Sign in to follow this  
Leopoldo

ARMA 2 CTD but still running in Task Manager

EDIT i was reading another thread about this issue and this tip was given to fix this when it happens, i have no idea yet if it works but i thought i would let you guys know, when i get around to trying it i will update, removing this tip if it doenst work or saying for sure that it does work

TIP:

And for the rare time it does happen, holding shift then typing:

Keypad minus FLUSH

hello

I have managed to get ARMA 2 running pretty well with playable FPS at high detial/rez which i am happy about but i have 1 issue thats frustrating as it can cause me to lose lot of progress.

Sometimes when playing ARMA 2 it will just cut out and go to the desktop, it could be called a crash to desktop but i dont get any error messages, nothing about driver issues and when i look under task manager ARMA 2 is still listed as running and when i look at my resources it still is actually using the CPU and Memory.

The only thing i can do when this happens is manually End Task for ARMA 2, there is no way to get the game back on the monitor as it no longer appears on task bar or in the ALT+TAB list.

This has happened a few times whilst getting out of vehicles but its started happening when i am saving a game. It will start to save, the screen goes a little darker and then the game just cuts out. Sometimes the save is successful but usually its not.

I have tried reinstalling ARMA 2 but it still happens. It doesnt matter if my system is overclocked or running ats stock frequencies.

I am running the game patched to 1.05 (as a matter of interest whats better to install all the patches in order or just install the latest 1.05 patch?)

I tried to do a search an cant seem to find any threads relating to this, i am hoping i am not alone but i may be.

Is anyone else suffering from this bug/glitch, is there a way to fix it?

my specs are

Intel i7 965 EE 3.20GHz

EVGA X58 Classified Motherboard

3x2GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 2000 8-8-8-24

2x EVGA GTX 295 (Quad SLI, PhysX disabled)

Intel 80GB SSD Gen 2 (OS Windows 7 Porfessional 64bit)

2x 300GB WD VelociRaptor (RAID 0) (Game data)

2x 1TB WD Caviare drivers (RAID 1)

1x 150GB Raptor (Misc, Page File)

As an added piece of information as i am using an SSD for my OS drive i have put things lime "My Documents" folder onto my 150GB Raptor, its set up correctly and applications etc are able to find and use these folders. I am wondering though since this bug happens when i am trying to save it may be causing an issue with ARMA 2. ARMA 2 is able to save there, a folder for ARMA 2 was created correctly by the game and i have some saves in there but it may be that on rare occasions this is causing a bug to happen?

It also occurred to me that this might only happen when the screen goes darker for things like saving and when it is "receiving" (loading).

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

i just found a couple of errors in Windows Event Viewer for ARMA 2, these are not actually reports for the CTD i have been talkinga bout but they may give an insight into a problem that may be contributing to it

here is what the Event Viewer reports:

Faulting application name: arma2.exe, version: 1.5.0.62017, time stamp: 0x4b2f54d8

Faulting module name: arma2.exe, version: 1.5.0.62017, time stamp: 0x4b2f54d8

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0062163a

Faulting process id: 0x1458

Faulting application start time: 0x01caa098c983daff

Faulting application path: E:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Bohemia Interactive\arma2.exe

Faulting module path: E:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Bohemia Interactive\arma2.exe

Report Id: c740dee8-0c94-11df-857c-001fbc015199

and another report

Faulting application name: arma2.exe, version: 1.5.0.62017, time stamp: 0x4b2f54d8

Faulting module name: kernel32.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bdbde

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0001135d

Faulting process id: 0xc4

Faulting application start time: 0x01caa0f36d25c160

Faulting application path: E:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\Bohemia Interactive\arma2.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\syswow64\kernel32.dll

Report Id: da771932-0ce6-11df-8bf2-001fbc015199

Edited by Leopoldo

Greetings Leo,

Yup, I am having the same issue. ARMA v1.05, Windows 7 64bit, latest nVidia drivers. It happens happens, maybe an hour or two into game play.

thanks for the reply

Although it sucks that you are having this issue also its good as atleast i am not alone and it may be an issue with the latest game patch and the latest Nvidia drivers.

