Sign in to follow this  
Chunk3ym4n

Make movement speed adjustable with mousewheel

I think it would be a good idea to make movement speed adjustable with the mouse wheel. I don't know anything that's binded to the mouse wheel so it seems fine for normal use. There should be 6 stages of movement.

6. Sprint

5. Run

4. Jog

3. Walk

2. Slower walk(3/4 speed of walk)

1. Very slow walk(1/2 speed of walk)

I think this sort of movement system would solve the trying to shoot out of cover leaning and then over stepping or understepping. I think your character should also have momentum and it should take a short while for your character to fully stop instead of being like sticks in the ground who instantly stop if you let go of the W key.

The action and command menus are bound to the mouse wheel AFAIK. Scroll and you start rolling over the action/command menus.

If you sit in a car and scroll your mouse it will bring up the options to exit/move seat etc. Maybe it can be changed. Never checked that tbh.

I think there would have to be 3 more series of movement animations for the additional speeds. And even though I agree about the movement momentum, it probably isn't there to make AI pathfinding easier.

The mouse wheel implementation is unworkable IMO because of the issues already raised, but as a TrackIR user I'd be happy for the fine small movements to be mouse driven using a hot key like the free-look key.

That way I would use the old freelook key, and my mouse would allow me to move in very fine increments forward & backward, left & right. Sometimes I don't have a fine enough movement to place myself exactly using the grosser keyboard movements.

Binding the speeds to the mousewheel would be a disaster. Using the mousewheel for actions is one of the most important controls in the game.

I'm not sure about 6 stage movement, I personnally think the existing system is adaquate.

If you want to bind the speed with your mousewheel then use the controll setting and assign 'toggle sprint' and 'toggle walk' etc to your mousewheel. the control settings are there for a reason.