Sign in to follow this  
BeerHunter

Why doesn't the Editor open/create PBO's?

Wondering why BI gave us a reasonable editor but failed to complete it.

They relied on an outside third party to come up with ways and means of unpacking and packing the PBO file. What would have happened if no one had stepped up to the plate and finished what BI started? We'd be SOL wouldn't we.

I understand that ArmA2 is a shell of a game and BI expects others to take the bull by the horns and finish it with mods , custom maps/campaigns etc but my god , wouldn't it have been a whole lot easier if the editor had that ONE final step...create or unpack the compressed file ArmA2 pbo file.

And you can't use the excuse that there are too many addons that could be included because NWN , right from the start , gave you a message saying the module required hack packs and did you still want to continue loading the mod. AFAIKS , there is a kind of include line in the pbo file that lists the required add ons anyway.

Sure would be nice if BI could complete something they started.

If you save from the editor you can save as a

User mission and it is saved to a folder.

Or

You can export as Single Player or Multiplayer mission, in which case it is made into a PBO.

Planck

You can export as Single Player or Multiplayer mission, in which case it is made into a PBO.

K txs - I didn't know that..:o

But you still can't OPEN pbo's in the editor can you? (or did I miss that too)....:rolleyes:

But you still can't OPEN pbo's in the editor can you? (or did I miss that too)....:rolleyes:

Sure you can. Just try and you'll see.

Best, Splicer.

--

ERRATUM: I STAND CORRECTED. Gunnery Sergeant BeerHunter brought up to my attention that the editor is a one-way pbo file creator only. He and I tried to open other pbo files and got a read-write error message and the file could not be opened.

It seems there is a special program to read pbo files. I'll let BeerHunter to post that info as I myself asked him for the name of the program too. :D

Thanks for clarification Gunnery Sergeant! :D

Best, Splicer.

Edited by Splicer

If you created the Mission and saved it, then the mission is saved in your PROFILE directory.

If you EXPORT it and create a PBO, you still have BOTH the original saved mission which you can re-open anytime, and the PBO file.

If you mean open SOMEONE ELSE PBO file, then you need a non-BIS tool like cPBO to open the file.

Gnat;1547797']

If you mean open SOMEONE ELSE PBO file' date=' then you need a non-BIS tool like cPBO to open the file.[/quote']

Correcto mundo. That was (is) exactly the case.

Two tools brought to my attention are:

Arma Unpbo Tool: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=416

and

Arma Tools: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=411

Thanks for the clarification [APS]Gnat! :D

Best, Splicer.