Sign in to follow this  
norsu

Converting OFP missions to ARMA 2 - How to?

Is there an "easy" way to convert old OFP missions to ARMA 2? I tried it myself but after spending a long time replacing all classes and changing missing objects to A2 objects I finally gave up due to constant crashing. I'm mainly interested in converting very simple coop missions that don't use any fancy scripts.

Also does anyone know does SAP Everon for ARMA 2 share the same coordinates with original OFP Everon? There are tons of early coops for OFP Everon that I would like to try converting.

If it's *that* simple you might as well re-create it. Other than that hopefully other people would have more useful advice :(

The biggest problem you have are missing objects, especially when one of the editor updates or 3rd party addons are used. Another one are used objectIDs which are no more available or no more working, e.g. (!alive object 12345) is no more working in A2. Converting scripts to sqf is another problem.

Also some older missions have no ; at the end of line in description.ext which ends in a CTD. And a few very old missions I had so far had commas instead of semicolons to seperate the commands in an init line or trigger.

If you solved all these problems you have done most of the work. For me another problem is to find a suitable location when the original island is not available.

The coordinates of SAP Everon should still be the same, atleast I haven't spotted any differences yet. Just the layout of the villages is a bit of a problem.

I converted a lot of old OFP missions so far, most just for my own use and using OFPIP islands, a few I had to give up on after a while for the one or other reason but many also are just working fine once you're gone through the painful process editing the mission.sqm.

Except waiting for CWR² to be released there is no easy way to get the old missions work with little to no efforts.

You could create a small replacement addon which brings back the original classnames using A2 units but then there is yet another problem: The 8 cargo seat M113 / BMPs are no more available so you still need to manually edit the mission here.

Thanks W0lle, maybe I'll try again today. I guess all those sounds like "Eat led commie scums!" are not available? What about markers?

Replacing objects was pretty easy actually as there are replacements for pretty much every OFP object available. It's the CTD that puts me down as I can't even see a reason for it in rpt :(. Maybe it's the description.ext.

Anyone tried OAC for ArmA with CAA1? That could be the easy way.

Edited by Norsu

It's most probably the description when you have a CTD, however there should be atleast a dialogue window giving a hint.

The sounds are all gone and you will get an error both on screen when playing the mission and in the rpt saying "sound not found". The (default) markers are still present and visible but turn into an empty marker once you edit them because the classnames changed, e.g. "pickup" is now "mil_pickup".

Never did much with OAC except taking a quick look at it.

If you're unable to locate the CTD reason let me know what mission it is or provide me a link and I take a look at it.