Sign in to follow this  
Wupjak

Thank you to that other title for bringing me here.

All,

I'm formerly an OFP player - although I think I picked that up just prior to ARMA coming out - and tried playing ARMA from release to around 1.08. At that time, my PC was not up to the task, so I uninstalled ARMA and forgot about it and PC gaming in general.

When I saw that CM were releasing their title and that it'd be available for XBox360, I figured, cool! It's called Operation Flashpoint! It's gotta be good! I'll have all the fun I had with OFP and tried to have with ARMA and none of the PC related issues (chief issue was usually that I didn't have the rig or the $ to upgrade my PC to make any game look and perform decently). NO MORE will I be a slave to an outdated PC and I'll be immune to the upgrade game! Hurray Codemasters! Thank you for catering to the realist/tactical type player! Then, release day.

I bought it on release day, tried to like it. I enjoyed the 3+ missions I played, but for me being a PC gamer from the time of Wizardry, it wasn't going to happen. It wasn't pretty, it wasn't fancy, it wasn't deep, it was just sorta simple. There was no editor, no flexibility, no depth, etc. I saw that Arma 2 was on sale for the weekend on Steam awhile back and snapped it up thinking, 'how bad could it be?' It can't be THAT buggy like they say over on those other forums....

I haven't looked back since. I owe it all to that other company and their cruddy, not-deserving-of-its-name, shallow husk of a game. Arma 2 has captured my imagination and answered my wishlist. Now I just need more time to play!

Granted, I bought a new video card, showing just how strong my will was to not upgrade my computer 'just' for a game, but damn, what a difference it made once I started dabbling with beta releases and .cfg files.

With the flurry of activity from the devs updating and issuing betas and the hardware required to run the game being at least SOMEWHAT more affordable to people, I think this game's best is still yet to come and this may well be the Golden Age.

The ability of any title to appeal to gamers of a wide variety of gaming backgrounds is rare. I'm a slow, careful player who hated BF2 and COD. I see guys that have moved over from those two games and love it. Arma2 pulled that off. Sure, you have to know your way around a computer, but that's why we're PC gamers. What fun would it be to just stuff a CD in the drive and start playing? :P

Edited by Wupjak

Hi and welcome to this great community and the godness called Arma2.

Hopefully more people will realize that they are practically playing the same game over and over when buying the shallow "other" games ;), and that developers are forced to start making quality games again.

All,

I'm formerly an OFP player - although I think I picked that up just prior to ARMA coming out - and tried playing ARMA from release to around 1.08. At that time, my PC was not up to the task, so I uninstalled ARMA and forgot about it and PC gaming in general.

When I saw that CM were releasing their title and that it'd be available for XBox360, I figured, cool! It's called Operation Flashpoint! It's gotta be good! I'll have all the fun I had with OFP and tried to have with ARMA and none of the PC related issues (chief issue was usually that I didn't have the rig or the $ to upgrade my PC to make any game look and perform decently). NO MORE will I be a slave to an outdated PC and I'll be immune to the upgrade game! Hurray Codemasters! Thank you for catering to the realist/tactical type player! Then, release day.

I bought it on release day, tried to like it. I enjoyed the 3+ missions I played, but for me being a PC gamer from the time of Wizardry, it wasn't going to happen. It wasn't pretty, it wasn't fancy, it wasn't deep, it was just sorta simple. There was no editor, no flexibility, no depth, etc. I saw that Arma 2 was on sale for the weekend on Steam awhile back and snapped it up thinking, 'how bad could it be?' It can't be THAT buggy like they say over on those other forums....

I haven't looked back since. I owe it all to that other company and their cruddy, husk of a game. Arma 2 has captured my imagination and answered my wishlist. Now I just need more time to play!

Granted, I bought a new video card, showing just how strong my will was to not upgrade my computer 'just' for a game, but damn, what a difference it made once I started dabbling with beta releases and .cfg files.

With the flurry of activity from the devs updating and issuing betas and the hardware required to run the game being at least SOMEWHAT more affordable to people, I think this game's best is still yet to come and this may well be the Golden Age.

The ability of any title to appeal to gamers of a wide variety of gaming backgrounds is rare. I'm a slow, careful player who hated BF2 and COD. I see guys that have moved over from those two games and love it. Arma2 pulled that off. Sure, you have to know your way around a computer, but that's why we're PC gamers. What fun would it be to just stuff a CD in the drive and start playing? :P

Why do Arma fans always try to bash other games?? Arent we allowed to like other games as well? always trying to spread hatred towards other titles especially COD, well, just to let you know that I just ordered MW2 and I love both games (Arma & COD)

GOOD FOR ME

Why do Arma fans always try to bash other games?? Arent we allowed to like other games as well? always trying to spread hatred towards other titles especially COD, well, just to let you know that I just ordered MW2 and I love both games (Arma & COD)

GOOD FOR ME

I don't hate COD. Well, now I do. Just MW2. Because IW isn't doing dedicated servers for PC. That's it.

