Sign in to follow this  
Animatortristan

Just want to play!

hey guys, i live in australia and I JUST WANT TO PLAY A GAME OF PVP!!!

love the game, but the multiplayer gaming is so amazingly confusing!!!!

i have some friends who want to play and they come across the same problems.... we know how to find servers, had plenty of experience with online gameplay so its not hard to find them...

but you join and you have to download all this crap and because you dont have it, it doesnt let you join...

ace mods?

domi maps?

whatever it is... someone help me and my mates so we can just join an online game and scratch some noobs!!!!

how can there be no standard multiplayer maps for the newcomers? someone reply to this and answer my questions, i have read the sticky threads and none of them answer the questions.... i played on a 3fl server, but that was the only one i can join because it auto downloaded the map.... none of the others do..... :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: <<< upset

i even downloaded the hlsw thing, it made no difference... was easier to use, but still no luck with the gaming experience

There are no standard maps because the server admins are obsessed with 1) ACE2, which is a large and popular mod for ArmA II, and 2) large, dynamic missions like Evolution and Domination.

Many servers use mods. That's why you're getting kicked, because you don't have them. Many servers also don't allow any mods at all, so you'll be kicked if you're using one. Same as it is in mostly every other PC game.

You'll have to deal with what missions they play, however. I haven't played ArmA II MP in a long time since mostly everything played publicly are huge, dynamic coops that are awesome when you start off playing them, but get really boring when it ends up being all that you play.

What Zipper says, but

..whatever it is... someone help me and my mates so we can just join an online game and scratch some noobs!!!!

I honestly don't think this is the game for you.

If you still think ArmA2 is the way to go just host a server with your preferred setup like the rest of us do.

Im afraid arma 2 fails at the moment when it comes to pvp. Very disappointing.

True indeed. BIS failed to support what kept this type of game alive almost a whole decade.

WWW is creeping with coop servers with players who don't have the guts to play vs. other humans yet complaining the ai is "cheating". :D

You will rarely find any pvp vanilla servers. Most coop servers are even on the ACE trip now.

You can hardly blame BIS on the PvP side of things. It's just as easy, if not easier to set up than Coop since you don't even have to worry about creating AI.

If so many players want PvP, why not bunch together and organise missions, or even get a dedicated server? It's not as if BIS hosts Coop servers.

I am not entirely sure (since I am one of those coop nutters), but isn't Charlie Foxtrot catering for the PVP gamers?

http://cfarma2.com/

Might be a nice place for people of your persuation.

Daniel is right tho, in stating that you can easily get organised and have some pvp games running - someone just has to carry the torch. As I see it, there are quite a lot of you pvp crazies in this fine community of ours, but you seem much more disorganised than us coop'ers.

EDIT:

Just found this other community - seems very nice, and it is all about the PvP!

http://www.armacalypse.com/

Edited by Hund

EDIT:

Just found this other community - seems very nice, and it is all about the PvP!

http://www.armacalypse.com/

In addition to ArmAcalypse, there is the C5 server. Currently neither one requires any addons in order to play. I have seen Australian players on both of these servers, but the time difference might be inconvenient.

I am not entirely sure (since I am one of those coop nutters), but isn't Charlie Foxtrot catering for the PVP gamers?

http://cfarma2.com/

Might be a nice place for people of your persuation.

I don't think so. The admins arbitrarily ban anyone who disagrees with them or doesn't give them special treatment because of their admin status. The atmosphere in that tournament is narrow-minded and non-transparent.

I don't think so.

Over 100 regular players every week would disagree with you. Charlie Foxtrot (previously IC-ArmA) was and is the largest weekly PvP community in both ArmA and ArmA2 since around April 2007 (you may have noticed we are now in 2010, we are coming up on 3 years now). The numbers dont lie. People fall out its true, but the fact that its been going so strongly while other communities have floundered is testament to the good work which the tournament does.

when you talk about the map i am assuming that you mean the mission, and if you don't have the very same version as the one on the server it will always DL the mission to you, you do not need to do anything regarding missions.

Islands and Addons are a totally different story however, they are not complicated in what they do and how they are used. Read the wiki, the use of addons and the required changes to the startup parameters/command line is explained in detail.

The negative feelings towards mods and addons within this community are caused by 1 mod, ACE2, its great but the fact that the content of the mod changes on an almost daily basis causes issues, not just for players but also server admins.

you update the client side info for 1 server, then you find that the next server you join hasn't updated so you can't play on it. It is a pain in the tits i won't argue that fact.

