Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: ARMA 2 CTD but still running in Task Manager

Gunnery Sergeant Imperator_Pete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leopoldo View Post

I guess i just need to wait for the email to confirm registration?
    It took a day or two to get to me, but it did eventually come along.

i'm not sure the cause of it, but I've had CTD with Arma2.exe process running in the background in 2 circumstances.

1 ) I upgraded my video card, driver removal and all, and installed the drivers that came with my video card. Kept crashing, so I downloaded the latest drivers, installed those without driver removal, and it all worked fine until...

2) Upgraded my Motherboard (I know, should really re-install O/S when upgrading an MB, but I'm lazy), Win7 autoinstalled the drivers. Ran fine after the upgrade, then I installed iZ3d drivers (under Win7 64bit) and it started the CTD's. So I uninstalled the drivers and it still wouldn't work. So I installed the iZ3d drivers under my other Win7 install (32 bit) and it worked fine. So I went back into the 64bit Win7, installed the latest MB drivers from the website and Arma 2 started running fine again without a CTD, and my framerate went up by 10fps average (my old MB was PCI 1.1, new one is PCI 2.0 which should be a 5% difference for my card by gave about 10-15% difference)
    "Once that first bullet goes past your head, Politics and all that {stuff} goes right out the window. Once the 100th bullet go's no where near you, well.... maybe it's time to get some better AI"

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldogs View Post
    i'm not sure the cause of it, but I've had CTD with Arma2.exe process running in the background in 2 circumstances.

1 ) I upgraded my video card, driver removal and all, and installed the drivers that came with my video card. Kept crashing, so I downloaded the latest drivers, installed those without driver removal, and it all worked fine until...

2) Upgraded my Motherboard (I know, should really re-install O/S when upgrading an MB, but I'm lazy), Win7 autoinstalled the drivers. Ran fine after the upgrade, then I installed iZ3d drivers (under Win7 64bit) and it started the CTD's. So I uninstalled the drivers and it still wouldn't work. So I installed the iZ3d drivers under my other Win7 install (32 bit) and it worked fine. So I went back into the 64bit Win7, installed the latest MB drivers from the website and Arma 2 started running fine again without a CTD, and my framerate went up by 10fps average (my old MB was PCI 1.1, new one is PCI 2.0 which should be a 5% difference for my card by gave about 10-15% difference)
    I have the latest intel chipset drivers. All my other drievrs are up to date also.

This game really is starting to bug the hell out of me, i had gotten to the stage where that i was getting a smooth experience and good FPS, i was just getting these random CTD, it seems the more i tried different things to fix this issue the worse things got.

I had read about a fast hard drive making all the difference so i put ARMA 2 on my Intel SSD, to begin with all was fine but then it started having a real hard time updating the graphics and then it just froze, i guess because things started to go hey-wire (loads of weird texture effects, different parts loading and then unloading), it then crashed but this time i have a load of different colored pixels all over my desktop.

This happened twice, i thought oh no one of my cards has crapped out but i tried other games and they work fine.

I am glad it seems some people seem to be able to play this game without issue but it looks determined to try and kill my PC.
    specs:

Tri Boot OS: XP HE 32, Vista HP 64 and Win 7 Pro 64

Intel i7 965 EE 3.20GHz @ 3.94GHz
    EVGA X58 Classified Motherboard (E759)
    3x2GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 2000 CL8 @ DDR3 1904 7-7-7-20
    2x EVGA GTX 295 (Quad SLI)
    Intel X-25M 80GB SSD Gen 2 (Win 7 64)
    2x VelociRaptor 300GB (RAID 0) (Game data)
    2x 1TB WD Caviar Black HD (RAID 1) (Win XP and Vista)
    1x 150GB Raptor (MISC Drive, Page File, ARMA 2 save folder)
    Thermaltake Toughpower 1500W PSU

If i am having issues first thing i do is put everything back to stock, please keep that in mind if/when helping me troubleshoot an issue.

Ok this type of "crash" is now happening for me when i use the UAV, sometimes when actually viewing the UAV camera it will kick me from the game to desktop or when i try to exit the UAV it will do it.

very very very very frustrating, i am almost at the end of my tether with this game, i am close to putting it in a dark corner and forgetting about it.

The symptoms you're describing sound like a faulty power supply (not a lack of power, can happen with that, but more likely a fault in a resistor of your power supply). Although if that was the case then running a power hungry application (something that utilizes the CPU and both graphics cards, like a good benchmarking program) would give the same results.

The fact that it's happening with the UAV leads me to believe that some files are possibly corrupt during the install/patch. If you haven't tried already (which you probably have), re-install back to base install (1.0 or 1.1 depending on release), or if you're running steam then do a fresh delete of local files and redownload, then test to see if it works fine.

Of course I would also suggest other than running a bench like 3d mark, also try a CPU and GPU stress test to check the individual components.

Also, as a last thought, have you tried running Arma 2 off a non-RAID non-SSD drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldogs View Post
    The symptoms you're describing sound like a faulty power supply (not a lack of power, can happen with that, but more likely a fault in a resistor of your power supply). Although if that was the case then running a power hungry application (something that utilizes the CPU and both graphics cards, like a good benchmarking program) would give the same results.

The fact that it's happening with the UAV leads me to believe that some files are possibly corrupt during the install/patch. If you haven't tried already (which you probably have), re-install back to base install (1.0 or 1.1 depending on release), or if you're running steam then do a fresh delete of local files and redownload, then test to see if it works fine.

Of course I would also suggest other than running a bench like 3d mark, also try a CPU and GPU stress test to check the individual components.

Also, as a last thought, have you tried running Arma 2 off a non-RAID non-SSD drive?
    thanks for the reply

I have tried running the game on my raptor drive, doesn't make any difference.

i have tested other games to see if its possibly my system but i had no issues until i started trying to play ARMA 2 and i till have no issues with any other games or benchmarks.

to me this seems like an issue with Nvidia drivers and Quad SLI and possibly the game itself. For example i get a negative value for 3D performance in the ARMA.cfg
    Last edited by Leopoldo; Feb 3 2010 at 15:54.

thanks for the reply

i have tested other games to see if its possibly my system but i had no issues until i started trying to play ARMA 2 and i till have no issues with any other games or benchmarks.

to me this seems like an issue with Nvidia drivers and Quad SLI and possibly the game itself. For example i get a negative value for 3D performance in the ARMA.cfg
    I don't think you have problems with your system, it happens to me too, randomly, and I have ATI video card, it is a game issue, possible issue from 1.5 patch.

Banned
    thanks for the reply

Try these maybe (google them)...

'Pirme95' (stresses test)
    'Memtest86' (Tests memory, you'll need to burn the image to CD and boot off it)

And use these to monitor CPU, GPU, Temps etc while running stressing ya PC and running A2...

'CPU-Z'
    'GPU-Z'
    'Core Temp'

There are many more, I'm sure many here will suggest apps for you to figure out where the problem is

Have you run with one card or even something with one GPU? as the GTX295 is essentially 2x 260s... A2 and SLi don't mix well with some pc's

hope ya find a fix

Gunnery Sergeant Imperator_Pete's Avatar
    I've got a feeling this is actually to do with the game being unable to 'flush' existing used memory. This would explain why if I periodically use the flush command in game my play time is extended by leaps and bounds.

I've already tested my whole memory with Memtest (0 errors).
    I use the performance monitor included in win7 and I always see a pike in the memory usage just before it crashes (saving or loading a campaign mission).
    So yes it's due to a memory problem in my case.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast