wraith_v

ATTN NOOBIES! - New to ArmA II or OA - Here's the place for your questions

Is that right?

That I could theoretically (sp?) use a 100rnd drum magazine on a DMR?

You could stay in position forever with 100 rounds! Just thought that it was interesting, even if a little realism-breaking (yes you could do it in rl, but would you? doubt it)

Thanks guys.

Yes you can do that, however the crates do not contain the C-Mags (aka MG36 Mags) by default. So if they are not added manually by the mission designer you won't be able to use them.

I have seen people placing markers on the map while playing, to mark where they left their vehical, etc. How do you do that? Is that not available in vanilla Arma2?

Couldn't find anything on that in search (...all the posts were referring to scripting markers, not markers that players draw on maps while playing).

Edited by ladlon

Easy one: I have seen people placing markers on the map while playing. How do you do that?

Open the map and double click on it. A basic marker will be created and a small text box will allow you to type a label for it. Press the up and down arrow keys to change the marker symbol, hold shift and press up and down to change color. After pressing enter the marker will become visible to everyone.

Hover over a marker with the mouse cursor and press DEL to remove it.

NOTE: Markers are visible to others based on your current chat channel, so if you select global, everyone - including the enemy - can see them. If you select side chat, everyone on your side can see them, etc.

EDIT: This functionality is available in vanilla Arma2. No mods required.

Wacky....

I could have sworn I tried double clicking on the map before, along with right and middle clicking!

Yup, that works great! Thanks MadDogX....

What happened to the 'right click' target option for squadmates?

In OFP/ARMA1 you could set your guys up to target specific enemies, for instance, tell a sniper to hold fire, then target an enemy officer. Now I can't see this as an option, only attack, which tends to cause the unit to charge in (Engage).

Previously you could do the following as per this example;

Select your unit with F2

Right click the target (2, Target that officer)

2 then reports "Ready to fire"

F2, 3,3 would then tell number 2 to fire. 2 Would then only fire at the selected unit, and wouldn't go charging off 'death or glory' style.

I can't seem to do that in Arma2. Even selecting via the target menu 2 doesn't work.

Is this a bug or am I doing it wrong?

Hi everyone I'm new to the game in fact new would not be the right word as I'm expecting my copy only to arrive today.

I've got a couple of questions regarding the game.

First what's the genuine military men(or women) think about the weapons and ordnance simulated in the game regarding its ballistic trajectory, blast strength and radius and penetration?

Second I'm looking forward to the multi player aspect of the game. Any tips on this? Is the MP is well active and kicking?

Third.

Will the use of any mod break the compatibility issue when playing online?

If not what's the recommended mod?

Thanks I know it's a lot of question I hope I will like the game and enjoy the multi player aspect of it.

Best regards,

MW

Edited by Michael Withstand

My copy arrived about an hour earlier and now I'm updating to 1.05 and after that the EW hotfix.

I guess I'm such a late comer if I like the game very much I may consider getting Arrowhead too.:)

You'll find many servers use ACE mod, makes gameplay more realistic. Look at their thread for info on how to get it. :)

If you want to play on public servers I commonly use these as server NAME filters: "ACE" and "Domination". ACE is so server uses ACE, and is up to date, and Domination is a mission people play, alot. Its fun if played in good company, not bad company :p

Its fun if played in good company, not bad company :p
bad company
bad company
bad company

oh you

Speaking of which I finally unlocked the damn GOP rifle in that game, yay.

Anywho on topic. Like most will suggest, I recommend you look into ACE2. It's widely supported on many servers though a few may not keep up with the regular weekly beta releases and stick with milestone releases every month or two. If you do choose to play on a server running Domination, or Evolution or any of the popular type missions, it's usually recommended, as already suggested, to join a clan/unit hosted server. They are regularly attended and modderated which is a good thing, and most will invite you into their teamspeak channel (and with any luck they have people split up into separate channels as to not have a 20+ man clusterfuck of a voice coms).

Any additional mods you may be running will come at a price. Many, but not all servers run keys. These keys determine if a particular mod is allowed to be ran in their server. This means some mods you run on a server, may not be allowed in others, and some don't check at all.

If you get a launcher for ArmA2 (see Armaholic.com for most addons if not all) they usually come with a built in server browser which will list the addon folders the server is running. I recommend Alpinestars launcher personally.

