Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Javelin Use and Hard Difficulty

A target box or just a red light... Or something - would be nice.

In OA im counting on update for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Johan S View Post
    Isn't right mouse button just "reveal target", that is, report a target to your AI teammates? I doubt it will make any difference in locking on. As long as you see the lockbox, you're locked on.

I totally agree that it would be nice with an actual Javelin interface, that should have been in the game from the beginning.
    Oh right... actually, I´ve remapped the keys so right click to assign/aquire targets works along with reveal target as in Arma and OFP.

Much more comfortable to command squads too, that way.

Quote Originally Posted by richiespeed13 View Post
    Oh, for me i am always pressing tab with the javeline, it comes up with the same circle and square as in an aircraft. From there the missile will never miss unloss the lock is broken somehow.

Which mods do you guys use? Or are you all on default settings? I have never had an issue with the javeline personally, so it's interesting to know whats going on here!
    Lock is automatic, there is no need to press tab.
    My System:
    Core I5 750 OC to 3.33ghz, Asus P55 Turbo Mobo, 4gb Kingston DDR3, 4gb USB2.0 Flash, Sapphire HD4870 1gb CCC 9.11, 500gb SATA2, Win XP pro 32bit, Pilfius voice recognition, Betop Force Feedback Joystick, TrackIR 4 Pro, Microsoft IME 3.0 gaming mouse, WolfKing Keyboard
    My Mission Series:
    Operation Iron Fist series , experience the realities and cruelties of war 股指期货

Some times I wonder how hard it actually would have been to make a tag-the-target mechanic similar to using the laser marker to aim artillery in the game, for the Javelin.

A Javelin does not auto target, it just doesn't. It just seems such a pointless design flaw in the game, why was it done this way?

Even COD got the tag system ...

*slightly offtopic rant over, please forgive me.
    Last edited by sparks50; Jan 4 2010 at 03:28.

Quote Originally Posted by InstaGoat View Post
    Oh right... actually, I´ve remapped the keys so right click to assign/aquire targets works along with reveal target as in Arma and OFP.

Much more comfortable to command squads too, that way.
    I don't really understand what you mean here. What is assign/aquire targets? The Javelin locks on automatically, there's no need to press any button, as far as I know.

EDIT: Looking at the control options, I see that holding the right mouse button is mapped to "reveal target", and also "zoom or lock". Is there a weapon that needs to be locked on with the right mouse button? Could it be used to lock on a Javelin when the target is obscured behind trees or something? The Javelin locks on automatically for me, but I've only used it with the target in full view.
    Last edited by Johan S; Jan 4 2010 at 06:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Johan S View Post
    EDIT: Looking at the control options, I see that holding the right mouse button is mapped to "reveal target", and also "zoom or lock". Is there a weapon that needs to be locked on with the right mouse button? Could it be used to lock on a Javelin when the target is obscured behind trees or something? The Javelin locks on automatically for me, but I've only used it with the target in full view.
    The javelin will loose its target if its obscured. Try with a tank driving in/behind a forest, damn near impossible to get a steady target lock. AFAIK there's no way to lock on to it.

I think the javelin works just fine, what it could use is fixed damage (so many times where it doesnt even destroy a BMP) and someway to see whether its locked on a target on veteran.

Ok, so you can not hold the right mouse button to get a lock then? I just thought that since the control is called "zoom or lock", you have to be able to use it to lock something. Of course, this may not apply to the Javelin, it could be for another purpose.

Play once on regular in the editor, see how it works, and know that on expert it is the exact same thing except with no indicators... And/Or use spacebar to see what it's locked on to.

Yeah, the javelin mechanics are pretty horrible in the game, especially when compared to how it is IRL.
    You don't mess with the Zohar!
    YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/galzohar
    Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/galzohar
    ArmA Israel: http://www.arma-il.info
    Check out and support upcoming Ground Branch: http://www.groundbranch.com/

that's why I stick to METIS in this game so far

Well here is the issue i have had with it. There was quite a few times i was unable to get a lock on a Tank that was in full view with no trees or bushes around while playing multiplayer, But from time to time i can still get a lock on a BMP that is some what behind trees and bushes. There have also been times when a BMP and a T72 or T90 are in the same field of view with the Jav and i was unable to lock onto the T72 or T90. So inreality i have had issue locking onto tanks in full view, but at the same time i can "accidently" lock on tanks behind cover. There have been plenty of other times also when in hard mode with a clear line of sight on a tank and then launching the Jav and finding there the missle never even hits the tank or even contacts the ground. So in short. i find that if you play on hard difficalty, and the using the Jav, you have a 50/50 chance of hitting the target. With the three suprize choises, Aim fire and hit the target you aim at. Aim fire and accidently hit a target you didnt intend to aim at. Or Aim, Fire and watch the missle go wildly high into space never to be seen again.

Jesse

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast