wraith_v

ATTN NOOBIES! - New to ArmA II or OA - Here's the place for your questions

In the options you might for example might set the "Y" key to open a door you might also select the "Y" key to reverse a vehicle.

If you select a key to do 2 tasks, the key appears as red text in the options screen.

You can still use that key to do both tasks.

You can select any key to do anything but if any key is in red text be aware that it can lead to confusion.

If you select a key to do 2 tasks, the key appears as red text in the options screen.

You can still use that key to do both tasks.

They still both work? I didn't know that! :)

I have but one question, I got arma 2 a while ago but stopped playing it and slowly getting back into it.

Is ACE worth it if yourr only going to play single player.

I used to use it a bit online back in the day but that is when I was part of a clan and those days are long gone .I currently do not have the time and/or patience to join another one anytime soon. So for basic singleplayer (and use of the editor) is ACE worth it? Do you use it for single player?

Thanks in advance

I use it also for singelplayer and it makes long range combat much more fun.

Okay, so I have spent the past couple of days reading through this thread looking for what I need to do first. Combined Ops will be coming in the mail today, and I plan on playing multiplayer. I'm brand spankin new to the Arma world. Can you guys provide me with an up to date mod list on what I need to download first. I started to make a list.. but I read several posts on other sites , including youtube videos, saying certain ones are out dated and don't apply to Combined Ops. I'm in so much confusion...

Shoot, i'm hoping I even do the whole modded folder thing right. (Not computer savvy AT ALL). I know I'm going to end up screwing it up some how, just need a paved road for me to do it on. I would much appreciate it, if you can provide me with a link to go off of.

Here's what I have so far (correct me if wrong):

1.) Download the latest patch for Combined Ops ( Can you provide me with the correct link please?)

2.) Some sort of compressed thing? Winap or 7zip whatever it's called?

3.) CBA

4.) ACE2

And what's the best thing to download for CO that will install the mods need to join a server?

Also, is the vanilla thing you guys speak of, is that a mode or a server type? Confused?

Edited by PONKEYDENIS

Honestly mate. I think you should leave the mods for a while until you get your head around the standard (vanilla) game. There is tons to get used to so I would strongly advise against making your Arma life even more difficult right from the start. However, I would recommend you buy the DLC package BAF (British Armed Forces).

Also, is the vanilla thing you guys speak of, is that a mode or a server type? Confused?

Vanilla is just the plain game, with no mods.

As for the no mods thing, I'd say just avoid everything that affects gameplay. If you want, a couple of visual and sound mods can make the game a hell of a lot more fun without making it more difficult.

Download JSRS (its a soundmod) and play the game for a while, get used to the gameplay and feel, then go for ACE!

@PONKEYDENIS: All the above are right, you should get used to the vanilla game before trying ACE. But to add some visual/audio quality without effecting gameplay I'd suggest getting WarFX Blastcore, JTD Fire & Smoke and JSRS soundmod. That's just my 2 cents though, there isn't exactly any rules on how to mod your game, but avoiding ACE to begin with is some pretty good advice.:)

@PONKEYDENIS: All the above are right, you should get used to the vanilla game before trying ACE. But to add some visual/audio quality without effecting gameplay I'd suggest getting WarFX Blastcore, JTD Fire & Smoke and JSRS soundmod. That's just my 2 cents though, there isn't exactly any rules on how to mod your game, but avoiding ACE to begin with is some pretty good advice.:)

Just be aware that the mods *might* break your vanilla SP campaign missions. Or user-made SP missions. Especially the JTD (which is rather nice, though) that does have a big effect on the environment (self-propagating fires might kill you even in an intro animation, breaking a mission right from the start). So I suggest only vanilla for the campaign, or maybe just with the added goodness of JSRS sound (it really makes the firefight more intensive) and WarFX Blastcore for different (better sometimes) explosions/effects. The JTD is fun, but beware of the fire :)

This is probably in the wrong section and everything, but I didnt want to start a whole new thread just for this, I have searched but didnt find anything.

