Sign in to follow this  
trickster1982

AI & smoke grenades...

Ive noticed in the game that AI squadmates & enemies are often equipped with smoke grenades but im yet to see one being used by anyone other than me in the game, has anyone else seen an AI use one or are they just there so when you search bodies you find them, making it look like the kind of gear you would find in real life if you searched dead military personnel on the battlefield? :confused:

I've never seen default AI use smoke grenades. However I use VFAI addon and I always see the augmented AI use smoke grenades. Also, SLX addon suite makes use of smoke grenades too.

I've seen them use them, lots of times playing online with no mods. When you have dropped a few and have the rest pinned down, seems to be the time they let them fly.

Perhaps the server had server-side modifications running? I've never seen them throw smoke or use flares in vanilla ArmA2.

when playing online without mods I often see enemy AI deploy smoke when fired upon.

I dont think I have ever seen my AI team deploy it tho...

But is there a point to them using them? Can the AI see through smoke? That could be why they aren't scripted (in vArmA2) to use them.

But is there a point to them using them? Can the AI see through smoke? That could be why they aren't scripted (in vArmA2) to use them.

My tests show that particles block AI view.

AI won't use smoke or flares by default behavior. But behavior scripted in mods can also be scripted in missions, which is why you can sometimes see them use it in missions even with no addons running.

Particles and AI... Hmm, my "tests" are inconclusive. You may use smoke to screen your approach, which helps you keep hidden from detection. But once you're made, smoke won't help a bit. The second you peak out from hiding, you'll be met by a wall of bullets - accurate onces that hit. Only lean, no movement, so no sound involved.

ACE smoke is far better, in fact too good, using it's viewblock system.

I haven't tested vanilla behavior with 1.05 though, so things might have changed.