Sign in to follow this  
-Shifty-

AA is way too overpowered

I just spend 3 hours trying to kill this one person, along with the rest of my team.

I would buy an AV8B and fly @ 2000m. My radar never detected him, but he sure detected me.

I lost 5 harriers to that *****. I've never been so furious in my life, ever. If I could magically teleport to him, I would *Censored due to excessive violence*.

I tried flying high and fast, low and fast, high and slow, low and slow. No matter what I did this guy always shot us all down. Then we went at him with tanks, and out of nowhere we were getting nailed by rockets, the commander radar wouldn't detect him either. I lost 3 tanks to a Tunguska. 3 TUSKs !

I had 200'000$, I ended up with 90k I spent so much on planes helicopters etc. One guy actually managed to find him and lock onto him with an AH64, he put 8 hellfires into him and he took 3 or 4 AA missiles and blew up.

I am, in no way exaggerating. We went from having total air superiority, nearly ever town, unchallenged tanks. To a few miserable 50 service point towns in 3 hours, thanks to one little ****** and his AA.

There is no way, AA should be this powerful and undetectable.

If you have any tips, throw em at me. Oh and the ***** is called Dakan.

Maybe you shouldn't counter AA with air, mate. :P

After your first attempt, I would've tried inserting a SF team with AT or demo near the location.

Well its not only AA, just drive a tank around and you have to be afraid to die from every human player since most carry atg´s....well, modern warfare is fun but for a computer game ww2 style is probably more fitable since you dont have any fire and forget weapons.

I cant say how modern warfare looks like in practice more precise only from what i did read and see but, maybe some real life vets are around here who can comment. I cant imagine that you loose helicopters and tanks that easy, since the costs for such units are extremly high in comparison to a low cost infantry anti air or anti tank weapon...and, of course not every soldier is carrying one.

I guess that the tactic is different than we play in this game, tanks and helis operate from much more distance away to clear targets (distance is reduced ingame) and the unorganized war ingame reminds more on guerilla warfare not really army vs army, similar like in Irak where they did loose most vehicles and lifes from IDE.

A massive dmlr artillery strike ingame can be very devastating and overpowered aswell...=)

Edited by oxmox

Well, I just tried again. I was flying @ 4200m and I was still shot down by enemy anti air. Particularly that same *****. I'm on a server right now and I don't know what to do,

I really wish I could join a clan that had proper well organized battles. *Sigh*, if only I could find a good EU clan.

Depending on the AA, simply maintaining a high altitude isn't enough, Shifty.

For example, IRL, the US lost a U2 to a Soviet AA battery in Cuba, and that aircraft has a service ceiling of 85,000+ ft (25,900+ m).

Play the Top Gun Theme song "Danger Zone". Then when you get blown out of the sky at least you have some cool tune that will drown out the swearing, lol. J/k I feel your pain bud.

Depending on the AA, simply maintaining a high altitude isn't enough, Shifty.

For example, IRL, the US lost a U2 to a Soviet AA battery in Cuba, and that aircraft has a service ceiling of 85,000+ ft (25,900+ m).

So what is enough? Going in with a tank? No the stupid Tunguska can lock onto tanks from far away with it's missles, which are AA...

Then I tried on foot. Well no guess what he's got an ub3r big gun. You simply cannot kill this *****.

I've never had this problem before and I hope it never happens again.

Then I tried on foot. Well no guess what he's got an ub3r big gun. You simply cannot kill this *****.

What, you're trying to use a satchel or something?

A Javelin will nail a tunguska at like 1000m distance easy. He wont even render your infantry.

What, you're trying to use a satchel or something?

A Javelin will nail a tunguska at like 1000m distance easy. He wont even render your infantry.

Actually it goes out to 3050m, I checked. The only time I spotted him I quit the silly crap and sent TUSKs at him. The guy would lock onto them way before my men even detected them, even my commander radar didn't detect him but somehow he found me. I lost 3 TUSKs to him.

AFAIK the M1A2 TUSK can take just about anything (Without the crew being harmed, but the vehicle is FUBAR), but in this game it turns out the Tungusta, a cheap, lightly protected AA vehicle is the worlds uber machine that can lock onto anything.

Well, I just tried again. I was flying @ 4200m and I was still shot down by enemy anti air. Particularly that same *****. I'm on a server right now and I don't know what to do,

I really wish I could join a clan that had proper well organized battles. *Sigh*, if only I could find a good EU clan.

