Sign in to follow this  
ZeosPantera

Secondary Monitor as Map

UPDATED 042610: I would like to set a secondary monitor to be full time map. Using the GPS works for most events but driving a tank and coordinating with friends and AI is inefficient with it or switching the map on to give directions.

p1105091710s3.jpg

This feature could be configured per server. The map could follow you as it is in the GPS, or not follow you unless in a vehicle such as a plane or tank. It should be assignable to be either a fully dynamic map with squad/vehicle positions or have limited info to the point of not showing yourself. A key would be assigned (most likely the M key) that when pressed would allow you access to that screen and the controls for zoom and panning with a cursor. Placing the AI controls on the secondary screen would also clear up some screen real estate for the main monitor. A new idea is the use of a Wacom touch tablet screen to move, draw on the map (similar to football replays) for your squad to see and touch screen AI controls.

Perhaps a server client module that could display the map on a laptop or tablet could be used.

Arguments have been made that you would be at an advantage looking at your map this way. I think taking your eyes off your main screen to look over a map is more realistic then completely removing your view of the world and replacing it with a map.

Edited by ZeosPantera

I completely support the idea of having dual monitor/dedicated map screen support.

Really great idea! It would allow for ARMA players to utilize their hardware for maximum game play experience.

+1

So... Aparently you can run in the fields, with combat gear and read a map with no problems whatsoever.

(You are suggesting that people with two monitors would be given clear advantage over the guys with just one monitor.)

Hell, we have a guys on this forum that use triple monitor display to see even sideviews :D

v2_FeaturedStory_ArmA.jpg

So... Aparently you can run in the fields, with combat gear and read a map with no problems whatsoever.

(You are suggesting that people with two monitors would be given clear advantage over the guys with just one monitor.)

Are you suggesting that people with triple head displays that can see 180 degrees around them don't have an advantage?

http://web.aanet.com.au/vladdo/arma2.jpg

Having a better video card then your opponent also gives an advantage.

Bigger screen

Better Headphones

More Accurate Mouse

TrackIR headset

This isn't a console game. Use all the advantages in hardware you can. Dual monitors are the only configuration that doesn't make sense. Unless you can look more in one direction then somewhere else. And running through a field with my sniper rifle and ghillie suit I currently somehow keep my GPS glued to my face.

Edited by ZeosPantera

I'm all for it, but it seems this concept comes up with each BI release. If I recall, there was some sort of limitaion on the engine that prevented it.

In aircraft and vehicles, a seperate moving map screen makes total sense (because in aircraft and vehicles they actually do have such screens).

His key point is that you cannot charge around the battlefield with a map always fully unfolded and available for instant review hence you are forced to stop and crouch when reading your map. Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be.

what if you had one screen for game and another for objectives and chat thats not a big advantage

I don't use two monitors so I'm not too sure you can do this, but couldn't you just load up the game in one of the monitors and have the other one looking over a .jpg in an image viewer?

I don't use two monitors so I'm not too sure you can do this, but couldn't you just load up the game in one of the monitors and have the other one looking over a .jpg in an image viewer?

not looking for a static map. For planning and tactics a live dynamic map for planning assaults, etc etc. Kind of like we have right now just less intrusive.

His key point is that you cannot charge around the battlefield with a map always fully unfolded and available for instant review hence you are forced to stop and crouch when reading your map. Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be.

AI also shouldn't forget how to drive. Spacebar shouldn't show your enemies name/class/distance and there should be no menu's or Gui and once you die in the game the whole thing should un-install to simulate death.

Consider the insane situational awareness on a extended map info enabled server. Realtime update on all known enemy activity while you're shooting, without even having to pause to look on the map? Sorry for the obvious, but... No way.

Completely agree with Defunkt in "Just because something can be done doesn't mean it should be."

Spacebar scanning can be disabled by mission design. Domination already have this option built in, but not enabled by default. Or server could choose to run without some of the difficulty setting (unsure which), that would also take away spacebar scanning. It's still nice to have in singleplayer, where you can't really communicate with your AI.