Haha They now have commercials out in our area for MW2 and It only pushes Xbox.....haha

Oh It's avail at midnight but I think I will wait for another year.

Errr...that's all that you got from my post? Yikes, thanks for extending me so much in the benefit of the doubt department. Nonetheless, I admit I could have better worded that last paragraph.

I like plenty of other games. I should have said, 'I hated the pace and the confined feel of BF2 and CoD.' The games themselves were - and are - beautiful. I just prefer a slow, methodical style that uses lots of terrain to maneuver. Like that found in Arma, Arma 2 and OFP.

Surely, knowing the mechanics and map styles/sizes of the two games I mentioned, you can see how the map sizes wouldn't work particularly well for me? And that others who like all of these games find something for them and gravitate to this title from the others?

I don't hate COD. Well, now I do. Just MW2. Because IW isn't doing dedicated servers for PC. That's it.

dedicated servers might be an issue for you, but for someone like me who doesnt care about hosting a server or joining a clan, it doesnt bother me at all, if I want to play with friends then I can play a private match

The only think I hate about MW2 is the idea of downloading a third party programme to play the game, in this case "Steam" bullshit

---------- Post added at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 AM ----------

Errr...that's all that you got from my post? Yikes, thanks for extending me so much in the benefit of the doubt department. Nonetheless, I admit I could have better worded that last paragraph.

I like plenty of other games. I should have said, 'I hated the pace and the confined feel of BF2 and CoD.' The games themselves were - and are - beautiful. I just prefer a slow, methodical style that uses lots of terrain to maneuver. Like that found in Arma, Arma 2 and OFP.

Surely, knowing the mechanics and map styles/sizes of the two games I mentioned, you can see how the map sizes wouldn't work particularly well for me? And that others who like all of these games find something for them and gravitate to this title from the others?

The Idea of having a massive map for no use, is useless, most Arma videos I watch on Youtube, all I see in them is the soldiers walking, 10 min wasting my time watching a soldier walking to get to the enemy, and then 10secs of firing, then he gets shot and DEAD in the last seconds of the 10min video, what a waste of time,

I say get the bloody Maps a bit smaller, and put more graphics and textures into the game

GOOD FOR ME

In recent time i have played a lot of Joint Operations, Black Hawk Down and BF2 which i like for what they are.

I think most ArmA fans plays other games from time to time to get away from the serious gaming ArmA can be :)

dedicated servers might be an issue for you, but for someone like me who doesnt care about hosting a server or joining a clan, it doesnt bother me at all, if I want to play with friends then I can play a private match

The only think I hate about MW2 is the idea of downloading a third party programme to play the game, in this case "Steam" bullshit

It should be an issue for you. Dedicated servers provide much lower pings and a wider variety of people to play with than peer to peer. In other words, you're going to be introduced to a lot more lag than you've experienced with CoD4.

As for Steam being BS, well, that's more opinion than anything. It's light, it's easy to use, and it's better than almost every other form of DRM out there.

The Idea of having a massive map for no use, is useless, most Arma videos I watch on Youtube, all I see in them is the soldiers walking, 10 min wasting my time watching a soldier walking to get to the enemy, and then 10secs of firing, then he gets shot and DEAD in the last seconds of the 10min video, what a waste of time,

I say get the bloody Maps a bit smaller, and put more graphics and textures into the game

Thanks for your wide and varied and unsolicited opinions, perhaps start your own thread.

In recent time i have played a lot of Joint Operations, Black Hawk Down and BF2 which i like for what they are.

I think most ArmA fans plays other games from time to time to get away from the serious gaming ArmA can be :)

well, some think by degrading other games, they are showing loyality to Arma & BI, how stupid

The games are there to make you have fun and enjoy ur time, diversity is a good thing in life, so pls stop this loyality war thats going on, it will just make you depressed for nothing

---------- Post added at 12:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

It should be an issue for you. Dedicated servers provide much lower pings and a wider variety of people to play with than peer to peer. In other words, you're going to be introduced to a lot more lag than you've experienced with CoD4.

As for Steam being BS, well, that's more opinion than anything. It's light, it's easy to use, and it's better than almost every other form of DRM out there.

Have you tried the new multiplayer? NO, so lets not judge them before we even played

What are you going on about mate :confused:

The massive area is as entertaining as the mission designer makes it. If there is zero action for 10 minutes, then it's probably a poorly designed mission or someone just goofing around in the editor.

