Wolfrug

Dynamic Sound AI - RUG DSAI officially converted for Arma 2!

Hmm.

The check for reloading is this:

if (needReload _x > 0.99 && someAmmo _x)

needReload basically means just that - how much a unit needs to reload. Once it goes above 0.99, the unit is going to reload. The someAmmo check is there to make sure the unit has ammo to reload with. Admittedly not the most failproof way of doing it, but it's non-resource intensive and works for all weapons/muzzles equally.

I have no idea why this would start freaking out - I can't imagine a soundmod would make any difference (CSM2), nor an AI mod (Zeus), so I guess the culprit could be ACE2. If you could determine more specific weapons/situations in which this happens, I could maybe narrow it down. I don't personally use ACE2 so it's a bit hard for me to test. However my guess is the problem lies with someAmmo, and that I'd need to add a more restrictive check to it. :)

Thanks!

Regards,

Wolfrug

I would suggest to remove the reload shout completely. Problem solved. It doesnt break much of the immersion this way and gets rid of this annoying reloading shouts.

This doesn't work for me..?

Is there anything that could be conflicting?

I got the same problem. If my soldiers are out of ammo and i tell them to rearm they are shouting reloading all the time - this is really weird. I would agree to simply remove the RELOADING shout.

I've tried this now and I can't reproduce, sorry. I tried letting them empty their clips, then drop their weapons, then pick them up, then pick up gear from another weapon etc etc. I also tried removing all of their grenades from the M203...nothing. If someone who's experiencing this might post an example mission that I could test (e.g. put down some soldiers in the editor and show me where it occurs - you can lower their ammo using the ammo slider so that it takes less time, or just instruct me what to do) then that'd be wonderful! As far as I can tell (using the latest Arma 2 beta build) at least, there's absolutely no problem with the reloading shout...

Are you using ACE2? This might be the problem, since they tend to have a pretty unorthodox system of ammunition and such which might be messing with the native commands/the AI's perception of when they "need" to reload. Unfortunately I don't know what I can do about that.

@Enad

What do you mean? And yes, if a unit addon for instance doesn't use CBA, DSAI isn't going to work on them. But default units should be fine (once again as long as you don't use a replacement config which adds a non-CBA eventhandler).

Thanks for the feedback though, hope I can hunt down this reloading bug (if I could reproduce it, that is).

Regards,

Wolfrug

We would be happy to hear about the possible ammunition system issue.

If some more details come available :)

Yes this issue comes from the ACE2 ammunition types. Besides this when a unit picks up a riflte with a M203 or GP25 then it will not reload the grenades unitl it switches to fire with the GL. And this could in some mission take ages..

Wolfrug:

Please provide a simple fix to remove the reload shout. This will fix the issue forever. If you are adding some magazines from ACE2 or another mod, then as soon as some new magazines from any mod appear, we have the same problem. Simply provide the removed reloading shout as an option. Or the other way around. Solus has done this for SLX too, the reloadshout is a separate .pbo.

Yes this issue comes from the ACE2 ammunition types. Besides this when a unit picks up a riflte with a M203 or GP25 then it will not reload the grenades unitl it switches to fire with the GL. And this could in some mission take ages..

Thank you! This helped. I figured something was off with this from earlier, but now I've experimentally made it happen. Basically if one muzzle on a weapon "needs reloading" but the unit has already switched to another muzzle (e.g. between the M203 and the regular shooting) then both "needreload" and "someammo" are still fulfilled -> constant 'reloading' shout until either the ammo is entirely removed or the weapon is reloaded. I could imagine the same thing is true of ACE muzzles/ammo.

This, I believe, I can solve fairly easily, although it'll make the script call -slightly- more resource intensive. Basically I'll check for animationState instead, and whenever the 'reloading' animation is played I'll have them shout "reloading!". That means that as long as no custom reloading animations are used, it should be pretty failsafe (and if custom reloading animations are used, we'll just have to do without the shout, which isn't all that bad). :)

So yes, I'll fix this. :) Thanks for the feedback!

Regards,

Wolfrug

Really happy to have helped a little bit. Eagerly awaiting your fix!

And thanks for supporting the DSAI addon over this long time of period.

