Sign in to follow this  
bwc153

Bad serial number given in setup

Ok, i have Arma2 on steam account (bwc153) and can play it on this computer (although at really low FPS on minimal settings), but my gaming one has not had internet for 1.8 years. After reading some stuff on the internet i came to the conclusion i could copy my steam folder over to my gaming PC, then be able to run at least some of my games.

Whenever i try to run Arma2 on that PC i get an error message saying

"Bad Serial number given". I know how to use Regedit, and made a copy of the steam CD-key then put it on the other computer and ran it; thus giving in the correct CD-key but i still get that error.

Does anyone here know a way to fix that withought reinstalling (not an option) or fixing the computer (Been trying for 1.6 years, nothings worked)

Any help would be apreciated greatly.

Seems rather odd that you would purchase a game on steam (which requires an internet connection) so that you can't play it on your gaming PC. LOL

Just fix your PC dude, you won't regret it.

somewhere in the steam menu you can choose to make a backup of the game in current state. do this, then copy that backup to the other pc, then you can install that backup without steam trying to download everything again.

Why is reinstalling not an option?

Because with steam, reinstalling requires you to download the game, which is not possible; except maybe for the below solution which i am trying as soon as i finish with this post.

Seems rather odd that you would purchase a game on steam (which requires an internet connection) so that you can't play it on your gaming PC. LOL

Just fix your PC dude, you won't regret it.

Well, i purchased it for either computer, because i had a spare 8500 GTS card (i upgraded to an 8600 on my gaming PC, and they also gave us the 8500), but i am unsure if putting in the 8500 will work, due to this PC using an ATI Radeon 3200 integrated graphics card. My other hope was that maybe i could fix the other PC, but something is wrong. It will send traffic out, but will not recieve any at all (no virus, weve put multiple virus checking softwares on a 2GB flashdrive and scanned the computer with it, finding nothing)

somewhere in the steam menu you can choose to make a backup of the game in current state. do this, then copy that backup to the other pc, then you can install that backup without steam trying to download everything again.

thanks, but i will need to find a way to get steam to actually run in order to reinstall. I had hoped i could run Arma2 because it has not required me to run steam in order to run it on this PC. Which, it will run, but then CTD and get that error after loading.

Edited by bwc153

I wish you the best of luck.... ArmA2 wants YOU!

For me, I'll always go 'hard copy', soft versions seem to be so much trouble.... especially when you reinstall ya OS every 6-12 mths like I do :)