work so far! ;)

^ I think he would need the PSDs for detail like that. Well, not really, but it could probably shave a week or so off his workload.

Well, I have PSDs now, my own. I erased the "Marines" writing and other markings from the original texture, that indeed took a while (which I had hoped to cut by asking him, but in vain), but the subsequent work was of course resulting in a heap of layers.

I could add some dirt, I'm not sure though that it would look good. Mind that most helicopters operate in the air and usually try not to dip into mud, and dust is blown off by that small ventilator on top. ;) Also helicopters are maintained intensively (which includes cleaning), so there is no reason why there should be some old dirt or even rust stains, they actually do look new albeit they are some 40 years old.

dont you think you should have waited for a response from Itzhak before you start buggering with his addon?

I dont want to start a flame war here but when i spoke with him today he was rather adgitated that people keep editing his addon before he has even completed it yet. He was planning to release an update.

Such things happen if impatient people don't like to wait...

Now its seems better to take this dl down until all is sorted out and SFC.ITZHAK had released his update and gave the permission to modify his work. I think that SFC.ITZHAK and Brainbug can discuss it in a friendly manner and perhaps find a solution. :)

dont you think you should have waited for a response from Itzhak before you start buggering with his addon?

I dont want to start a flame war here but when i spoke with him today he was rather adgitated that people keep editing his addon before he has even completed it yet. He was planning to release an update.

:j:.....:)

Edited by Meatball0311

Well I had feared that that would happen. I've removed the link and sent a message to the mirrors to delete it. Damn, my first release and gone bad already. I'll also send a PM to sfc.Itzhak trying to explain it, but if he is mad at me that probably won't help anymore. I really shouldn't have done this.

:o

Yeah i told him he needed to post here or in the OU thread. I am actually surprised he has not posted yet. Please understand hes a really good guy and im sure he will get in touch with you. Hes a busy fella with real life and a baby on the way.

Im sorry you had to take your links down. I hope you two come to an agreement and get them abck up.

Just a little more patience is all it takes....

didnt someone write a song about that..... oh yeah Guns and Roses..... but most of the people on here these days only hear them on the classic rock station :)

He has sent me a PM where he didn't sound angry at all (yay!), and I asked him to decide what direction this matter will take, I'm open for everything. I'm waiting for the answer now, but I'm confident that this stuff won't end up in the trashcan completely.

it´s good to hear that you two guys get this sorted!

hope you will find somehow an arrangement to get your work published.

I´m sure a lot of people would appreciate different versions of the CH-53.

looking forward to a new official release! ;)

I don't want to rain on your parade but some of the camos of the German versions are simply wrong. Our CH-53s are mainly painted in oliv green while some have a green-green-black camo. Desert (Afghanistan) camos or a winter one aren't existing as far as I know.

Edited by T.S.C.Plage

I know, but that's more because the few choppers in service in Afghanistan are too busy to be repainted, and it might not make too much sense to try to camo such a loud and big chopper anyway. The patterns are however not fantasy patterns (although I might fine-tune the colors still a bit so that they fit better to e.g. the BWMod stuff), they are commonly used for Bundeswehr vehicles. The winter camo is also used in winter warfare, but that is of course a theoretical NATO scenario. But as soon as the Taliban start fighting in the Arctic AND build up a strong air force that demands that parked choppers are camoflaged properly, you'll quickly see a winter camo pattern on these birds ;)

So you can choose whether you want a 100% realistic color, or a theoretically possible camo that fits good to the map you are playing on (e.g. Duala or Hürtgenwald). You are not FORCED to use what you don't want. Be glad I didn't add a pink version...

I know, but that's more because the few choppers in service in Afghanistan are too busy to be repainted, and it might not make too much sense to try to camo such a loud and big chopper anyway. The patterns are however not fantasy patterns (although I might fine-tune the colors still a bit so that they fit better to e.g. the BWMod stuff), they are commonly used for Bundeswehr vehicles. The winter camo is also used in winter warfare, but that is of course a theoretical NATO scenario. But as soon as the Taliban start fighting in the Arctic AND build up a strong air force that demands that parked choppers are camoflaged properly, you'll quickly see a winter camo pattern on these birds ;)

So you can choose whether you want a 100% realistic color, or a theoretically possible camo that fits good to the map you are playing on (e.g. Duala or Hürtgenwald). You are not FORCED to use what you don't want. Be glad I didn't add a pink version...

As far as I know each helicopter that goes to the dock for a bigger maintenance or an upgrade gets the standard BW three color camo.

You won't see any other camos like on the ground vehicles in Afghanistan or a winter version because they're all painted or sprayed with "non-permanent" colors and they're not used on aircrafts for a couple of reasons.

But maybe I'm simply riding the realism horse to hard. At least it's your decision and you can do what ever you want...even a pink version. But do me a favour and reserve that for the Israelis. ;)