Good missions, in which you could be ambushed at any time is glorious and adds far more tension than just being planted in the middle of a huge inner-city firestorm. Of course my favorite, is the open terrain mission which finales in an urban environment or vice-versa.

Joint Operations - the first one, anyway, was a fun game. Good tradeoff there between map size and action. Of course, no multiplayer match was any fun since everyone was playing a sniper, lol.

Hi and welcome Wupjak,

I agree with your openning statement.

I've been playing the OFP series since 2001 and I did like other games such as COD and BF etc but they got repetitive quite quickly and there is not as much teamplay.

(I did like JointOperations alot too)

Anyway, I agree that ARMA is gona get better and better.

A little reminder of how far ARMA2 has come:

Edited by EDcase

Thanks for your wide and varied and unsolicited opinions, perhaps start your own thread.
He has not a clue about A2.., and hasn't ever played it? if all he is going on is videos? Anyhoo there is a ignore option in your CP here, hes a great candidate for that:cool:

Have you tried the new multiplayer? NO, so lets not judge them before we even played

Don't have to, the complaints with accompanied screenshots on their forums provide enough information about lag issues, connection issues, host migration issues, NAT issues, and more.

I'm one of those that also bought OFP2, although I have to say I enjoy it for what it is. It's definitely not even close to OFP1/ArmA at all, but it's still not a bad game overall. If they would have added dedicated servers, a better GUI, and more customization options it would have been like an improved GRAW 2. The two, ArmA and OFP2, could have coexisted peacefully on my HDD. As it stands ArmA2 gets most of the play time unless certain buddies of mine are in the mood for OFP2.

---------- Post added at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 AM ----------

Oh, well that's a great idea...

Get real man!! With your "idea" then we'll be playing the same 2 Sq. KM over and over and over...

Not EVERYONE plays Warfare/Domination!!

The whole point of having so much terrain is that there's no rails, and there's VARIETY. When you shrink it down it gives you less options; which is what the whole OFP/Arma series is about...endless options

Edited by No Use For A Name

The Idea of having a massive map for no use, is useless, most Arma videos I watch on Youtube, all I see in them is the soldiers walking, 10 min wasting my time watching a soldier walking to get to the enemy, and then 10secs of firing, then he gets shot and DEAD in the last seconds of the 10min video, what a waste of time

Its something that tries to mirror in some ways real life ... that's why its a mil "sim" ... if you clearly don't like that, your "playing" the wrong thing.

Thats like playing IL2 Strurmovic flight sim and suggesting having lots of sky to fly around and meeting enemy every so often only to get shot at pretty fast is a waist of time. What you posted is laughable.

well, some think by degrading other games, they are showing loyality to Arma & BI, how stupid

BTW aren't you now bashing arma (the previous quote), contradicting your points about others? People are free to post there views my friend, take a leaf from your own book. And seeing as we are in the "arma" forums why is it such a shock to you anyway? Seems to me you hijacked this thread pretty fast to make your point.

If I had the view of the first quote, I would not like arma or arma2 ... thats my logic.

Anyway, to the original poster .. good to see your here.

Edited by mrcash2009

So just because it suits you, the game should not be tailored to suit the other few million players out there?

Sure i love the cod series, great fun, but you don't half make some ignorant posts.

Yes a big map might be useless for those who run off alone, but sticking as a team keeps you alive much longer. With revive script you can stay in the front as long as your team is alive.

ArmA 2 is all about team work and the rambo style from COD, BF2 and many other games doesn't work here ;)

To the OP, I fully hear you on the disappointment of DR. I've done the same thing and am now trying to steer my clanmates (we play CoD4, so sorry about us not being a squad) in the direction of Arma2.

Given how many of us are stealthers, campers or snipers (except me when I'm a sugar rush, when I go crazy), I think Arma 2 will be a good game for us.

BTW is it normal to be happier to dive right into the editing rather than the game itself? :)

Thanks for the posts.

bfalcon, yeah, perfectly normal :P I'm clueless when it comes to script. However, the campaign runs poorly on my machine, hence the accelerated jump into the editor to make missions that were small enough (ACM, SOM) not to cause clunky video but interesting enough to keep me coming back. The beautiful thing about those two modules is that they're easy enough to just drop into the map in an interesting location and just start playing (and having FUN!).

BTW is it normal to be happier to dive right into the editing rather than the game itself? :)

Yes :D

The editor and playing custom missions is whats keeping me hooked :cool:

hehe that's ok then. :)

I did kinda like the "other game"'s editor, but it's sadly not enough to save it. ACM, SOM?

Sorry, it was around 2 weeks ago that I ordered Arma 2, so I've not had it long.

I'm playing around with parajumping and trying to get the C130 to taxi properly right now :)

Just found the script for the C130, so I'll see