I still think this is the best DSAI addon availible for ArmA2.

It's so cool to hear the enemy shout and talk some phrases when approaching them stealthily..:)

True ... maybe some day this addon is using sounds relating to the correct faction. Right now CDF is speaking english for example.

Please please please make a British one for the US side :D :D :D

Theres NEEDS to be an update. The reloading bug is the most annoying thing I've ever heard! D: I'm sure others know what I mean!

Hello all,

Gah, sorry, but the idea I had above is a no-go. Unfortunately the "animState" command does NOT return animations happening solely in the "upper body" (e.g. the reloading), unlike in ArmA. This is probably an (unintended?) consequence of the fact that we can now reload while on the move. Anyway, I guess I'll have to figure out an alternative way to deal with multiple muzzles - maybe just turn it off entirely if the weapon has more than one muzzle...or something. Sigh.

@Wire & Legislator: If some Czech/British people want to get together to make a voice pack, be sure to let me know and I'll help them as much as I can. I'm neither Czech nor British, so I can't really do it myself. There're good instructions on the BIKI page how to do your own pack anyway, so they don't really even need me :)

Sorry for this bug. Ugh. I'll see about a fix.

Regards,

Wolfrug

Hi guys!

I really want to use this very nice addon for our server. Is there anybody who knows how to fix the offered key to make this addon mp compatible? The key from page 1 don´t work...

Edited by MadMike[Brig2010]

Hi just wondering where you guys got the Russian voice from, is it unused samples from the game or are the samples from other media sources ? Cheers. I've been looking for this mod for a while.

Thanks.

@Wolfrug

As now since the latest betas, the reloading shout is included in the game itself, can you please remove the reload shout from RUG_DSAI please?

Hi just wondering where you guys got the Russian voice from, is it unused samples from the game or are the samples from other media sources ? Cheers. I've been looking for this mod for a while.

Thanks.

Hey,

They're from various places, a large batch of them reused from the old OFP-era DSAI addon, as well as Cameron McDonald's DSAI-addon-addon, who himself got it from various sources. Unfortunately not unused samples from the game, no. ;)

@Kroky

Finally! Awesome, that solves my problem then doesn't it :D I've been pulling my hair for ages over it, but I just can't figure out a resource non-intensive way of fixing the damned reloading bug.

@MadMike

I really don't know much about MP scripting, and this addon wasn't designed in the beginning for use in MP -- but are you sure the server key doesn't work, since that's the same key I used to sign these addons (the bisigning etc hasn't changed since ArmA, so it's the same key as I used for the ArmA version). No-one had a problem with it (AFAIK) in ArmA...

Regards,

Wolfrug

@Wolfrug

As you can see in Post #20 i am not the only one with this problem. If i put the key on the server and try to connect he still kicks me off - so maybe after changing the RUG_DSAIArab.pbo the file was forgotton to sign? I don´t know. But still i want to use it on our server but with the offered key it isn´t possible.

Fix for reloading bug now posted, get it on the front page or here:

Fix for reload bug (only updates RUG_DSAI.pbo)

Just replace RUG_DSAI.pbo & the bikey with the new version, and you should be set :)

I have also updated the FileFront mirror to contain (both) the quickfixes. I have also re-signed all of the addons, including the unused language ones, so maybe that will fix your problem Mike? If not, let me know - I'm probably messing something up, I'm just not sure what!

The reload bug fix is simply a check to see if the weapon has more than one muzzle, and if so, skip the reloading sound. That should fix about 99% of the times the bug occurs, but I suppose there are still loopholes (it bugs out when teamswitching for instance because your teammate, when switched out of, doesn't always understand to reload the gun you just left empty. But this I file under 'AI bug' rather than anything else). Anyway, let me know how it works out.

Regards,

Wolfrug

Edited by Wolfrug

First: Thanks for working on this great addon again. I was so happy reading your post today - but unfortunately the signing is wrong again.

arma22010051713044480.jpg

Maybe you find out what was going wrong.

thanks for the update Wolfrug, will try the new version asap.

is it somehow possible to use only the combat related sounds? Some of the others break immersion in stealth missions. thx in advance