Sign in to follow this  
Kenwort

Multiplayer - Connection Failed!

Hi, I have this error when ever I try to connect to a server or even host my own game.

Connection Timeout...

I see the servers in the list but I can't connect to them.

I have tried disabling firewall, reinstalling ofp, changing firewall settings and antivirus setting.

I have windows7 and Avira Antivirus.

My i-net connection is fiber optic 200mbit.

Please help... :(

Hmm.. I guess it could be a windows 7 problem. I reinstalled windows 7 few days ago and ofp was working fine until this evening.. the same thing.. when opening a mp lobby I get "Connection Failed" ... worked fine this morning.. didn't change any system setting whatsoever.. :((

Found out that the problem is with ports and sockets.. but still white listing the needed ports I sometimes can't get in the lobby..

I've figured that maybe was something related this.

Have you enabled it in firewall rules?? Both incomin and outcomin connections? and what number ports?

tnx I'll try too hope that a solution finally is near ;)

Yes I tried to white list the ports, but adding this line in ofp shortcut seems to work better:

-port=3204

eh.....everyone installs 7 and then gets a lot of questions like why my sound is gone, why mp is not working, why textures are missing...xp still is the best system ever made.

Yeah i get the same, "connecting failed."

Any advice, i see people are playing with vista, any advice?

It doesnt seem to be able to create the client...

yep having the same probleme here.

I can only join by typing the IP adress of the server...not really easy.

I try to launch it with virtual xp sp2 but doesnt work also.

Its unable to create the client and i cant host a game.

Edited by Ez3kiel

with vista work the problem is only with win7 :(

yea, I hear so much about how alot of people still play, but how and where are they?

Me and 3 other people play fairly often, or rather used to play but now I suddenly got this socket failure and I'm still looking for solution. Fuck. I'm trying to think of any system-related changes that I made since the last time I played it, which was about 3 weeks ago. The only things I can recall is that I installed a PCMCIA card which allows me to access internet in this country that I'm visiting, and I also used NTFS compression on a couple of windows folders to save space.

I'm guessing that the PCMCIA card drivers must have somehow fucked it up, but if screwed the game up real bad because it fails to create a server even when all network adapters are disabled.

Ok, problem resolved here - it really was the PCMCIA network card that wrecked the game. Force-binding IP, switching the network order of preference, and even disabling the adapter in "network connections" did not help to resolve the problem - the card needed to be physically unplugged, the game then started working immediately.

So for everyone who has this problem:

-make sure that your computer name doesn't start with a number and doesn't contain unusual characters

-uninstall or physically remove network hardware you don't absolutely need to access the internet.

yep having the same probleme here.

I can only join by typing the IP adress of the server...not really easy.

I try to launch it with virtual xp sp2 but doesnt work also.

Its unable to create the client and i cant host a game.

Yeap this is the dsame for me i.e. with windows 7 i must join by IP address otherrwise I get a connecting failed message.