Sign in to follow this  
ladlon

Innocent question regarding movement speed

Again, I'm relatively new to the 'true military technique', so here's an innocent question...

How fast would a fireteam generally move across the terrain? At this point, if called to a point on the map for some Secom mission, I usually find myself running there, but am fully aware that this may very well not be the proper method.

On one hand, I would think that the team would move slowly and carefully... but at the same time (especially in the case of assisting friendlies under fire, etc) I would think they would rush there as fast as possible.

Just trying to get a sense of what the 'correct' way is... and of moving across the map in general. If things SEEM clear, is the team just walking along, down a road, guns down?

(Seems this MIGHT be a good time to dive into that tactics guide everyone gets pointed to, eh?)

it all depends on the time you have allotted, the slower the better- youll have better stamina thus aim more accurately when you make contact, and your situational awareness is much higher moving slower, but without a doubt there will be times when running is the preferred choice for like you say, if friendly are needing assistance, or moving cover to cover under fire running is idea, but you get the picture

Depends on the urgency of the objective.

If a friendly squad is under heavy fire and you need to flank the opfor before they encircle your guys, time is of the essence and you'll have to get there as fast as possible.

That doesnt mean however you should run headlong into battle with little to no care.

As to 'guns down', this is something no soldier would do unless he is on a patrol with little expectancy to see combat.

Once you are thinking you might see action, it's usually best to have your weapon in a 'low-ready' state.

And when you are in direct combat or entering a town where a firefight is going on, i'd always keep my gun up to be able to react immediately to any threat.

So basically: no threat = gun down, expected contact = low-ready, contact = guns up.

I'd like to mention though that in combat, and especially in roomclearing, there are a thousand don'ts you dont necesarily think about.

You act for the best, but in the end you always think 'it turned out pretty well, but i left a gap in that area while doing this' or 'this could have been done differently'.

Retrospect is a bitch :)

I loved to watch the replay function for Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear where i could spectate myself playing after-action in different camera angles.

Sometimes i notice security gaps and sometimes an enemy actually walks through that security gap leaving me thinking 'crap, if he had turned around i would have been dead'.

There is no perfect execution imo, and that's what kept tactical sims alive and fresh to me all these years. You can always do better, you can always improve. You are never done.

When the AI teammates have their guns pointing downwards, is that considered 'guns down', as I notice they travel like that a lot. Or, is guns down something further than that (guns slung over shoulder) which I haven't seen yet?

A Rainbow Six game had a replay feature?? That would have been great in some of the other ones (which I have)... or even Arma2 itself!....both for the learning/training aspect, as well as the cinematic fun of it.

Incidentally (totally off Arma topic)... Do you happen to know the name of the project that was happening a year or so ago that was supposed to be a 'very realistic' anti-terrorist sim (to cater to all those who still play Ravensheild, but need something a bit more elaborate and next-gen)? I thought it had the word 'black' in the name. Can't seem to find anything on it anymore (lost the website link), and was curious about it. Ravenshield was great (random tango hunt), but dated.... and Vegas (which I reluctantly purchased, long after release) decided to lock out all mods and map makers, essentially killing it's lifespan immediately. Shame...