Sign in to follow this  
beton

Nome Winterisland

Hi all,

I´d like to inform you about the release of a new small Island.

First his island was made mostly for testing textures and objects.

After a while i decided to make it a little nicer and release it.

The island is inspired by the area around Nome in Alaska.

It´s a fictional island which is not far from the coast, so you can see the "virtual coast" at the horizon.

The map is quite small (about 4x4km) with the Island in the middle.

You can find two small settlements and a lighthouse connected by a small road.

The island is mostly covered with snow and snowy gravel and has many rocky areas but no bigger mountains.

There is not much, but mostly custom vegetation and the bumpy ground and the rocks may give good cover for infantry.

I hope you enjoy exploring the island. If you want to intensify the the winterfeeling use NIM dynamic weather.

If you find any bugs or have suggestions leave me a message, there might be a followup version if it is wanted by the community.

Mirrors are of course appreciated:

All downloads on first page:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1549967#post1549967

have fun....:)

Edited by Beton
additional link

Nice map but for some reason I get quite low FPS on this map.

SD

I havent tested it yet, but what happens if you set Terrain Detail to OFF (grass off)? Some custom made vegetation can be killers.

Well,

it maybe related to the small terraingrid (2 m), not the clutter.

I play it with landscape detail: normal

antialiasing: low

viewdistance: 3000

everything else is on high/very high

fraps shows me 35-40 fps.

However setting VD and landscapedetail too high seems to be a fps killer

Looks pretty decent to me :) I'm gonna give it a go soon!

Thanks Beton

Need some new links i can never download from crappy rapidshare for some reason it always says i am already downloading a file :confused:

Need some new links i can never download from crappy rapidshare for some reason it always says i am already downloading a file :confused:

Mirror on Armaholic thx to Foxhound...:)

Hmmmmm

Sorry, Looks like my PC had a brain fart when I first tested the Island. Seems to be running fine now ???

Nice work BTW

SD

Edited by Soupdragon

Hi Beton,

I haven't been able to test your island yet because it always crash to desktop when I try to open it in the editor...Well, it loads ok in the editor but when I place a "player" unit and Preview it CTDs. Any ideas?

I have no other mods running and I'm on ArmA 2 1.05.

Thx

NTRUDER;1545293']Hi Beton' date='

I haven't been able to test your island yet because it always crash to desktop when I try to open it in the editor...Well, it loads ok in the editor but when I place a "player" unit and Preview it CTDs. Any ideas?

I have no other mods running and I'm on ArmA 2 1.05.

Thx[/quote']

yeap me too.

It crashed twice.

No CTD's at all for me as yet.

Thanks very much for this island.I appreciate the effort and the guts it takes to release something that it not going to be understood and appreciated by most.

The only concern i have is that the non clutter veg has some severe Distant LOD limit

issues.

A desert version would be fantastic.I am not really into small terrains but 2m cell size makes for excellent infantry battles.

Terrain like this in islands was previously only Dreamt about.

Excellent work.Well done and keen to see more of your work in terrains like this.

Steve.:)

Hi,

Concerning the CTD i can say this seems to come from setting VD too high i have crashes at 10 too.

Performance seems to drop significantly when landscapedetail is set higher than normal.

This may be related to the small terraingrid.

Keep in mind that you also need Betons addons 1.3 for this island too.

I play it with landscape detail: normal

antialiasing: low

viewdistance: 3000

everything else is on high/very high

I have a core2duo 6400@2800 and 260gtx

@Anzacsas Steve:

You are right 2m terraingrid gives a nice Groundprofile for infantrycombat, many bumps to hide behind even with not much vegetation. That was my intetion when trying this.

But it seems not to be suitable for pilots who need high vd settings.

What do you mean with distant LOD limit issues?

Theres a non snow version in the pipe too, kind of summer in Alaska;)

Beton:)

I keep getting CTD's with this island aswell :o

My system:

Core i7 920

8GB DDR3 RAM

GTX285

My usual settings:

VD 5000

Postprocess effects OFF

All other settings on HIGH

Settings for this map 1: = CTD

VD 2000

Postprocess effects OFF

All other settings on NORMAL

Settings for this map 2: = CTD

VD 1000

Postprocess effects OFF

All other settings on LOW

Shadows OFF

the island is so great i love it but this bad performance sucks oh please beton check it out and release v.1.1 with normal performance das wäre echt fett:o

Stephsen

@Everyone,

A 2metre cell size means the terrain is extremely hi resolution.

BIS Games give everyone enough rope to hang ourselves 3 times over.By this i mean that normally in a game that has a 2m cell size,the Level Designer will never allow the player to push their veiwdistance to extreme settings.

Usually a game will cap certain things in order to achieve their goals whilst still being able to be played on an "average" pc.

Mission makers will have to allow for these types of variations of game engine spec's and not focus on the sacrafices but to take advantage of the new exciting "Feature" of the mission environment.

It will be quite some time before a flight game with their Very hi veiw distances will ever dare to use very low cell sizes for their terrain.

There has to be a sacrafice some where no matter how good the game engine is.

Nome Island would have to be one of the best terrains in AA1/2 for infantry manouvers. Simply because of its cell size.I would like to play a PvP mission with lots of players on this island...Hint ...Hint... anyone? :)

@Beton,

I mean to say the vegitation seems to disappear a very short distance from the player.

It would be great if the bushes that are not clutter related to be seen from further away ,like default AA2 veg.

Steve.

Ok since many people had performanceproblems and ctd´s i decided to redo the map with a bigger terraingrid. This will give higher fps and hopefully no more ctd. So everybody is invited to test.

Nome Island 1.1 is available in winter and in summer version. You can find all the downloadlinks at the first page of this thread:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1549967#post1549967

Beton: Lovely work. I'll check out the v1.1. It seems that CTDs are caused most often by ArmA 2 trying to take up too much RAM and the computer eating its own head as a result - this is at least the case for me.

If you could, as ANZACSAS Steve suggested, increase the distance at which bushes and so on are visible that'd help with the Infantry combat, even on the enlarged terraingrid v1.1.

Just downloading these just now...

An interesting experiment!! Back in the old OFP days 1600m viewdistance would have been considered luxury, and terrain grid size was 50m! It's impressive that 2m is even possible!

I suspect that the "draw distance" for bushes etc may be related to some sort of "number of cells distance" parameter - which would explain why with the reduced cell size the maximum draw distance for these objects has been decreased too... One of Kju's tweaks played with this parameter - I think - so it may be possible to increase the draw distance somehow for the hi-res island.

Looking forward to checking it out in detail! ;)

B

Hi

Nome winter island has been updated to v.1.2

- I made the island a bit rougher again, since it was too flat in the last version.

Betons addons have been updated to version 1.35

- added various ww2 Structures, which are now useable in the missioneditor

- many minor changes

download here:http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=94125

hey the small hills and valleys are back :jump_clap: thank u :thumb:

i`ll let u know when i have a nice mission finished on the island, but i cant promise anything (to many unfinished missions and to many ideas for to many other nice islands :))

i already build one unfinished,unpolished, quite untested mission, but its nothing special : link. its also running on our server (filter for -TOB-), but since ur new release i havent tested it yet.

@ runforest:

i hope the map suits you now.

I think there will be no big updates in the next weeks because i´m concentrating on my mainmap "huertgenwald" now.

have fun