I use the same install of ARMA2 under XP 32bit and this does not happen so it may be a specific issue with 64bit OS's or Windows 7 64bit (or possibly any version of Windows 7).

Atleast f there are a few having this problem its likely to be looked at and hopefully fixed.

Happens here too! I thought I was the only one!

Similar setup, i7 d0, dual 4890s, 6gb ram

This mostly happened in map editing for me... I would go to preview the map and BAM I'm on my desktop with the game running in the background and no way of accessing it but closing the process and reopening. This is a pretty serious issue... I have even managed polygamy which could be the cause of the issue?

Edited by rexehuk

I've had this happen a few times on Win7 32 bit. Happened to me last night. I noticed that it tends to occur when I enter a vehicle, though I can play for the first hour or so and not have it happen.

+1

It's the same for me :

win7 64 pro

I5 750 + 4Gb RAM

ATI 5850

It crashes during 80% of my saving/loading sequences. I'm bored of playing manhattan mission for two weeks...

I've tried the xp sp3 compatibility option but it doesn't change anything.

this happens to me in mutilplayer games only, where it is most annoying.

Does anyone know if this bug has been reported?

I was going to do it but i dont have a clue how to send in a report, all i can see is the information on how you should go about it and a few links but nothing to actually submit the bug.

Anyone suffering from it reported this bug using the tracker?

Anyone suffering from it reported this bug using the tracker?

No, not me.

I haven't, I never felt like registering to complain so I just deal with it. lol

I'm having this bug too.

i7-720QM gtx260M 4Gb ram op sys Win7 64bit

It happens to me randomly playing th campaign...also checking the RPT there's a huge load of errors in it!!!

no mod, no other addons, settings mediums and average FPS 25-40.

Does somebody know how to solve it, or at least how to report it to bugtrackers?

cheers

massi

I haven't, I never felt like registering to complain so I just deal with it. lol

The A2CIT is there for us players to report our problems in a clean environment easy for BI to read. The easiest way to make BI miss problems is to post it in here where the threads "drown" pretty fast. BI Forums is great to get some feedback of a problem and if you see that more people have an issue please head over and report it with the relevant information, and with reproduction steps so its easy for BI to to reproduce the problem (info on how to do this - click my signature).

There are probably more things ticketed there as well that you and others agree to and can therefore vote for them wich helps BI understand a certain issue isnt just a single event problem. :)

*Please check before ticketing to prevent duplicates. Link in my signature.

Edited by Alex72

Hi all,

thanks Alex72,

I've opened a ticket in bug tracking list: http://dev-heaven.net/issues/8746

PLEASE go there and VOTE for it , as soon as more user have the problem higer will be the priority.

This is really annoyng bug and I hope someone will find a solution...right now the game is nearly un playable.

cheers

massi

I had a very similar error (won't say its the same but...) anyway to cut a long story short try re-seating your RAM.

sorry I'm a bit noob... ;)

could you explain me how can I do it ?

thanks

sorry I'm a bit noob... ;)

could you explain me how can I do it ?

thanks

he means physically removing your Memory modules from their slots on the motherboard and then replacing them (reseating them) back into the slots making sure they are inserted and held in place correctly. Make sure before you do this that your PC is powered off and you cut power to your PSU by putting its switch to the off position then removing the plug from the socket.

If you have a can of air you may want to give the slots a little blow with air.

I am not sure if this will fix the problem but i will give it a try.

I have already reseated my memory lately seeing if inserting extra memory would help but it didnt but i will give it one more try (when i added extra memory it included removing the modules already inserted and then putting then back in with the additional modules).

Thanks massi from opening that ticket i will vote on it as soon as i figure out how to.

thanks for the infos...but I think I could not...my notebook is brand new and under warranty ;)

I think you have to log in to vote...if you not registered I advice you to do so...it really takes few sec. and no spam or bullshit arrives in your mail...and it is very usefull as you can vote for the feature you prefer to be fixed first ;)

cheers

massi

thanks for the infos...but I think I could not...my notebook is brand new and under warranty ;)

I think you have to log in to vote...if you not registered I advice you to do so...it really takes few sec. and no spam or bullshit arrives in your mail...and it is very usefull as you can vote for the feature you prefer to be fixed first ;)

cheers

massi

I registered but it seems i need o wait for a confirmation email to confirm registration? I have not had an email yet but i still cant log in with my details but the system sees to recognise my username and email address as i tried to register again with the same name and was told it was taken plus i was able to send for my password details or reset it using my email address.