Beyond that all I can recommend is to give your self a lot of room for patience, as ArmA2 can be as enjoyable as it is frustrating sometimes. If you have any technical issues, consult the Troubleshooting forums.

I tried an online session but now everytime trying to join one I get the message that I cannot play/edit the mission because it is a downloadable content that has been deleted (something like that). Does anyone know what's going on?

I tried an online session but now everytime trying to join one I get the message that I cannot play/edit the mission because it is a downloadable content that has been deleted (something like that). Does anyone know what's going on?

Yes you are missing the addons/mod that are used on that server/mission .

You can find a lot of addons on www.armaholic.com or www.armedassault.info

Yes you are missing the addons/mod that are used on that server/mission .

You can find a lot of addons on www.armaholic.com or www.armedassault.info

Thanks.

Just tried another online session. Killed three AIs as a Huey cobra gunner.

When aiming the stinger to get the MiG-29 I accidentally pressed the left mouse button and a friendly Huey fell victim to the stinger :)

Umm the MP is waaay to quiet nobody said anything. I've got much more active comm in OFP DR.

Umm the MP is waaay to quiet nobody said anything. I've got much more active comm in OFP DR.

If you were playing the Evolution Or Domination range of maps you wont hear much from the other players, I know :p . Try finding yourself a tactical clan , that's were you can get the most out of MP and hear much more chatter :).

If you were playing the Evolution Or Domination range of maps you wont hear much from the other players, I know :p . Try finding yourself a tactical clan , that's were you can get the most out of MP and hear much more chatter :).

I see thanks I'll look for that tactical clan somewhere near so the ping will not be an issue.

M3gfS.jpg

I am playing Dogs of War. As seen in the picture, I wanted to know what is the use of "Crewman : Yes" Option? because it doesn't make any change if choose Yes or No in this option.:j:

I am playing Dogs of War. As seen in the picture, I wanted to know what is the use of "Crewman : Yes" Option? because it doesn't make any change if choose Yes or No in this option.:j:

I think if you choose yes and wait a while an allied soldier will appear (not a member of your group) and man the weapon himself. I don't know the exact mechanics how it works though.

Edited by Myshaak
removed image from reply

Im about to buy Arma 2 but im not sure if my pc can handle it :confused:

My rig:

Amd athlon 64 x2 5000+

Ati radeon 4870 512mt

2gt ram

windows vista

So what do you think?

It should run it decently, yes. :)

However, next time you post a question like this, I'd recommend posting it here instead.

Can someone provide me a guide to snipe in vanilla how to use these dotted ranging and how much to pull for some ranges for all the sniping rifle both Russian and American.

It's not in the manual.

I've got the manual for ace though but either the reticle is different ot the ballistic table is or both.

Edited by Michael Withstand

Will my system hande ARMA 2 well enough?

Dell XPS 720 System

2 Quad CPU

Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz

3.00 GB or RAM

GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB

Also does playing ARMA 2 (if purchased via CD/DVD) does it requre the game to be in the CD player after a full install?

Is purchasing via stream / Direct DL better?

Thanks for any advice...

Will my system hande ARMA 2 well enough?

Dell XPS 720 System

2 Quad CPU

Q6600 @ 2.40 GHz

3.00 GB or RAM

GeForce 8800 GT 512 MB

Also does playing ARMA 2 (if purchased via CD/DVD) does it requre the game to be in the CD player after a full install?

Is purchasing via stream / Direct DL better?

Thanks for any advice...

Your graphics card and your CPU are alittle bottlenecked, but you shouldnt have problems running Arma 2 on medium settings with a decent resolution.

If you download and install patch 1.05 you DO NOT have to have the DVD in your computer to play.

I am brand new to ARMA/ARMA 2 (in fact my shipment is 2 days out from being delivered). I have lots of questions but am doing my best to simply read through the volumes of information / posts on this forum as well as others.

I do have a question regarding "skill levles" in ARMA2 - For both friendly as well as enemy soldiers / units.

1. Are skill levels rated via a numerical formula (say like OGR 1-8). Or are the rated via a description level (say recruit/green - veteran / elite).

2. Are these values adjustable? Can you edit them?

Hi. Apologies in advance for probably a stupid question the answer for which I did do a search. I just reinstalled Arma 2, patched it up and I notice that in the Editor I have no 'F7' option. I know it should be there because it definately was the last time I installed.:confused:

Are these values adjustable? Can you edit them?

When you place a unit in the editor , there will be a slider that set's the units skill .