I wonder how you can make people kneel or lie down in the editor?

you put the command line

this setUnitPos "";

into respective unit's Init field

"UP" will make it stand, "MIDDLE" - kneel, "DOWN" - go prone

Hi everyone im Sylvester im new to the Arma2 scene and have a couple of questions , Im not computer minded by the way

I have just bought Arma2 OA , installed patch 1.60 and im hooked but now I want Arma2 which im downloading from sprocket ,(both downloaded from sproket)

and I understand you have to uninstall OA , then install Arma , run it , install Arma OA , run it , then patch, how do I do this as I dont have copies , can I redownload Arma OA

Any other latest important issues , mods us noobies need to know about would be appreciated

Thanks Sylvester

Edited by sylvester666

Hi ~ I have recently acquired ARMA II OA (steam) and since, I have also bought ARMA II (steam) again. I was going to ask which Patches a clean/fresh install would need but having read the comment prior to this one - maybe I should ask whether I will need to uninstall and reinstall the two games in the order they need to be installed?

Edited by Foxsch

I want Arma2 which im downloading from sprocket ,(both downloaded from sproket)

and I understand you have to uninstall OA

no, you don't need to uninstall OA, it doesn't matter in what order you install them. just install ArmA 2 into the same directory. although I'm not sure how patching works, you'll probably have to apply the 1.00 to 1.09 patch and then the 1.11 one (need confirmation on that)

If you look back a few pages in this thread people say to uninstall OA then install Arma2 etc

and the readme says this

Merged Version ARMA 2 + ARMA 2: OPERATION ARROWHEAD

---------------------------------------------------

It is possible to merge ARMA 2 content with ARMA 2: OPERATION ARROWHEAD. In order to do this:

* make sure to install ARMA 2 first

* ARMA 2: OPERATION ARROWHEAD should find your ARMA 2 folder automatically during setup (if you want to install ARMA 2: OPERATION ARROWHEAD as stan alone product, select different folder)

* ARMA 2 version 1.06 or higher is required, ARMA 2: OPERATION ARROWHEAD will update it during setup automatically if necessary

Installation problems:

-------------------------------

- Please, make sure that you have the original DVD.

- Uninstall ARMA 2: OPERATION ARROWHEAD completely from the Startmenu.

- Manually erase all datas found in the installation folder of ARMA 2: OPERATION ARROWHEAD

- If you want to install ARMA 2: OPERATION ARROWHEAD together with ARMA 2, it is recommended to install ARMA 2 prior you start installation of ARMA 2: OPERATION ARROWHEAD

- Install ARMA 2: OPERATION ARROWHEAD from scratch again.

so my question is since I dont have any original copies because I downloaded it from sprocket how do I uninstall it , then reinstall it , has anyone had this problem

or is there another way around it

Thanks

Sylvester

that's funny, because my friend installed them in a different order (OA first), and everything seems to work fine

If you look back a few pages in this thread people say to uninstall OA then install Arma2 etc

and the readme says this

Merged Version ARMA 2 + ARMA 2: OPERATION ARROWHEAD

---------------------------------------------------

It is possible to merge ARMA 2 content with ARMA 2: OPERATION ARROWHEAD. In order to do this:

* make sure to install ARMA 2 first

* ARMA 2: OPERATION ARROWHEAD should find your ARMA 2 folder automatically during setup (if you want to install ARMA 2: OPERATION ARROWHEAD as stan alone product, select different folder)

* ARMA 2 version 1.06 or higher is required, ARMA 2: OPERATION ARROWHEAD will update it during setup automatically if necessary

Installation problems:

-------------------------------

- Please, make sure that you have the original DVD.

- Uninstall ARMA 2: OPERATION ARROWHEAD completely from the Startmenu.

- Manually erase all datas found in the installation folder of ARMA 2: OPERATION ARROWHEAD

- If you want to install ARMA 2: OPERATION ARROWHEAD together with ARMA 2, it is recommended to install ARMA 2 prior you start installation of ARMA 2: OPERATION ARROWHEAD

- Install ARMA 2: OPERATION ARROWHEAD from scratch again.

so my question is since I dont have any original copies because I downloaded it from sprocket how do I uninstall it , then reinstall it , has anyone had this problem

or is there another way around it

Thanks

Sylvester

(just bringing this to the top of the page)

I don't understand, I also dl my games from Sprocket and have all the original installation files on my computer for Arma 2, OA and all the DLC's so I can uninstall and install at will. You can Dl the games you bought again at no extra cost just go to Sprocket and re download. Keep these stored safely someplace on your computer for such time that you will need them.

New to Arma 2.

I've managed to google or find everything else in a manual but when I play with ACE mod I don't get the top down radar in the BAF Merlin (the 360 degree radar in the top left of the screen with the threat indicator etc). Is it possible to have this with the ACE mod enabled or is my install borked? I'm using the six updater.

I get hammered in B06 without it :(