Sign in to follow this  
Graw2Pro

Toggle run / walk button to avoid RSI injuries

Need for an auto run button

I think an auto run button should be introduced to prevent repetitive strain injuries (RSI) caused by holding the "move forward" button down on long journeys.

Holding the forward button down for extended periods of time is unhealthy and certainly not realistic - why should your finger hurt after walking a long distance?

BIS should introduce this feature in the interest of sound ergonomic practice.

Given the increasing prevalence of RSI arising from keyboard use, a game like Arma which can demand up to 15 minutes period of holding one key down with one finger, should come with a health warning!

It is not the force involved but rather the duration that is the problem. Any physiotherapist would warn of the potential for chronic musculo-skeletal disorders.

Use space bar instead

I have changed my forward button to space bar because its easier to hold down on long walks and also easier to stuff a wad of paper into.

More realism

I recommend others do the same. It actually makes the game more realistic because "long" journeys on foot become more viable: you can do something else whilst they re walking - like some real exercises and stretching for example!

Previously I used to avoid long journeys on foot like the plague for the simple reason that it involved holding a button for 10 minutes which makes my finger tired and it not fun or "realistic".

Edited by Graw2Pro

Well if you're not getting tired on long trips, it's not realistic. :p

You can use a gaming keyboard, AutoHotkey, joystick throttle bind, jamming the key down... but honestly, if you are running for 15 minutes straight you'd be better off with a long distance running simulator than a war game because you are doing it wrong. Also, RSI comes from repetitive motion, not from holding down a button.

I think ACE solves this by making you fall over after 5 or 10 minutes :)

As far as "realism" goes - well, it's a video game. It's never going to be realistic in terms of finger usage and stamina etc. I find that if I need to run for more than 30 seconds, then I'm possibly/probably running into danger. Regular stops and observation is more realistic.

What kind of keyboard do you have? Pressing a button on mine is exactly as exhausting resting my hand on the table, and i dont even have one of those fancy 'soft' keyboards where you can press buttons by sneezing.

The original poster does have a point all be it not a new one. This has been brought up before.

The rest of you guys plonk yourself somewhere on the map in the middle will do then run all the way to one corner, at least 30 mins holding the key down then report back.

The thing is this does happen, chopper shot down on way to insertion point but you survive. No pickup coming so do you just suicide? yeah that is real. No you decide to hoof it there.

I think an auto run key does not detract from the game or the realism but makes the long hauls doable more often and it is a simple request after all, 5 minute coding probably.

They have this same thing in WWII Online for that same reason.

What kind of keyboard do you have? Pressing a button on mine is exactly as exhausting resting my hand on the table, and i dont even have one of those fancy 'soft' keyboards where you can press buttons by sneezing.

It's a microsoft reclusa one.

It's not the pressure that's the problem. It's the duration.

Furthermore, I believe the game's a lot better when running or walking to distant locations is a viable option rather than a pain in the erm...finger.

G15 keyboard FTW! Set up one of the macro buttons for auto run.

I have simply assigned the Throttle axis of my Joystick for walking. I can walk now automatically at any speed from very slow to running. without pushing any button....I have assigned the aiming to the XY axis and up down stance and leaning to the POV...its like playing Mech Warrior now ;)