Sign in to follow this  
bushlurker

The (un)Official Freetrack Users Q&A Thread

Since BIS have surprised and delighted us all with the addition of full Freetrack support in the recent beta (pause for prolonged applause) I thought it might be a good idea to start a General Freetrack Thread, where people can share ideas and knowledge about using Freetrack, specifically with Arma2.

Hopefully, others will do the same, and newcomers will be able to find out all they need to know here...

So - Thanks once again BIS, on behalf of the whole Arma2 Freetrack Users Community!... and I'll start things off with a brief look at my own Freetrack kit and how easy it was to put together...

OK - I'm assuming firstly that everyone knows basically how headtracking works - there's essentially two options - active or passive tracking...

With Active tracking you wear a clip of some kind with the requisite 3 "spots" being provided by LED's (usually but not necessarily infrared) - that means powering the LED's, that means a battery or a cable somewhere along the line.

With Passive tracking, instead of LED's on your headset throwing light at the camera, the camera throws light at you - all you need is 3 "spots" that will bounce that light back... No lights, no wires, no batteries, no cables, no fuss...

Freetrack can do either - so can TrackIR, almost...

Naturalpoint market a nice hatclip which is perfect for passive tracking, (though you could make one yourself with an old DVD box and a pair of scissors), but you need to wear a hat, obviously...

I've got a nice lightweight headset I use, but didn't want a hat, so I wanted a sideclip - like Naturalpoints trackclip - but smaller, lighter, with passive reflectors, because one cable is quite enough to be dragging around - they don't make one (maybe they should, cause as far as I know, nobody does) (do I get a commission for the idea?), so that's where Freetrack and a little "DIY" comes in...

Here's my setup...

comp.jpg

The important bits to notice are the webcam (top right), and note how it's offset from centre, to match the headclip (bottom left), which is worn on the right side... The Cam goes in front of the CLIP, not the wearer...

Also notice the clip happily reflecting really well... MUCH more than anything else... that's good...

But first, the camera...

With Freetrack you can use a fairly wide variety of cameras - almost any webcam you can get some sort of control over exposure on will probably work... however, the framerate may not be great...

This isn't quite as important as it is for actual Arma2 itself, but the same rule basically applies - more is better... This is where the newest (and most expensive) TrackIR scores well, and a smooth ride is usually guaranteed.

Apparently you can use a Wii controller as a cam with freetrack - I dunno anything about that at all, but I'm told you can get awesome tracking framerates... So if you have one you're already sorted...

A stable 30FPS with virtually zero jitter is smooth enough for me so lets take a look at my cam...

Its the A4tech PK333MB - a mere £15.51 currently (with free postage) at Amazon UK

It's a "nightvision" cam, which means that it has 6 x Infrared LED's ready to throw invisible light in large quantities as soon as it gets a bit of sticky tape over it's daylight sensor (only during gaming - the rest of the time it can be a normal webcam)...

Theres a lot of discussion on the Freetrack forums about fitting visible lightproof covers, removing built-in IR filters,etc from webcams - I couldn't get mine open so I just used it straight out of the box - it works fine, and doesnt seem to pick up much, if any background extras at all...

Someone asked me about this cam before, and I made (my first ever) deeply cheezy little video to show it working in broad daylight near a window with the 4 x 50W overhead lights on and still show nothing but the 3 reflective spots... here it is (no laughing)...

th_quicktest01.jpg

Surprisingly good for a totally unmodified camera - with it's "IR filter" still in place...

You can see from the cam view in Freetrack (the big black square) that the camera couldn't see me at all, or anything else in the room - but the 3 reflectors on the clip showed up loud an clear...

OK... so that was the camera, what about the clip?

Well, firstly I had a good look at the Freetrack Forums where I saw all sorts of exotic headgear, and also found the standard proportions for a clip (which I reduced by 20%)...

Here's a closer pic...

trackclip.jpg

And here's a closeup of the "clip" part...

Cableclip.jpg

The "legs" are the legs from an old pair of sunglasses, the "clip" is a cheap cableclip for sticking round the back of hi-fi's and stuff - it came in a big pack for £1, all different sizes - that one fitted the side of my headphones nicely... I used 2, one as it was and the other I cut just the flat base part off - a spldge of glue and sandwiched the glasses legs between them - clamped the whole thing with a pair of pliers and left it to dry...

The "reflector balls" are three lightweight cheap plastic beads from an old necklace, roughly covered with a bit of that dull but unbelievably reflective silvery-grey tape you find on cheap safety vests...(poundshop again for them)...

There's a wide variety of other hyper-reflective materials you could try...

In fact, Naturalpoint used to sell "reflective dots" back in the day when 3 sticky spots on a baseball cap WAS TrackIR! (we all gotta start somewhere, huh?)

They still sell them I think, though for my next clip I'll probably look at something more impressive made by 3M.

I just happened to have all these bits to hand, you could use almost anything (Telejunky from Arma2base.de has a Freetrack hatclip made out of LEGO! :D)... the first version I made I glued and pressed the "legs" between two small coins...

The bottom line is - three reflective dots in the required proportions - the only other limit is your imagination...

B

PS - A few people seem to be having trouble getting freetrack to work... worked first time for me...

I'll repeat the procedure below...

*Download and install latest beta - make sure your launcher is set to launch the beta .exe file, with the beta folder as the first modfolder in line - a standard beta setup, in other words...

*Go to Freetrack install folder - look for FreeTrackClient.dll - it's part of Freetrack - it WILL be there... if it isn't, try installing the latest freetrack version and make sure you have "view hidden files" enabled in windows

*Copy FreeTrackClient.dll file to the arma2/beta folder

(I was just guessing that the requisite code is in the .exe, it'll be expecting it's associated .dll in the same directory)

Run Freetrack - go to the "Output" tab - make sure "FreeTrack Interface" is ticked, and "TrackIR Interface" is not - get Freetrack tracking and ready to go...

*Launch Arma2 - with beta

"Go to Options/Controls/Controller - make sure "missing string STR_Freetrack" (slight glitch there??) is visible and enabled...

*Go to editor, place a player unit and hit "preview"

Working fine - supersensitive... I'll have to tweak my Freetrack profile a lot...

Edited by Bushlurker

Nice, thanks for the explanation. Looks very good.

Hi, thx for the post. Im experimenting a bit with an old TV remote to see if I can get my crappy webcam to track it :P But it only seems to work when its completely dark here. And my cam also cannot disable auto exposure it seems.

So im interested in your webcam, ill have a look for Dutch shops that offer it.

Making the clip looks easy but I have to find some reflective stuff, and I saw that freetrack allows for custom offsets of the dots, does that work?

Edit: ordered the A4tech PK333MB, hope its as good as you describe :P I need a good webcam anyway, so if I can use it without modifying it would be suberb.

Edited by rundll.exe

Very nice post, thanks :) So basically the cost of this whole setup was just the webcam? Aaand.. do you have any experience with single point tracking ? I'd probably want to start with just a simple small reflector attached to my mic or somewhere else its not going to be noticed. The main "downside" for me is the need for a large thing stuck to my head.

So I tested with a TV remote strapped to my head (LOL) and it worked! my webcam cant handle more then 7 fps unfortunately, so I have to wait for my new one to be smooth, but it worked quite well already.

Thx BIS for putting this in for poor students!

Hi again guys!

Well, since I opened a "Q&A" thread I guess I'd better try to answer a few... glad the post has been inspirational to a few people - that was it's entire purpose...

Ok - Firstly - if you want smooth, generally hassle-free headtracking, you ain't short of a few bucks and/or you hesitate to strap the nearest TV remote to your head - go check out TrackIR... Back in the early days when they too were largely passive-tracking-based their cams often went into meltdown (all those LED's and not enough heatsink)... those days are gone now (so I'm told), and trackIR kit is pretty impressive (though personally I think the trackclip is bulky and fragile), and they're noticably cheaper than they used to be (still awful expensive really, though...)

Though it may come as a surprise to some people, I've never been "against" Naturalpoint or trackIR as such - just some of their marketing, but we'll drop that topic like a hot rock for good right here and now! - they ARE the Pros in this market, and if you're rich, and want a professional, one-stop, plug an play solution look no further... However, if you're the "I can do it myself, goddammit!" type, or you're permanently poor - like the students who share my house, or you just think you can do it BETTER, then with Freetrack you can substitute cunning for cash... And now - thanks to BIS - you have the Freedom to Choose...

Why bother about headtracking at all?

It's quite hard to describe the point of headtracking to people who haven't tried it yet... I gave up, and just started parking people in front of the comp to try it with virtually no introduction... it generally goes something like this...

"Woah... jeez... I'll never get used to controlling this - I'm not necessarily looking in the same direction my gun is pointing... It's all over the place... I'M all over the place.... no waaay!"

"Oh - no - I don't really like this - I'll never be able to control....."

"Oh s***! - there's some bad guys... quick..."

(5 minute firefight here)

"(having survived)... hehehe - did you see that guy come around that corner there - I just totally noticed him out of the corner of my eye, and I turned and..."

(ME) - - So how you getting on with the headtracking then? - -

"What headtrack... oh yeaaaah! - Actually I'd totally forgotten about trying to control that! its amaaaaaaazing! you just sort of forget about it and look about like you would anyway!"

(ME) - - Right - back to your own computer now!

"Could I just borrow...?"

(ME) - - No...

"But it's just not as REAL without it..."

(ME) - - Build your own...

The point being - it's like turning your head and looking about you in Real Life - it's not a joystick - it's not something you control - you just... do it... and after a very short time - you forget it's there...

So I tested with a TV remote strapped to my head (LOL) and it worked! my webcam cant handle more then 7 fps unfortunately

It'll track almost ANYTHING... torches, remotes, the little LED lights you get in disposable lighters, the 3 x LED bicycle lights you see in poundshops, the end of your cigarette (try to avoid that one)... You could set the cat on fire and wave it around and Freetrack will track it... Getting it precise and clean with no stray additional reflections is a little trickier...

There's a FaceAPI currently in development which will do away with the need for headgear at all and, as an added bonus will read your expression! (assign "smiling" to the "launch hellfires" key for example??? hehehe)...

I'm just waiting for someone to merge this with Freetrack...

So basically the cost of this whole setup was just the webcam?

Yes (plus, if you decide on the Active LED style - add another buck for 3 x IR LED's - and your choice of webcam gets considerably wider).)

do you have any experience with single point tracking ? I'd probably want to start with just a simple small reflector attached to my mic or somewhere else its not going to be noticed.

Single point WILL work, but it's not very smooth or accurate... Three isn't that much more of a hassle and will give much smoother results...

I've even tried 3 tiny reflecting spots mounted on my glasses! - that worked too, but the tracking code really prefers the 3 spots to be at different "Depths of Field" so it can get a better "3D Awareness" of where your head actually is...

The whole point of my "nanoclip" and the passive tracking was to minimise crap attached to my head - I wear the lightweight headset anyway, so I wanted something small (10cmx8cm), light (12g) and hassle free (no batteries or cables) that would attach to that so I could just forget it was there...

it only seems to work when its completely dark here. And my cam also cannot disable auto exposure it seems.

Theres a "compatible webcams list" somewhere on the Freetrack site (possibly a little out of date - hopefully users will post their cams and clip designs here and we'll get an idea of what works well and what doesnt with Arma2)... It DOES rely heavily on tweaking exposure settings so only the tracking dots get picked up - so you DO need some sort of control over that... I'll post my settings later...

Making the clip looks easy but I have to find some reflective stuff, and I saw that freetrack allows for custom offsets of the dots, does that work?

It WAS easy! But I'm sure there are even easier ways... Yes - custom offsets will work within reason - part of the setup process for Freetrack is inputting the type and exact proportions of your hat or sideclip - plus there's additional parameters where you can specify exactly where your "dot arrangement" is situated in relation to your head "pivot point" - get all of those measurements correct, enter them and save the profile...

I'll also see if I can scan my original template drawing and post that later too...

ordered the A4tech PK333MB, hope its as good as you describe :P I need a good webcam anyway, so if I can use it without modifying it would be suberb.

It's NOT a brilliant webcam, to be honest - but for 15 bucks who's complaining! (I could burn out 5 and still be cheaper than a trackIR - though I haven't heard of ANY temperature problems with these cams so far)... I rarely use it as a regular webcam, but it does work fine (unlike a comparable trackIR cam) - I didn't bother to modify it at all... I was going to... there's even step by step photo instructions for my exact cam on the Freetrack website showing you how to remove the built-in IR filter... I couldn't get the goddamned tiny screws loose and just gave up and tried it anyway... it worked perfectly after a bit of exposure tweaking, so I abandoned the modification idea... Maybe I just lucked out with this particular cam/reflective tracking combo and it IS usually necessary to modify cams... I dunno...

I suspect all that fuss may be more important for active tracking...

The A4tech gets me a solid, never-varies 29FPS with a jitter of 2 or less - that's not in the same league as Wii remotes or the best trackIR, but I've found it to be good enough...

I should say a quick few words about that while I'm here....

Active tracking (wearing actively powered LED's - somehow, in some arrangement or other, on your head) - WILL give the best results generally...

Passive tracking requires a little juggling to get right - you need to be within range of the cams "floodlights", watch out for other heavily reflective things within range like your glasses if you wear them...

However - from a purely hassle-free, no wires, ultra-lightweight system, I've found passive tracking to be the way to go... it IS an opinion though - and there are many other approaches...

I'm kinda hoping a few of the other Freetrack users will contribute to this thread, though - as Arrowhead famously said "We are not a Hive Mind" so we'll have to wait and see...

Meantime, I encourage anybody interested to have a look at the Freetrack site - bearing in mind that everything you see is just other peoples interpretations and inventions - you don't have to copy them - as long as you stick to the basic principles you can try anything.. All it costs is time...

A "Freetrack" search on YouTube will produce quite a few demos and even LED clip construction guides... well worth a look...

I actually started on the entire Freetrack idea because of

- I went straight out and bought the same camera (though this guy wears a hat, and also is doing a complicated multicomputer networking thing using "GlovePIE" - ignore all that aspect totally! - it's NOT necessary for our purposes... good video though..

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Another question, how does this work in the dark? When the only light source is your screen?

MehMan, most people use IR lights as the light source, and IR is not visable to the human eye. the systems i have built and what many users report on their own are that the system will actually work better when its completely dark because then there is no chance of any ambient light being picked up by the webcam.

if the camera you use with free-track has a powerful IR Filter and you do not remove it there is a chance that other light sources in your room will be picked up. simply removing this filter usually does the trick. to be 99% sure that i never have an excess light source picked up by the camera i use an IR filter that blocks all but the IR spectrum (the magnetic-tape inside a 3.5" floppy is a great IR filter).

This is what the webcam sees with the sun shining off a white wall 8 feet away:

Daytime-noclip.jpg

This is with my clip on under the same light conditions above:

Daytime.jpg

this is with the blinds shut, and a heavy quilt over the windows:

Darktime.jpg

as you can see, only the IR led's are visable.

my clip is a piece of picture wire with 3 IR LED's, using a 'twisted pair' from a cat-5e network cable. (approx 24 AWG?). it is not noticeable on a set of Sennheiser HD454's or Audio Technica AD700's. the LED's are USB powered and the wire runs down next to the headphone wire. I have also had a similar setup using a baseball cap.

Edited by frag85

Another question, how does this work in the dark? When the only light source is your screen?

I have no idea... the reflective tracking idea obviously needs to reflect something... I dunno if the light off your screen would be enough... ordinary light doesn't seem to "excite" most of these reflective materials in the same way IR does...

If you're wearing LED's of course, then you're literally projecting your own light (see frag85's pic's above - that's EXACTLY what you want to achieve... dark room or light room = irrelevant - the cam sees the dots and nothing else)...

Another small point I forgot to mention earlier... You'll see quite a few different "nightvision" cams on the market - if you're thinking of buying one, make sure the built-in illumination IS proper IR LED's - NOT ordinary white visible light ones - quite a lot of cams just have them...

Tracking would still work I guess, but the last thing you want is a monitor-mounted floodlight blasting you in the face when you're trying to bag Ruskies at 500 paces... :)

As you can just about make out from my cheezy vid above - all you actually see with my cam is a slight pink glow when the LED lighting is full on - it's not dazzling or anything, it isn't even visible to me... However, the camera, with it's exposure cranked to minimum, isn't seeing visible light at all - but the IR light hitting that clever reflective stuff makes it light up like little fireballs in the "dark"...

Watch out for cams with VISIBLE light LED's pretending to be IR "nightvision" cams!

(see the second pic in this post... you DON'T want a visible light LED barrage like that! you shouldn't be able to see any light at all!)

B

Edited by Bushlurker

First of all, thank you Bushlurker for making this thread, I was thinking of doing something similar. I don't share your opinion on NP, no monopolies are good without proper regulation, but that's another discussion.

Now helping future trackers:

You can find allot of tracking systems in this thread at freetrack forums:

http://forum.free-track.net/index.php?showtopic=466

(@MehMan: If you look at the first page, you have one using reflective tape and a light source.)

And here you can find a simple system (very similar to mine) using LED's:

http://forum.free-track.net/index.php?showtopic=1856

For those that don't have a soldering iron, you can just use this instead:

wireglue.jpg

PS: I'll put my headtraking setup here when I've time.

Hi Jorge!

Forget NP - its over - done - irrelevant... don't start me on the Basil Fawlty "don't mention the war" quotes... :)

Look forward to seeing more details of your IR-style LED tracking - I've been trying to keep making the point that my reflective style of tracking is only one approach amongst many... I have very little experience of the LED's approach, so someone describing a totally different style would be really great!

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Has anybody made a side by side comparison of FT and TIP? I mean, I can see how FT is tempting, but I can also see why TIP is tempting. While FT is the cheap solution, you see why it's the cheap solution. It can be a bit jerky apparently. And not as smooth as TIP. For some it seems to work just fine, but for some it works like dog shit.

Has anybody made a side by side comparison of FT and TIP?
TrackIR 3:

Head Position Tracked : 2 oder 6

Horizontal Field of View : 33°

Sample Rate (FPS) : 80

Raw Sensor Resolution : 355x288

TrackIR 4:

Head Position Tracked : 6 Axes (6 DOF)

Horizontal Field of View : 46°

Sample Rate (FPS) : 120

Raw Sensor Resolution : 355 x 288 *

* Subsampled up to 710 x 288 (TrackIR 4 PRO)

TrackIR 5:

Head Position Tracked : 6 Axes (6 DOF)

Horizontal Field of View : 51.7°

Sample Rate (FPS) : 120

Raw Sensor Resolution : 640 x 480

WiiMote:

Head Position Tracked : 2 - 6 Axes (6DOF)

Horizontal Field of View : 42.6°

Sample Rate (FPS) : 100

Raw Sensor Resolution : 352x288 bis 1024x768

Quick copy from german forum thread about TIR.

Will put links to recommended bluetooth dongles and stacks into this post once i´m not playing A2 at the same time :D

There's a FaceAPI currently in development which will do away with the need for headgear at all and, as an added bonus will read your expression! (assign "smiling" to the "launch hellfires" key for example??? hehehe)...

I'm just waiting for someone to merge this with Freetrack...

What about ingame? Vote here, thanks. Ther are also links to faceapi2ppjoy.

In response to how does Freetrack compare with TrackIR, Freetrack outputs the FPS at 120, exactly the same as TrackIR. The sample FPS all depends on the webcam that you use. I use a Microsoft VX1000 webcam, and it's sample FPS is 30FPS at 320x240. This webcam is PERFECT for Freetrack. I spent $20 on the VX1000 webcam from FRYs electronics, and $7 at Radio Shack for 3, high output, Infrared LEDs (part # 276-143). You can also use a Wii remote as well, the sample FPS on the Wii remote is 120FPS. I will post up some pictures of my freetrack setup, as well as the dimensions I used, a little bit later. My Freetrack setup is a 3-point ballcap, that just clips onto the bill of my hat, and the IR LEDs extend from the front. I am glad that I didn't spend upwards of $200 for a TrackIR setup, when I built one for much less. The satisfaction of building it, and seeing it track your head movement for the first time is amazing :)

Thank you so much BIS for adding Freetrack support to this game!!!

Has anybody made a side by side comparison of FT and TIP?

Anyone planning on throwing up a YouTube vid of this in action? Seeing number comparisons is all good and all, but it really just comes down to how it plays.

The best results you will in theory get with the PS3 Eye... 150fps baby... :yay:

Here is a post i made over in the Freetrack Forums some time ago:

http://forum.free-track.net/index.php?showtopic=1779

Short summary of advantages over the current most popular device, the Wii Mote:

- Cable connected (no blue-tooth lag!) with USB2

- Energy comes also over USB2

- Own Standfeet

- Extremely sensitive to IR when IR-Filter removed.

I have not yet tried it out, anybody has this Ps3 Eye and dares to try it with alex popovitchs drivers?

Anyone planning on throwing up a YouTube vid of this in action? Seeing number comparisons is all good and all, but it really just comes down to how it plays.

Indeed, that's what I want to see! The biggest problem to overcome is the FPS, which is shit for most webcams, because they're not built for this purpose. But the PS3 eye and wiimote, which cost almost the same, could be suitable replacements. one would need side by side comparison of a webcam vs the wiimote vs ps3 eye vs TIR 5. Well, webcam vs wiimote/ps3 might be very good, webcam vs TIR5 is an obvious win for tir5, but Ps3 vs TIR5 might be interesting. The other thing that one can see instantly see is the higher res TIR5 offers, which along with higher capture FPS can make the whole thing smoother. Can the PS3 eye be made to capture at higher res?

Edited by MehMan

Indeed, that's what I want to see! The biggest problem to overcome is the FPS, which is shit for most webcams, because they're not built for this purpose. But the PS3 eye and wiimote, which cost almost the same, could be suitable replacements. one would need side by side comparison of a webcam vs the wiimote vs ps3 eye vs TIR 5. Well, webcam vs wiimote/ps3 might be very tell, webcam vs TIR5 is an obvious win for tir5, but Ps3 vs TIR5 might be interesting. The other thing that one can see instantly see is the higher res TIR5 offers, which along with higher capture FPS can make the whole thing smoother. Can the PS3 eye be made to capture at higher res?

That is quite correct.

Almost a half year ago (prior to A2 release), as we started the "Freetrack-cry" here in this forums, I had a interesting talk with a guy over at Youtube, who was showing some freetrack videos with the wiimote...

What he was saying to me was, that the Wiimote could be in his opinion the best capturing device for Freetrack, IF it would be connected via cable and not over bluetooth.

He said that sometimes there is a small but noticeable lag upon beginning of a movement which is worse than with any cable connected 30FPS camera - but once in movement it is perfectly smooth = smoother than with a normal 30fps webcam, due to its higher FPS.

Here is the table with what Alex P. could realize via his drivers on the PS3 Eye:

[list]
[*][b] 320×240 @ 15fps [/b]
[*][b] 320×240 @ 30fps [/b]
[*][b] 320×240 @ 60fps [/b]
[*][b] 320×240 @ 75fps [/b]
[*][b] 320×240 @ 100fps [/b]
[*][b] 320×240 @ 125fps [/b]
[*][b] 320×240 @ 150fps (experimental) [/b]
[*][b] 640×480 @ 30fps [/b]
[*][b] 640×480 @ 40fps [/b]
[*][b] 640×480 @ 50fps [/b]
[*][b] 640×480 @ 60fps [/b]
[*][b] 640×480 @ 75fps (experimental)[/b]
[/list]

The PS3 Eye has, IIRC the widest Angle, highest general FPS, highest FPS at highest resolutions, most sensitiveness to IR-Light of any available "webcam" and has no Lag as its fully cable connected.

Disadvantage: It can only capture in Color-Mode :mad::mad: :o

So that means no IR capture?

Of course you can, but when a camera still captures in color mode, it could mean more distortion to the signal afaik....Its just the icing on the cake thats missing :p

Black/White is always the best performing mode for capturing with IR.

But in order to have full IR-sensitiveness, you have to do this (2 parts!):

7jJfuP7YgPA

CbMqsrm2TTs

Hmm, very interesting. I'm tempted to go out and buy one, but it's already in a price range where it's becoming a sizeable ammount of money just to try. The other solution that's good, the wiimote is on bluetooth and is thus shit.

So the only tested and sure solution is a webcam? I say, i'll have to give it a go. Might even go nuts and try the PS3 eye.