Sign in to follow this  
33BO11OF00

Viewdistance problem

This problem is in OFP. I don't and I won't own ARMA/ARMA2. OFP forever!

Help. What is wrong in my game: I mean in certain self made missions the visibility is dramatically increased. Like in one mission I usually see enemy in 800 meters. Now I can see it over 1000 meters? What happened.

I notified this in OFP start menu:

In Options tab is a Visuals or Graphics tab and in there is a slider called visibility. What it does exactly? I mean when I "adjusted" it these strange visibility effects started to happen. How to reduce visibility in 800 meters in own made missions?

Edited by Rellikki
Edited thread title to more appropriate

The "visibility" bar in the video options of OFP correspond to what is called the "view distance".

The higher you increase it, the further you will see, but in the same time too high value can break some existing missions like the BIS campaigns (that were built with a maximum view distance of 900 if i remember well) relying on some "detected by" triggers, as the AI may be able to detect something it should not have.

Additionally, the higher is the view distance, the more ressource are used by your system, resulting in a drop in framerate.

In a mission, you can force a view distance for the player by using the setviewdistance command either :

-in the init.sqs of your mission

-in the init line of a soldier/vehicle/object/game logic present at the mission start

-in a trigger that would start as soon as the mission start

So if the visibility is increased it also affects to AI? Geez. How do I set it back to normal range? Thanks Sanctuary. You again. Awesome work.

One question more: What is that init.sqs?

Thanks for the info.

That other question was: How do I set that normal range back? What is a normal range in OFP anyhow?

---------- Post added at 01:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 AM ----------

Help. Please answer my question in post #5.

Just slide the visibility slider to 900 in the options (default value) and it should overwrite the preset value in the mission you're playing.

Usual view distance setting is between 800 and 1200. It is set under video options in the "ingame" options menu.

flashpointresistance200.jpg

When making a mission you can use the settings in the editor also. The lower slider in both the weather and the forcast boxes controls view distance. The weather section is for mission start, if you want the weathter or view distance to change as the mission progresses you set that in the forcast box.

flashpointresistance200.jpg

By the way: This visibility slider can be used to wacky results in the game.

---------- Post added at 01:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 AM ----------

Thanks Zulu1. Awesome help there!

Believe it or not I can max out my view distance to 5000 and play the battlefields mission without horrible lag. I can see almost across the entire Everon Island, but this spoils the intent of the mission and does not play as it should.

Response to Zulu1 post #9:

Whoa ... :eek::eek: . That really shows how effective modern computers are. Just... I'm out of words here...