I guess i just need to wait for the email to confirm registration?

I guess i just need to wait for the email to confirm registration?

It took a day or two to get to me, but it did eventually come along.:)

i'm not sure the cause of it, but I've had CTD with Arma2.exe process running in the background in 2 circumstances.

1 ) I upgraded my video card, driver removal and all, and installed the drivers that came with my video card. Kept crashing, so I downloaded the latest drivers, installed those without driver removal, and it all worked fine until...

2) Upgraded my Motherboard (I know, should really re-install O/S when upgrading an MB, but I'm lazy), Win7 autoinstalled the drivers. Ran fine after the upgrade, then I installed iZ3d drivers (under Win7 64bit) and it started the CTD's. So I uninstalled the drivers and it still wouldn't work. So I installed the iZ3d drivers under my other Win7 install (32 bit) and it worked fine. So I went back into the 64bit Win7, installed the latest MB drivers from the website and Arma 2 started running fine again without a CTD, and my framerate went up by 10fps average (my old MB was PCI 1.1, new one is PCI 2.0 which should be a 5% difference for my card by gave about 10-15% difference)

i'm not sure the cause of it, but I've had CTD with Arma2.exe process running in the background in 2 circumstances.

1 ) I upgraded my video card, driver removal and all, and installed the drivers that came with my video card. Kept crashing, so I downloaded the latest drivers, installed those without driver removal, and it all worked fine until...

2) Upgraded my Motherboard (I know, should really re-install O/S when upgrading an MB, but I'm lazy), Win7 autoinstalled the drivers. Ran fine after the upgrade, then I installed iZ3d drivers (under Win7 64bit) and it started the CTD's. So I uninstalled the drivers and it still wouldn't work. So I installed the iZ3d drivers under my other Win7 install (32 bit) and it worked fine. So I went back into the 64bit Win7, installed the latest MB drivers from the website and Arma 2 started running fine again without a CTD, and my framerate went up by 10fps average (my old MB was PCI 1.1, new one is PCI 2.0 which should be a 5% difference for my card by gave about 10-15% difference)

I have the latest intel chipset drivers. All my other drievrs are up to date also.

This game really is starting to bug the hell out of me, i had gotten to the stage where that i was getting a smooth experience and good FPS, i was just getting these random CTD, it seems the more i tried different things to fix this issue the worse things got.

I had read about a fast hard drive making all the difference so i put ARMA 2 on my Intel SSD, to begin with all was fine but then it started having a real hard time updating the graphics and then it just froze, i guess because things started to go hey-wire (loads of weird texture effects, different parts loading and then unloading), it then crashed but this time i have a load of different colored pixels all over my desktop.

This happened twice, i thought oh no one of my cards has crapped out but i tried other games and they work fine.

I am glad it seems some people seem to be able to play this game without issue but it looks determined to try and kill my PC.

Ok this type of "crash" is now happening for me when i use the UAV, sometimes when actually viewing the UAV camera it will kick me from the game to desktop or when i try to exit the UAV it will do it.

very very very very frustrating, i am almost at the end of my tether with this game, i am close to putting it in a dark corner and forgetting about it.

The symptoms you're describing sound like a faulty power supply (not a lack of power, can happen with that, but more likely a fault in a resistor of your power supply). Although if that was the case then running a power hungry application (something that utilizes the CPU and both graphics cards, like a good benchmarking program) would give the same results.

The fact that it's happening with the UAV leads me to believe that some files are possibly corrupt during the install/patch. If you haven't tried already (which you probably have), re-install back to base install (1.0 or 1.1 depending on release), or if you're running steam then do a fresh delete of local files and redownload, then test to see if it works fine.

Of course I would also suggest other than running a bench like 3d mark, also try a CPU and GPU stress test to check the individual components.

Also, as a last thought, have you tried running Arma 2 off a non-RAID non-SSD drive?