For triplehead displays, I think it would be nice if you could set a server to enforce singlehead for the clients. For coop, nobody could care less about the advantage. Nobody is playing for points anyway. For competitive gaming especially (not necessarily all kinds of PvP by default, as many are just played for fun anyway), it could be wise to prevent such a large advantage. Maybe even a max resolution setting, or would this be stretching it? :)

Edited by CarlGustaffa

I would love a piece of software/mod that runs the map on another PC via your network. I could imagine it is do-able. Other simulation games take all of your telemetry data and turn that into working gauges/displays in real time on another pc.

Imagine having your netbook next to you with a functioning, more detailed map.

Arma isnt a popular enough game to start restricting every aspect of it for balance reasons. You want features out the azz to attract hard core technolustians.

Forced Max res/ no triplehead? I don't think that is going to fly well with the people spending the extra $500-900 dollars to get the triple-head going with arma in the first place.

If you think about it you will still need to take your eyes off your main screen to stare at a map. I imagine out of the corner of your eye you may see someone moving in front of you and look back.

WHICH IS REALISTIC.

What is not realistic is while in the middle of a battle opening your map and COMPLETELY COVERING YOUR EYES!@!!!

[funny]

book_on_face.jpg

"OK, I see a road north of Chernogorsk, let's take that and look for those BMP's we saw from the air..?"

Does that look realistic to you? [/funny]

In case anyone is wondering.. Here is how the military look at a map. http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1364969760038186508TIrZEx

Edited by ZeosPantera

You mean, like not everyone having one? Yes, that would be popular :D It can be done now in Arma2, and I did it in Arma1 using ACE. Added a lot of realism, but wasn't too popular in my group. Oh, and btw, those guys doesn't appear to be in the middle of battle ;)

Those that spend that much money on extra monitors and gfx card equipment to get it running, are probably hard core enough to value the fairness of being able to restrict it. In a hard core competitive PvP environment, with high value prices etc. Not casual servers for everyday and everyone use. I don't even know if such tournaments exist for Arma. I'm talking competitive in the way of being a profession, like, earning money for your wins. Then again, you might be doing such events on presetup hardware. So, I don't know. Just a loose thought on my end I guess.

As for maps, I wouldn't mind a smaller tactical map of the surroundings, being brought up on part of the screen while you crouch and have a look. Like, folded, but unzoomable and unpannable, and not possible to make markers. And most importantly, it should be divided into preset grids (500m enough?), rounded to the nearest one the player is in. Not like the map gps which puts yourself in the middle. No extended map info should be shown, but user placed map markers would show naturally.

Todays map would go to "Shift M", and offer all the planning stuff. Hopefully MORE planning stuff. The features of SPON_Map comes to mind. Possibly take longer to unfold, AND make you blind like today.

The point is, as a pilot, you make out the general heading and waypoints yourself. A pilot wouldn't have a full unfolded map available at all times. But he always have GPS as additional aid. By doing it this way, I can remove access to the (magic) GPS for FOs, and make their challenge greater by forcing them to designate their own position using nothing but their eyes and map. If it was always centered, they would always know precisely were they are. As a mission designer, I don't always want that. Maybe pilots, crew, and infantry units should have differently scaled maps?

Again, just talking loosely about ideas.

But live map update with complete extended map info (on too many servers) on a second screen? No, that *would* be too much. Frankly, I would call it builtin cheating instead of a feature, and I wouldn't want to play with such players.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

When looking at a map you are focused onto the map and wont see much else IRL. I got the map on my mouse (mouse5 - mx518) and its really fast to switch. But i never really was against features as long as they are customizable and not too ridiculous. Can be turned on/off on servers etc.

But that's the point, it would be too ridiculous. A bare map, like the one on the GPS, I wouldn't have too much problem with. But by full map, considering extended map info enabled, would allow you to check your direction on the map, rotate until you're pointing at a red enemy, then look back in your already up optics. Without the time penalty or the penalty of rebringing up the gun.