However these rant posts about mods and addons are wearing thin, get an addon sync tool, find a good server that updates regularly and run the sync tool before you start your game.

its not rocket science, takes 2 minutes to update.

Esco

Over 100 regular players every week would disagree with you. Charlie Foxtrot (previously IC-ArmA) was and is the largest weekly PvP community in both ArmA and ArmA2 since around April 2007 (you may have noticed we are now in 2010, we are coming up on 3 years now). The numbers dont lie. People fall out its true, but the fact that its been going so strongly while other communities have floundered is testament to the good work which the tournament does.

I'm not disputing the numbers, surely it's the tournament with the most players per game. But since you are an admin there, how do you explain that I was banned from the tournament on the same day I registered before I even had a chance to break any rules, much less join an army or do anything else? I never got an answer to the email I sent to the admins' address concerning the ban, so I'm inclined to think that the admins don't play above board. I'll gladly take back my words if it was a genuine misunderstanding.

Edited by Celery

how do you explain that I was banned from the tournament on the same day I registered before I even had a chance to break any rules, much less join an army or do anything else?

IC-ArmA and Charlie Foxtrot are the same tournaments, paid for and run by the same people. Its just a different name thus all bans were transferred from IC to CF. You weren't the only one who was re-banned upon our rebranding. I wasn't an admin at IC-ArmA as you may remember. I cant recall why you were banned in IC for that I apologise. I hold no grudges against you personally but the rules are the rules. We enforce them which is why our tournament is and has been so successful.

As an FYI Celery I think the number of people banned in 3 years totals around 5. You are one of them and I can name 2 others for definite. So you assertions in your first post are totally wrong. Be that as it may, you will continue to grind your axe against CF which is your right I suppose no matter what explanation is or is not given.

You weren't the only one who was re-banned upon our rebranding.

That only proves my statement as true. Re-banning people in a tournament for another game is questionable enough, but the reasons behind the bans originally in IC-ArmA don't stand the light of day, since most of them were consequences of personal disputes with specific admins, one of them who was clearly abusing his admin tools to mess with the forum and TeamSpeak accounts of the tournament's members he disliked, going as far as banning people on a whim and reading and deleting their PM inbox/outbox that would prove his abusive behavior. The reason behind my ban(s) also stemmed from personal issues (didn't break any rules), and I received a permanent ban in IC-ArmA after I suggested that the admins and a member who was having a dispute with them would forget about their fight and concentrate on playing.

It seems that I'm still banned for negotiating peace?

Edited by Celery

ok ok, thankyou for the replies!!

so two things i have learnt with this post that can help.

#1, get an automatic mod patcher thingy... :confused:

#2, if i want to help with the online gaming, i might aswell hire a dedicated server for the pvp gamage

#3, the demo that i played, is far better than the full version... with a tug-o-war/pointcapture type game with ai... was really fun. it was the reason i purchased.

#4, The organisers of this game, (though it is my most favourite awesome game) have not made a standard for online gaming... this standard is what seperates the games that have millions of players, to the games that only have thousands.

i will still try to figure out the online gaming... my mission in life is to figure it out now... because i know the potential of it. but i want to say i'm dissapointed at the fact that there is no support for just standard game with no mods. the original game is perfectly awesome. :mad:

please tell me anything else that might help my friends and myself in learning how to gamage online! :)

If you get ACE, you'll be set for most servers. Except of course when you update and the server doesn't. Other mods occasionally get updated, but bloody ACE right now can change every day. Yoma is an easy one - download that, find a server to sync to (http://zeus-community.net/yas/zeus/yas2302.7z for example, in the auto-config URL), download when needed. Be prepared for a massive download first up (must be around a gb now) http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/A.C.E_Advanced_Combat_Environment

Grab Quesh-Kibrul, too, as the only TvT I've seen in Aus is from OCB, and they have a server message saying Quesh missions are going up. And Panthera and Isla Duala, too. Just 'cause I said so. Search Armaholic for those. With a mod launcher, you can use their in-built server browser before booting the game, find what servers are using what mods, and load up beforehand. I think Yoma does this, too. OCB is also running a ladder, though it looks fairly barren right now. Teams are there, but challenges aren't happening. You can find them at ausgn.net to find out about that. Also take a look at AusArma.org, seeing as you're from around there.

Theres plenty of Aussie servers that dont require the use of mods, and they pretty much all will let you download the mission.

You should get into using mods anyway, thats half the fun with Arma2. Its abit daunting at 1st but theres plenty of faq's about.