Sign in to follow this  
victim913

Stop AI from seeing through fog and pitch black

I have the weather and fog set pretty bad. On purpose. I want to use the fog to sneak up on the enemy. But AI sees me just as if it was clear.

How can I get them to NOT see through the fog?

Also it seems like all soldiers with no night vision can see as clear as day also. Anyway to handle that?

I tried in both vanilla and ACE same result.

The only way i have thought of not getting shot through the fog or the dark is to set everyone as SETCAPTIVE so no one shoots at them, then trigger them back to normal, but then they will still be shot by people far off in the distance still.

Any ideas

or this will just be ignored like my other questions

Also, i will probably post as another question, but is there a way i can get my armor to stop being shot up by small arms fire? My landing craft don't even get close to shore before destroyed buy regular gunfire.

Edited by victim913

About the dark and fog, I don't know really.

This is more a general Arma 2 question/discussion than a scripting one.

I made a simple mission, three groups of two units in each with none of them wearing NVG's, with a moderate script which tracks the enemies know about values and ect of you.

I use the FR-Saboteur class.

time of day 19:20 as there is a window of about 40 minutes before the moon rises and everything becomes bright as day.

Overcast: rain, fog: heavy.

The enemy is facing about the same way I'm coming from.

At night "knowsAbout" rises to 1.5 no matter what, the enemy open fire and I "team switch" to the unit firing at me, and guess what? I don't see "myself", at all.

This when I'm either crawling or moving very slowly towards them to make "one shot one kill", and making very sure I don't tread on gravel or leave a silhouette.

So, somehow they just know I'm there.

However, if they have their backs turned at me I can almost sneak up and steal their underpants...

Then there's this thing with the AI seeing through bushes and etc. But that is the same as in daylight.

Another quite interesting thing is that if you throw hand grenades and even detonate satchel charges in their vicinity they doesn't care, but firing a non silenced weapon you "aggro" the whole continent.

Personally I gave up night missions since ArmA, and now in ArmA 2, at night the AI units doesn't move slowly when behaviour is set to stealth and speed at "limited".

If I recall from ArmA there were two different styles of the infantry AI in regards to their movement, one in daylight and one at night.

[edit]

After some more testing it seems to be what mode the AI is in, now after a couple of more tests it's very "realistic", and then sometimes not.

I do the same manoeuvres each time.

Hm, still undecided. :/

For your other question about vehicles.

ACE should have taken care of the vehicles not being able to be destroyed with small arms fire, or so atleast they claim?

In ArmA however each bullet fired at vehicles removes a small amount of the vehicles hit points.

Edited by Taurus

thanks for the reply. I thought this system was supposed to be pretty realistic but it seems the more i try to get into making missions, the more i seem to get let down.

I see everyone seems to have fallen into this ACE worship and now no one makes anything without using ACE. It seems to have alot of issues still just like vanilla. Only with different things. I thought ACE was really sensitive to sneaking up but it seems the same with what i am trying.

Well if anyone else has any ideas on how this can be done thanks.

Well I don't use ACE, as far as my little knowledge go about that giant of a mod is that everything requires there are humans playing the game, with little or no assistance from the AI.

But I guess testing it wouldn't do any harm, if I could understand how to install ACE as I never used it before...

There are things which are missing in the vanilla game IMHO.

About the vehicles, there is modding required I think, to make the AI not shoot at "soft" APCs with their small arms.

Now for the AI seeing in darkness and fog and trough bushes and grass and etc.

I completed the mission I was talking about previously if you want to take a look at it, and see what conclusions you make out of it.

AIvsDarkNFog

[edit]

to actually answering your question.

Besides the mod I was mentioning, there's nothing to be done about the AI seeing in the darkness.

But as I wrote, take a look at the mission and see what conclusions you make and if you want I'm more than happy to read your thoughts. :)

Edited by Taurus