Private servers would most likely have this turned off if customizable, but public gameplay would suffer even more. Do public games need to become even faster? Many public servers still use extended map info, which only have a purpose in singleplayer to communicate the information obtained in the group that you can't ask about due to them being AI. I realize that not that many have the luxury of triple heads, but still. I thought they had it for the additional situational awareness to the sides (which is still a bit unfair but at least somewhat realistic). Now they want it to cover the whole battlefield? C'mon :)

It's a feature request. I would love it. Several people here would love it. Some of you seem to despise the idea. Commanding the retarded AI it more of a challenge now then ever. I would have no issue with the map being adjustable based on server difficultly.

Hell, In the first post I didn't even want it to follow you. You would be required to press a key to gain access and zoom/pan to your location manually just like the current map.

This would also not be a huge hardware budget only feature. EVERYONE since 2004 has dual monitor support on their graphics card. All you would need is a cheap extra monitor. I personally would use a 15" NEC I have lying around next to my GMD-FW900. It would look so "cute :p"

You CANNOT deny that the commander should have this feature with all the info, controls and extra screens he can fit in his room (forget his desk). Then Team-Leaders would have a slightly more restricted version. Down and down through the ranks.

The cursor could track you in certain vehicles like tanks and jets where there would be a large map screen anyway. If someone reports an enemy tank "to our southwest" it should popup on your map for review and confirmation.

If money games are involved let them worry about how the restrictions should be laid out. Don't force the death of a feature because you don't think it will work out for the 1 in 10,000 chance it would be unfair in a pro tournament.

If anyone is willing to work on this sort of mod and does not want to be ridiculed by announcing it here please PM me. Our squad is currently collecting donations to get a dedicated 24hour box up so testing could be done easily there or on another temp we use. Thanks.

http://www.zazzle.com/arma_2_f_u_c_o_d_tshirt-235575534127041501

Edited by ZeosPantera

This if possible would be magnificent addition:)

I would go as far as stating that if BI gave away Dedi servers for this i would take it...............im kidding;)

I'm probably going to do the triple head display thing so I wouldn't want my extra monitors being anything other than panorama, but this sounds like a good idea. It is possible to drive with a map open, I did deliveries that way for years. :)

I'm probably going to do the triple head display thing so I wouldn't want my extra monitors being anything other than panorama, but this sounds like a good idea. It is possible to drive with a map open, I did deliveries that way for years. :)

ATI's Ifinity may allow you to go quad and have this feature AND your triplehead. Just think about that.

Eyenfinity is what I'm planning on using. For that it seems one monitor has to have Display Port? It would be really cool if my netbook could serve as my map. :)

Edited by HyperU2

Done that some weeks ago while playing arty squad in an AL Real War game,

not only did it work, it also gave a little extra immerison :)

http://dl1.armed-assault.de/team/burns/alrealwar_251009.jpg

Fully dynamic maps, pinpointing enemy &/or frinedly troops .. nah.

Too much GRAW in that.

Done that some weeks ago while playing arty squad in an AL Real War game,

not only did it work, it also gave a little extra immersion :)

http://dl1.armed-assault.de/team/burns/alrealwar_251009.jpg

Fully dynamic maps, pinpointing enemy &/or friendly troops .. nah.

Too much GRAW in that.

Needs to be dynamic to use for troop AI controls and such. Also if your going to use a photo I would throw away the standard windows viewer and grab Faststone-Maxview. http://www.faststone.org/FSMaxViewDetail.htm It's a pay program but that shouldn't stop you from using it.

I found something very interesting in Keygetys' ArmALib v1.03 and ArmAlib samples package. I just copied the info.txt in here:

Scriptlink sample "GPS" that displays your position on a map in an external application window.

- Download & install Python 2.5 for windows (or newer) from www.python.org

- Double click on the slgps.pyw, which should launch a "GPS" window and begin trying to connect to scriptlink host

- Run ArmA windowed and start the scriptlinkSample mission, your position should be displayed in the GPS window

You just need 2 LCDs and the Nvidia multi-monitor feature. That's it! :cool:

But I don't know if enemies are displayed and it doesn't support ArmA 2.

Link to ArmALib: http://www.kegetys.net/arma/

Greetz

CriminalMinds

+1

A stupid idea for the reasons metsapeikkoo stated.... think of fixes and features that will help the majority not the rich.

I'd be pissed at BI for wasting time with this... so many other important things to work on.....

Edited by 76