With the inclusion of the AH-64D in the v1.05 patch, it seemed an appropriate time to port over and release this AH-64D systems addon, which includes: IHADSS, MFD & TADS system. It's aimed at the avid chopper pilot, who likes to play with gadgets and doesn't mind a more complicated system, but it's not for serious use due to it's limitations with targeting, etc.
Required addons: CBA (for XEH)
Compatibility: Untested with other addons. It's a client-side addon. Not fully tested for MP yet. The visual and sound effects for the flares is only activated on other clients if they use it too.
Background: It was originally designed for the AH-64A by the Hellenic Warfare Mod (HWM) team which was part of HWM Release 4 for Arma 1.
See the HWM Manual 4.0.pdf file, pages 32-43 for details, including images. The functionality is 90% the same as it was in Arma 1. I might create a WIKI page for it later. Note: The contents of the file HWM Manual 4.0.pdf will not change between versions (so no need to re-download).
The manual includes these topics:
- MFD (Multi-function Display)
- MFD Help menus
- TADS (Target Acquisition and Designation System)
- DTV (Daytime TV)
- PNVS (Pilot Night Vision System)
- IHADSS (Integrated Helmet And Display Sight System)
- IHADSS Monocle with HMD
- IHADSS Configuration menus
- IHADSS HUD/TADS Symbology and Indicators (pilot and/or CPG)
- IHADSS Warnings System - missiles and collision detection
- Pilot PNVS Tracking Camera (with 4 tracking modes)
- PNVS Laser Target Designator
- PNVS Tracking Cursors
- Armaments Menu
- Target Selection
- Radar Displays (both RWD Radar Warning Display and Forward Radar)
- Aircraft Status menu - not functional in Arma 2 version for now.
- Controls menu
- FLIR/NV Config menu
- Flares Countermeasures
- MFD shortcut is Left-Alt key.
- shortcut keys are listed in the MFD under: Controls->Help.
- the functionality for the pilot and CPG are quite different.
- FLIR: Unfortunately the HWM FLIR system from Arma 1 was not compatible with Arma 2, so the BIS FLIR technique was used instead. A better system probably won't be attempted due to the upcoming release of OA.
- Targeting: Arma 2 is still lacking some commands from the wishlist like: lockedTarget, turretLockedOn & turretLockOn; making the development of a better targeting system too difficult.
- Warnings: Incoming Missile warning only operates while IHADSS is active (either monocle or DTV).
- Targets: The Radar does not auto refresh targets. You need to refresh by viewing Targets page again.
- Laser Designator: The CPG does not currently have access to the laser designator, even though he should. Hopefully, this may be fixed in future.
Short-term Plans: Fix a bunch of minor issues, plus minor improvements. (list of 30 items)
Potential Long-term Plans: Add support for other addons that use similar/better sub-systems. Extend support for some of this functionality to other choppers and planes/jets, especially: AH-1Z, C-130, UH60. Which is why it uses the generic title AircraftHUD.