Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Developer post in this thread.  

Thread: Arma 2 on windows 7

The Official ArmA2 Pied Piper richiespeed13's Avatar

Arma 2 on windows 7

Hey Fellas,

I recently decided to try out the new windows 7 in 64 bit. I had previously tried the beta version which was actually pretty good, but it seems since then they have added a ton of useless crap!

After installing Arma 2, at first I didn't notice much difference in performance. The fps was a little lower for sure, but I thought that would be in exchange for smoother gameplay.

How wrong I was! After carefully evaluating the performance and running several scenarios, it is apparent that on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit, your system will be needlessly wasted.

The game was constantly stuttering, always having to load when I looked around etc. I recrated a large AI battle scene again, and rather than getting a nice 18-22fps as before, I was left with a shoddy 2-8fps.

I examined the processes on my pc, and after comparing with my newly reinstalled XP, I am amazed at all the crap going on in Windows 7! In XP my average commit charge never generally goes above 100m, and my cpu usage is 0%. In XP after a fresh install, I just about have 20 processes running. On windows 7...

The commit charge is always above 800m! To add to that, the CPU usage lingers at 3%. The process count is over double, with over 50 active processes! This may not seem bad, but my god the performance decrease is horrible.

Just thought I would share that little info, maybe it can help out some people who are still unsure of how fast windows 7 is with Arma 2. I will be sticking to XP for a long time!
    Last edited by richiespeed13; Jan 30 2010 at 06:41.
    My Youtube
    Feel free to add me on Steam!

2.   Click here to go to the next Developer post in this thread.   #2
    I keep getting told by people how awesome Windows 7 is, and how great it is compared to XP. Granted, it is an obvious improvement over Vista, but that's not exactly hard. I figured they think it's awesome because of all the gimmick features and the new themes that Microsoft has thrown in, and that it will be as much of an unnecessary performance hog as Vista was. I decided not to buy it and, apparently, that was the right thing to do. XP FTW.

Author of the Thread
    Word mate, word! I must admit, as a non gaming platform I really do like Windows 7. But from a performance side, I think it needs much more time.

I would like to experience DX11 aswell, but I can wait. Trusty old DX9 never let me down!

This hasn't been my experience with Win 7 64 and A2. In terms of performance it is only *slightly* worse than my old XP setup.

You are right about one thing though - there's a lot of useless crap running - which is why I have this site permanently bookmarked in my head. I went with the "tweaked" version.

Author of the Thread
    Yeah thanks Grizzle, I went through that site before, unfortunately i don't have the patience to go through all that lol!

I think the main issue for me was how clean my XP was, I was always making sure everything was as perfect as I could make it. When I got windows 7, there was instantly more going on on a fresh install, then what I had going on with a 1 year old install of XP.

There is a test of gaming performance of win 7 vs. vista. vs xp here (check other pages of the test too):
    http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/...ming/page3.asp

It seems that Arma 2 is the only game which runs worse on win 7 than on XP. Between those two OS, in other games performance is usually equal.

Why go for the Ultimate version... that has tonnes of useless crap that you don't need or ever use...

Since you didnt post your computer specs, this is nothing more then a flame thread about how outdated your computer is and how unable to run the most resource hungry game ever made on an operation system made in 2009

I've been using Windows 7 since the beta was first released and have been very happy with it. I used XP 64-bit before. I skipped Vista. I never tried Arma 2 with XP though, so no comment on that.

I would imagine a stripped down version (non-ultimate and/or using Viper tweaks) might be a little better... but it works for me as is.

Since you didnt post your computer specs, this is nothing more then a flame thread about how outdated your computer is and how unable to run the most resource hungry game ever made on an operation system made in 2009
    Thanks for sharing this with us Zero...
    Windows 7 64-bit | AMD FX 8350 4.0 GHZ | GTX 570 (310.70) | 32 GB RAM
    OCZ Agility 3 120 GB SSD | OCZ Agility 2 120 GB SSD | OCZ Vertex Plus 60 GB SSD | Intel 80 GB SSD
    Logitech G500 G15 G930 | TrackIR 5 | Saitek X52 Pro + Pro Flight Rudder

10.   Click here to go to the next Developer post in this thread.   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeron View Post
    Thanks for flamebaiting.

Richie has a pretty damn good PC. Take a look at some of his ArmA II videos. He's running on pretty high settings and getting a ridiculously good framerate. That's good evidence that he does not have a crappy PC.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast