Sign in to follow this  
dannyboy

very bad fps

so for christmas i got a new pc specs :AMD Phenom 9550 Quad-Core Processor 2.2GHz 3gb ram geforce 8200 (will eventually be getting a better one ) and im using vista 32 bit with this i can run crysis at a playable rate but i can't run arma at a playable one any ideas?

Well, depends on the mission really. 2.2ghz is a little low but if the map isn't loaded with AI or you are not fighting in the bushes, FPS should be ok. ArmA2 is very heavy on AI processing as there are so many thing that are happening and so many units that actually do some thinking on their own instead of just pop to be shot at. I get about 25 to 30fps on fun missions with fair amount of AI, even the i7 guys aren't getting much higher, so don't expect 70 to 100 fps type like the FPS shooters out there. Its a simulation engine which is running in ArmA2.

on the tutorial i cant even play it its jumpy whe you move and you can't shoot because you over compensate and miss the target

Then you need to paste your full system on your signature like I did so the rest of us know how to help you. :) In the meantime, try lowering the details. If lowering details helps, then you know what the problem is. :)

What settings do you play?

Also, you can't compare crysis performance with arma 2 performance. Completely different type of calculations needed for ArmA2. And it's comparing performance from a game of 2007 vs 2009.

He plays with the onboard gf8200 mGPU.

You cant expect good fps with that.

First thing to do here is to upgrade the gfx :j:

He plays with the onboard gf8200 mGPU.

Ouch :eek: That's definately the problem. No way this game will run with onboard graphics.

but when i come out of the game i have the cpu thing for vista and its at 100% so ididnt know which it was

It's both. The only thing bad about your processor is it's speed. If you are good with computers you could try overclocking.

That said, your graphics card is one of the major issues. Without replacing that you're not likely to get anything near acceptable frame rates.

Hi DannyBoy,

You really need a Gerforce 8800 GT or equivalent to get ArmA 2 running reasonably, I reccomend (if you can afford it) a Geforce GTX 260 or higher.

watch out with that, the psu on these kind of pc's can't handle such cards.

hi guys these are my specs, what is the best option to play arma2? (video options).:

AMD Phenom 9950 Quad-core 2.60Ghz

6GB ddr memory

Vista Home premium 32 bit.

Ati EAH4870 DDR5 1gb memory

i dont get good performance, any help on this? BTW i cannot change texture detail, it changes videomemory also. cant they be changed seperatly?

I recommend changing your video memory to "default" then change your texture settings. As for the settings, try everything on medium or high, anti-aliasing disabled, 3d resolution same as your normal resolution (100% fillrate).

After that, experiment and see what you get.

hmm oke i will try that, and i read somewhere that you have a line to put in your exe file. so that it counts4 cpu? does it improve something? and what do you think about my system? slow or fast or normal?

About average for now days, but other than arma 2 and crysis, nothing should really push your system.

Add -cpucount=4 to your shortcut. It improves performance for many people.

and whats maxmem line? i changed my resolution also, it goes much more fluent now. i had it on 1280 and now on 1028.

If you've got more than 3gb of RAM then you can set the maxmem line to -maxmem=2048 (highest it'll go). Some people have mentioned improved performance with it but I personally have a slight performance drop with it on.

i will try that to, and whats the bestmethod to test fps? in the editor? or campaign and multiplayer

Just use the benchmarks under singleplayer/ scenarios

OK, guys... Hope someone could help me.

I have a major problem (i think)...

I have a ASUS crosshair formula III MoBo

Phenom II 955 3.2 BE CPU

ATI HD 4870 1Gb Graphic Card

2 X 2 Gb Corsair 1333 Mhz DDR 3 DiMMs

My problem is that in the benchmarks my TOP score is 22 FPS ???? ALL SETS VERY LOW!!!

With all maxed out to very high i get 13 FPS... A diference between the two sets of 9 FPS ???

Plus i have read people here with lower specs with way higher FPS...

SOMETHING IS WRONG HERE!!!

I just love this game and i want to play it properly... My PC is not the state of the art bus is no crappy Ch*** either....

Please some one tell me wath is wrong here??? Please...Please... Please...

OK, guys... Hope someone could help me.

I have a major problem (i think)...

I have a ASUS crosshair formula III MoBo

Phenom II 955 3.2 BE CPU

ATI HD 4870 1Gb Graphic Card

2 X 2 Gb Corsair 1333 Mhz DDR 3 DiMMs

My problem is that in the benchmarks my TOP score is 22 FPS ???? ALL SETS VERY LOW!!!

With all maxed out to very high i get 13 FPS... A diference between the two sets of 9 FPS ???

Plus i have read people here with lower specs with way higher FPS...

SOMETHING IS WRONG HERE!!!

I just love this game and i want to play it properly... My PC is not the state of the art bus is no crappy Ch*** either....

Please some one tell me wath is wrong here??? Please...Please... Please...

What is your Display rez, and ViewDistance? But dont take the Benchmark as how the game will run for you. Test your performance by actually playing..though the Campaign will show low fps too.

Well... My screen resolution is no the problem for sure... I'ts just a smal 17" _1280/1024...

And about view distance is like i said... ALL minimum specs (i Think 1000 Meters view distance)

And with ALL maximum specs( 3500 meters i think)... Between both configurations... ALL MAXIMUM and ALL minimum... only 9 FPS diference... And maximum FPS i got(With ALL minimum) was 22 FPS...

Just like i said... I don't have a monster PC... But is not bad either. Only 22 FPS??? With EVERITHING VERY LOW??? Wen i sai very low i mean even with the display at 800x600 !!!!!!

Edited by DiaboLusitano

Well... My screen resolution is no the problem for sure... I'ts just a smal 17" _1280/1024...

And about view distance is like i said... ALL minimum specs (i Think 1000 Meters view distance)

And with ALL maximum specs( 3500 meters i think)... Between both configurations... ALL MAXIMUM and ALL minimum... only 9 FPS diference... And maximum FPS i got(With ALL minimum) was 22 FPS...

Just like i said... I don't have a monster PC... But is not bad either. Only 22 FPS??? With EVERITHING VERY LOW??? Wen i sai very low i mean even with the display at 800x600 !!!!!!

And your refresh is 60hz? or do you have it at 75hz?, then you have Vsync on i bet.

Yep. As Klown mentioned, force V-Sync off at your drivers (ATI CCC), turn Anti-aliasing and Post Processing off and set everything else to medium (video memory to default), then go into some of the singleplayer scenarios and test out your performance there.