Sign in to follow this  
anguis

Linux, Ubuntu: Running OFP Under WINE

Hi, folks,

I did a search and found little that pertained to running OFP under WINE, particularly with recent releases (plenty on running OFP Windows Server).

I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 and WINE 1.0.1. on an old laptop, Compaq c500.

Have any of you managed to get OFP running well with WINE? If so, please, describe what you did. I've managed to get it running, even w/ FDF, but not consistently well (choppiness, audio issues, blank screen sometimes, etc. . .). I'm not running settings that should tax the system.

I'm continuing t work through this on my own and will post what I find, but I'd appreciate the help of someone who can speed things up. I'd like to have a "mobile OFP" option for downtime away from home (I've recently been spending a bunch of time at a hospital and will continue to do so for a little while longer).

Thanks!:)

OFP ran very fine under Wine for me (don't have it installed under my Linux right now), actually it ran better than under XP. I had for example less problems with sound, which can be pretty horrible under Windows. I am an openSUSE-user and if I remember correctly, the Wine-version was at least 1.1.17.

So I suggest you update Wine, since 1.0.1 sounds like stone age.

Edited by vektorboson

I did test it and it didn't run fast enough on my rig though Arma2 runs flawlessly.

Also - I didn't know how to upgrade it - which is inevitable - and I had no sound.

But I would so much BIS would release next games on Linux basis ... ;-)

If interested, look here.

Thanks, guys!

I updated Wine - the version I had was the one from the official repositories and it dates back to 2008, iirc (it's the latest stable release). This new version, beta 1.1.40, has solved a few of the issues, particularly audio. The weird thing now is, I can't run mods unless I use ofpwatch (I actually think that'll simplify things)! I've managed to get on a MP server. Lag is still an issue - I'm fearing that will remain the case. . .

@vektorboson: Do you recall anything special you might have done to get things running very well?

Edited by Anguis

Thanks, guys!

I updated Wine - the version I had was the one from the official repositories and it dates back to 2008, iirc (it's the latest stable release). This new version, beta 1.1.40, has solved a few of the issues, particularly audio. The weird thing now is, I can't run mods unless I use ofpwatch (I actually think that'll simplify things)! I've managed to get on a MP server. Lag is still an issue - I'm fearing that will remain the case. . .

@vektorboson: Do you recall anything special you might have done to get things running very well?

I just looked, it's still in my winecfg; there's nothing special. I just set Windows XP, ALSA-sound and I disabled Pixel Shaders (the night desaturation effect is overdone IMHO).

I didn't test MP, but mods worked without any problem. Perhaps you should check your command line parameters!

Alright, I've got OFP running well enough to play under Wine. Here's what I did:

1. I set things in winecfg as vektorboson described.

2. I turned off all Visual Effects - Compiz Fusion was a big drain.

3. In Flashpoint Preferences, I turned off HW T&L and set the resolution bit depth to 16. Colors are somewhat off (blue blood and fire), but that's acceptable on this underpowered laptop.

Mouseclicks now register consistently well, lag has been reduced to an acceptably playable level. -nomap and -nosplash are working through ofpwatch. MP works.

I'll update more if I learn anything new that's helpful.

Hello Everyone. Well Ive been playing ofp and now resistence since 02 on AND OFF until now. I just decided since my internal drive crashed, Id try ubuntu on a external drive. Now my problem for months has been installing windows games using wine, playonlinux, and crossover trial version. I always get stuck on the second disk. I tried even transferring my installed game from another pc running windows xp, and took all OFP files, placed them in OFP directory on ubuntu, with my dell laptop running win7. Now I get that message saying, (Bad serial number given in Setup). Im not sure how to do the registry change thing when you transfer ofp to another pc. Heres a link, that might be usefull to someone, on wine installing ofp. I however am still waiting for a way to install directly with my CD roms using wine. Any imput would be helpfull or maybe its time to get new pc, hehe..Thanks

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=2518&iTestingId=4778[/url]

Player Case

Edited by Case
more info

Hello Everyone. Well Ive been playing ofp and now resistence since 02 on AND OFF until now. I just decided since my internal drive crashed, Id try ubuntu on a external drive. Now my problem for months has been installing windows games using wine, playonlinux, and crossover trial version. I always get stuck on the second disk. I tried even transferring my installed game from another pc running windows xp, and took all OFP files, placed them in OFP directory on ubuntu, with my dell laptop running win7. Now I get that message saying, (Bad serial number given in Setup). Im not sure how to do the registry change thing when you transfer ofp to another pc. Heres a link, that might be usefull to someone, on wine installing ofp. I however am still waiting for a way to install directly with my CD roms using wine. Any imput would be helpfull or maybe its time to get new pc, hehe..Thanks

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=2518&iTestingId=4778[/url]

Player Case

You need to export from windows registry this key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Codemasters\Operation Flashpoint]

"KEY"=hex:[ur_key_here]

and add it to WINE registry.

For me working very good.

You need to export from windows registry this key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Codemasters\Operation Flashpoint]

"KEY"=hex:[ur_key_here]

and add it to WINE registry.

For me working very good.

Hey, Thank you Tom. I finally was able to install by using the 3 disk install. I found some site and it had a command for terminal to eject CD rom during install, i also was using wine config to assign drive to cd rom and it managed to install all 3 disk for GOTY.... Now it runs awesome, graphics and sound , but then I think Ill have to use only one Core because of multiplayer lag. Hope this helps someone who doesnt think wine will work. Wine will work for install!

Release =Ubuntu 14.04 (trusty)

Pentium® Dual-Core CPU T4400 @ 2.20GHz

DDR2memory= 2.9 GiB- really is 3 gbs physical

graphics=Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset x86/MMX/SSE2

Seagate HD 292.1 GB external

19" Samsung SyncMaster 930b flatscreen monitor

All I freaking need for OFP , lololol

Edited by Case
correction

I'm on a Mac and using a Wineskin for CWA and so far it runs very well, much better than PlayOnMac.

I've encountered a small problem in that only 1 modfolder is ever loaded. In the EXE Flags field I have the following:

-mod=@ww4mod25;WW4_EXT -nosplash -nomap

I get this in the log:

sh: WW4_EXT: command not found

Does anybody know what's wrong? I'm going in blind here.

EDIT

Scratch the above. You need to use -mod= for every mod for it to work.

Edited by Snafu