Sign in to follow this  
Dionysos

Ancient mod idea

I think it would be an nice contrast to make a mod featuring Roman, Greek, Egyptian, Norse, Persian, Oriental ancient civilisations. Imagine the possibilties, instead of blowing up a fuel station you could take part in Viking raids, fighting the Persian fleet at Salamis, slaughtering Celts as a Roman soldier, invading Israel as the Egyptians etc. Then perhaps a mythological side could be added. The player would be attacked Giants, Hydras, Minotaurs, Medusa, the Kraken, Maenads, Triton, Giant scarabs and lots more. It would be brilliant. What do you think?

But there are tools like Oxygen which would make the melee weapons, perhaps Bohemia Studios would change the code abit. But imagine the possibilities.

Still its possible there are the tools if the melee weapons were kept to last. But I've seen some good addons for Operation Flashpoint already which allow punching and kicking.

Which can be downloaded from a forum page on the Operation Flashpoint Editing Center. Also the G:8 mod uses riot shields and batons very well. What's the problem?

I tried searching there, but couldnt find any melee combat things... Could you get a link?

Hand to hand combat in OFP would be nice, but the terrain in OFP is simply to large... You dont see specops soldiers walk around and performing karate kicks do you? No, they shoot them...

It would be no point at all.

Think following scenario:

Two people engage each other.

You run out of ammo. Enemy run out of ammo.

You think "YES! CHARGE, ILL STICK A BAYONETT IN YOU!"

Do you kill him?

No.

In the meantime you got up and started running, he is running the other way, meaning you will never catch him since he is probably at least 100m in front of you biggrin.gif

Point: Too large areas... Not for close combat...

Dawdler, when/if we get Visitor we can make our own ilands. More woods etc etc. It can be working with melee weapons.

Yes, but then you raise the systems demand. OFP is a system hog already...

Adding so much it would be pointfull for close combat (really thick forrests, many shrubs, many buildings etc) wouldnt work so good...

I think it was in the addons_editing section but it was a very long time ago. The file was called CATfist.pbo and its author had a swearword written in his name.I'll have another look for it.

But here's a link for the G8 mod; http://ofp.gamezone.cz/G8/

Hi my wine drinking friend tounge.gif

If you want a game like that get Shogun:Totalwar.

Think it must be impossible in the current engine. For some realistic fightings we must have many men, hundreds at least. Now they should be enemies, too. Add all that polies, add the AI for all the enemy soldiers and only a few could play the mod.

Have you played Battlefield? Imagine that with 4 times the men and tell me if you PC could handle it smile.gif

3D RTS games are a no go for now sad.gif

In a realistic scale that is.

By "Battlefield" are you refering to Battlefield: 1942? I did'nt think that was out yet.

Shogun Totalwar is not vey good graphically, as Operation Flashpoint, besides Flashpoint has modern soldiers and weaponry as well, but the point is Flashpoint so is easy to develop addons for and mods.

Nothing says Flashpoint has to be; set in Everon, Malden and Koljugev in 1985; it could be be at Stalingrad at 1942, El Alamein 1942, Normandy 1944, Ardennes 1944, Vietnam, Korea, Battle of Salamis, Battle of Hastings, Battle of Agincourt any time, any place the possibilities are infinite. New tools enable Flashpoint to be made into whatever people want it to be. In time Bohemia Interactive will probably upgrade their Mission Editing, allowing drinking, eating, smoking, sleeping, swimming, dying, buying, it will all happen eventually.

In answer to Dawdler's point, 10Ghz PCs will probably be out in about 5 years or less, the pentium of new PCs is reaching phenominal figures, not to mention the RAM. Personally I have no troubles whatsoever with speed, I normally set the number of units to the maximum. Is there away to raise the number of units per squad to beyond twelve? Or do we have to wait for a patch.

"Yesterday" Flashpoint was a set game in 1985 set on Malden, Everon and Kolgujev, but tomorrow it will be wherever you want it to be.

hey why not make a near future mod with robot's in sted of tanks there would still be a gunner,commander and driver and that.mmm that would be so cool seeing big robots walking in to battle. smile.gif

Dionysos,

Your idea sounds awsome!

However I think a better engine choice for such a mod would be the "Serious Engine" ala Serious Sam. That engine could easily support scores of melee fighters across massive environments with much better visceral effect.