Honestly, radar systems are not really simulated in this game. The solution in simulation games aswell in reality for aircrafts/helis to avoid radar detection is flying with very low altitude and not high. :D If you fly that high every radar can spot you anyway, low altitude is the only key to have a chance to avoid detection. Since the game doesnt simulate radar it will detect you always doesnt matter which altitude.

just an real life example from Iraq:

whUDo6qvogI

Edited by oxmox

What I would do is hug the ground with a harrier, you should be able to stay out of the line of fire. And I mean LOW, like below treeline low. Once you get close lock on to him and drop a Mk.82 and peel off. Problem solved.

I've had trouble targeting AA in Domi too. I'd be in ma harrier bombing the snot out of the armor and had killed a couple Tunguskas, then going to rearm I see a stream of green tracers from behind, then I explode.

What is name of server? Does server have file check on? Does other player have any "mods" on that you don't? :386:

Other player maybe cheating with moded files. You might be playing with missing files. :icon_ohmygod:

Or it might just be that you suck at flying. Lots of peeps think they know how to fly cause they can shoot down ai but can't hit jack when it comes to another player.:don3:

If that other player is hitting you from over the horizon I would check to see is the server has file check on to see if he is playing with something he is not supose to have.

I just spend 3 hours trying to kill this one person, along with the rest of my team.

One guy actually managed to find him and lock onto him with an AH64, he put 8 hellfires into him and he took 3 or 4 AA missiles and blew up.

If you have any tips, throw em at me.

He ate 8 Hellfires in a tincan Tunguska? :rolleyes:

There's your problem... tip? ban.txt

/thread

Edited by Killswitch

Pretty much. The other day we were playing and a single guy M1A1 took an unlimited amount of damage without being destroyed. he singlehandlly won the game.

Anyway you don't counter AA with air tbh.

p.s: clarification, the guy was cheating

Edited by KNac

Seriously, I find the tanks in ArmA2 uber weak.

Most tanks can be destroyed easily using rapid firing stuffs such as MG and those RPG guys make life hell for tanks as well. These days, I use tanks as movable artillery. Standing off way way way from the objective area and shower cannons into the area, soften the ground and then let my infantry do the job of clearing and taking over the objective.

Edited by jasonnoguchi

Does the term glass cannon mean anything to you?

Note how tank where used in Yugoslavia, mostly as mobile artillery.

Seriously, I find the tanks in ArmA2 uber weak.

Most tanks can be destroyed easily using rapid firing stuffs such as MG and those RPG guys make life hell for tanks as well. These days, I use tanks as movable artillery. Standing off way way way from the objective area and shower cannons into the area, soften the ground and then let my infantry do the job of clearing and taking over the objective.

Well the tanks are bugged due to engine limitations. They can be destoryed by small arms fire (it will take a few thousand rounds though). A script/mod fixed this, and made tanks have realistic armor in the process, but it gets kinda laggy if multiple people are unloading MG's into the tank. (due to the script having to check every bullet to make sure it does NOT cause damage to the tank) However, with the autocannnons from say a tunguska, it can be destroyed much quicker, due to the firing speed, and larger damage of the shells.

Also, your tactic is kind of what tanks are supposed to do, which is provide supporting fire. Although in some cases, tanks may have to be used as mobile shields to allow infantry to get in really close to a targe, likely sacrificing their tank in the process.

ACE2 models tank damage much better and they are actually usefull as can withstand a good deal of damage.

Offtopic: I know of this "Dakan" character from another forum. He always defended OFP: DR as being better than ArmA2 and I lolled at him because he was obviously wrong.

Ontopic: The Tunguskas are VERY powerful, it's up the warfare dev to up the price and restrict ammo/rearming abilities at this point to provide better balance.

Warfare isnt about "balance" its out about over whelming force. The tung is just that.

Warfare isnt about "balance" its out about over whelming force. The tung is just that.

no there always SHOULD be some sort of balance. Of course it's not two symmetrical teams, but the Tunguska is very OP... hence why it should cost NO LESS than $10,000 in a warfare match

Balance is not needed to a certain grade.

Think about it: In real life you'd be dead from 25 km.

Anybody can fly low, but with an AV8B (Using Mk.82s) how can you bomb the sucker? You would have to pass over him, then lock, then use Hydras and hope you don't miss. The bomb falls to fast and it would slaughter me.

Another annoying thing is if you want to bomb a town you have to fly over it low so they spawn in first. Then they only last so long.