Mozzak

How to insert custom sounds (dialogues) in Arma 2 +Voice acting request.

Okay,so I want my character to say something I would record in my Wave pad and export as .wav

How do I put it in sound.pbo (or whatever) so I could load it in the editor?

Thanks,and if someone is up for voice acting,I need a couple of lines

Line 1 : "Am I the only one breathing here?" - (Yeah btw the mission is called Lone Wolf and the main character is alone because the chernorussian forces killed his teamates and all the civilians (well most of them)

Line 2 : "Now...where did he go?" - Monologue.Saw a civilian running around and didn't catch him.

Line 3 : "Hmm...I can hear them..." - Hears a dialogue between 2 cher.russians just around the corner.

Thanks

Gettting units to say what you want is not that easy.

First of all you record the dialogue. Then convert this file to a .wav

Now, you need to edit in (get the free program Audacity).

In Audacity, open the file, there is a little down arrow next to an X. Click the down arrow and choose "split stereo track"

Next click the same arrow and choose "mono"

Now click that arrow one more time and Choose "set sample format" Choose 16bit.

Now export the file as a Ogg Vorbis file.

Now you have the sound that Arma can recognise. Good.

next step you need to create a .lip file so Arma 2 knows how to move the lips.

Get a copy of BI Tools, and when you have it installed, simply drag and drop your .ogg file onto Wav2Lip, bingo, this creates a .lip file in the same directory as your sound file.

Now you need to create a folder called "sound" in your mission directory. Put both the .ogg file and the .lip file in this directory.

In the mission folder (Not the sound folder) Create a description.ext file to declare the sound file(s). Do a search here for how to create a description.ext file.

Last thing, call the sound file in the editor. Eg, on a unit's init file write "this say "speech1" " (or the name of your sound file). Or call it through a trigger, eg: " Man1 say "speech1" ".

If all is well he will say it and his lips will move.

Good luck!

next step you need to create a .lip file so Arma 2 knows how to move the lips.

Get a copy of BI Tools, and when you have it installed, simply drag and drop your .ogg file onto Wav2Lip, bingo, this creates a .lip file in the same directory as your sound file.

Well, I wondered how you did that and I was about to ask! This was a very useful post - thanks!

One step I forgot to post is that when you are in Audacity, after you "Split Stereo Track", hit the X on the bottom track to delete it. You only want one which you then designate as "mono".

This isn't necessarily a better method for making AI talk, but if you use directSay or kbTell, you don't need to create the .lip file yourself, the lips move automatically (I guess those commands generate their own .lip).

However, using these methods require that you define the dialogue in CfgRadio, so it doesn't save that much time (kbTell is more of a pain because you need an extra folder to keep BIKB files). Although using directSay also means that the on-screen dialogue is displayed with the same command that makes the unit talk, so you don't have to have separate commands to make the unit 'say' the sound and also 'sidechat' or whatever for the text.

This isn't necessarily a better method for making AI talk, but if you use directSay or kbTell, you don't need to create the .lip file yourself, the lips move automatically (I guess those commands generate their own .lip).

However, using these methods require that you define the dialogue in CfgRadio, so it doesn't save that much time (kbTell is more of a pain because you need an extra folder to keep BIKB files). Although using directSay also means that the on-screen dialogue is displayed with the same command that makes the unit talk, so you don't have to have separate commands to make the unit 'say' the sound and also 'sidechat' or whatever for the text.

That is useful to know. I have already set up most of my dialogue in BIKB files and was just about to start sourcing and recording the dialogue. In my tests so far I have not seen any lips move with kbtell, but this may be just that I was not looking for it, or maybe it only happens when there is a sound file setup in the config for each dialogue piece?

Yes there needs to be a sound file, that's how the .lip synching works - the lips move for however long the sound is, and also sort of follow the words being spoken. I think it looked better in OFP though, the Arma 2 effect is sort of weird and rubbery.

Hi, I've been searching the forums and I am not really sure where else to go. I would like to insert a sound I recorded. I am not sure how to set up the Arma tools. I am doing this for Arma 3. I have the sound recorded and the tools downloaded I am just not sure what to launch. Do I launch Arma 3 Tools, Object Builder, Terrain Builder? If I have to use Arma 3 Tools how do I set it up? I saw one thing on setting it up, but I got confused. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks