This addon does a few things to the map:
- Removes satellite texture from any zoom level.
- Changes the color of the contour lines and hill numbers to make them more readable.
- Made forests more washed out and slightly dimmed the background color to be easier on the eyes.
- Adds in a ruler that you can draw on the screen.
- Adds in a compass that you can more easily use to align the above ruler.
- Adds in basic tools to draw lines.
These features do a few things. First off they allow easier reading of the map at close zoom, including determining the rise and fall of the land. It is now easier to also determine altitude, before the satellite texture would obscure the hill numbers and a lot of the contour lines would be lost in the textures as well. The forests could also obscure the contour lines so they have been made a little more washed out to provide better readability. The ruler tools allow you to do a number of LANDNAV type things, including the most important, resection. This was possible before but a bit more painful. Combining the ruler, compass and line drawing tools you can more easily triangulate your position. I also use the ruler and compass to plot polar fire missions as well as guage distance to targets while doing forward observation.
To use the tools:
- Hold the H key down and click on the map. A red dot will appear. This is the origin of the ruler.
- Hold the J key down and click at an angle off of the red dot. A ruler will be drawn stretching in that angle.
- The 0 point shows the angle in degrees and both Mil 6400 and Mil 6000.
- To redraw the compass you move it by using the H key again, repeating steps 1 and 2.
- To just redraw at another angle use the J key and click again someplace else and it will draw at that angle.
- There is no way to completely clear the compass, just repeat step 1 to place the origin point out of the way.
- Hold the K key and click.
- The inner compass rose is in in degrees, the outer one is in Mil 6400
- To clear the compass hold L and click on the map.
- Hold the [ key and click. A black dot will appear. This is the start of your line.
- To change color, do not move the mouse and click again, each successive click will switch colors, clicking to fast will place a marker.
- To complete the line hold the ] key and click where you want to end it.
- To clear a line hold the \ key and click on the map, it will continue to delete lines from the newest to the oldest.
If you have any problems with this, mainly the clicks not responding, make sure the map is in focus by clicking around a few times in it.
- A non game affecting error will occur if you reverse steps 1 and 2 from the ruler script. Same goes for if you do step 2 before 1 the first time you do a line. This is only visible if you have errors turned on in the game.
- Key event handlers are not international specific, I do not know anyone that can help me test those very well, but I have had a Dutch and Polish player use them with out issue.
- The event handlers themselves, probably could be done a different way. They might interfer with other map addons in the future.
- Zedic from the 7th Cav for doing the LANDNAV course and showing me how to actually use the ArmA2 contour lines and showing that yes, it sucks reading them as it is.
- Desdinova, also from the 7th Cav for beta testing for me.
- Everyone in my Field Artillery Platoon who helped me test the ruler and compass script over the past couple of months. You guys rock.
Map Plus v1.0 (Please Mirror)
Install as any other addon.