Sign in to follow this  
i3luevein

City Life 2 RPG MOD (WIP)

www.cityliferpg.com

This City Life 2 RPG MOD is an Online RPG built on the Armed Assault 2 engine offering an online community for you to enjoy. What sets us aside from other RPG missions is custom made addons built around our code.

Hear is some WIP videos before I ramble on:

9juQdN3D68A

tBCOV_zILAk

http://s898.photobucket.com/albums/ac183/daddybluevein/?action=view&current=CL2WIP3.flv

Well we have come a long way from ARMA 1 and the current Dev team stands at:

ArMaTeC - Web master, Coder, Modeller, Mapper & Texture artist

DaChevs - Coder & Modeller

I.M.G - Modeller, Mapper, Texture artist & config

PROTO - Community Administrator, Permissions admin and mission editor

I3lueVein - Modeller, Mapper, BETA & Texture artist (Generally makes more errors) :butbut:

Dan - Community Administrator, BETA tester & getting into Model making.

CAF=Kilpat: so Dan basically makes the tea n sweeps up

Coldfuse - Modeller, Mapper and Texture artist

Special thanks to:

Vilas Team

(There are more but the list go's on, the exe will have a readme with all listed)

OK the video should highlight some of the features, but as each day go's the MOD develops from a simple idea or community suggestions.

Soon the launch of an on-line interactive pocket book for Civs and Police will be available so people can get to grips with the mod before its released.

I'll keep you updated.

http://www.myotherdrive.com/dyn/file/895.370017.30102009.23280.6a65fi/axe.jpg

http://www.myotherdrive.com/dyn/file/176.360117.30102009.23312.6a65fi/hammer.jpg

http://www.myotherdrive.com/dyn/file/458.410117.30102009.23320.6a65fi/spade.jpg

http://www.myotherdrive.com/dyn/file/895.460117.30102009.23324.6a65fi/taserefx.jpg

Edited by i3luevein
added images and fixed youtube code

nice to see that Citylife 2 came to the BI forums :)

the problem with Sahrani life in Arma1 was that the mission was .. pointless. I advised them a lot of good ideas and some of them they used ( governor, governor voting, chief of police, production of goods and some more ) but in general they paid too much attention on little details instead of developing mission goals so as result their mission become less popular among adult players and more kids were coming just to bomb and kill all around. Other words they destroyed their own mission.

I really hope that your mission will be different. First of all you have to pay attention on role goals. There should be goals for civ's, cops and crime. If the goal will be just kill cops and collect money to buy cars your mission will be as pointless as Sahrani Life was.

my ideas -

Goal for civs - to be elected as president of Chernarus. Only the president can control military of the island and create laws. Election can be automatic every hour. You can be elected only if u get political points. One political point is one vote of chernarus citizen OR $1 000 000 ( here u go, now citizens have the goal to be rich, collect money for political points and be nice to each another if they wanna have future support in elections ). President must have good control of army against revolutionary, so, he spends country income to buy good weapon.

Goal for cops - to be the chief of Police Department. Only the chief can see all people on the map ( except terrorists/revolutionary ). Unlike civs chief of police is elected by police points. the system very easy - if policeman killed innocent civ he gets -5 points, if policeman arrested innocent civ he gets -1 point, if policeman kills wanted civ he gets +1 point and if policeman arrests wanted civ he gets +5 points. If policeman get -10 points he goes to jail. Here you go, now policeman will not be killing all people around up to his mood. The goal is to become chief of police and you can get it faster if you will be arresting crime but not killing them! And sure u can destroy your police reputation if u will be having fun by killing innocent civs. Police cannot arrest President.

Goal for crime - now it's hard to be crime because chief of police can give his orders to his police officers to catch you any minute. So, it's better not to be a crime, but only crime money can make you rich very fast. Why you need to be rich? So to become a revolutionary!

Revolutionary - this people live in forests and fight for new government on the island. They can buy weapon from over seas only on crime money. President forces are always ready to protect President from revolutionary. If revolutionists are rich and strong enough they can declare Revolution and attack president palace to kill him. If revolutionary kills President that hi becomes new President of Chernorus!

Here you go, now we have mission logic and each player has his own goal and reason to collect money and play his own way. If you like my idea I can describe you more little details about each goal for civ, policeman, crime and revolutionary.

Hi MaxRiga, thanks allot for your reply and suggestions.

1st of all I would like to say we have put allot of effort into role play hence the requirement of tools to do certain things. Axe, hammer, shovel, Street sweeper, repo truck, taxi etc..

We have a skill point system, still WIP but will be fully implemented.

Lets take driving skill and strength for example. The more you drive the more points you get and the better cars you can own. Strength, you can't mug anyone who is of greater strength than you and the more strength you have the more you can carry and earn better money gathering more resources such as lumber and dead animals.

You can become a pilot instructor, yes people can still go and pay for the licence and take the test but the instructor can charge allot less to take someone out for a test and grant them their licence.

At the moment there are dedicated slots for police and civs, when ArMaTeC fine tunes his cloth switching code there will be endless possibilities to where this can lead.

There is a voting system for civs to become a mayor type roll but I need DaChevs to explain that more as its an area I have not yet tested fully and its his code.

There is a backbone code not yet implemented for renting.

As for crime, allot of this has been left to robbing, player based teamwork and the ability to role play. Allot of the problems you mention can stem from ether bad server administration or the easy availability of high damage items such as the MBT which is not available in City Life 2.

However I do like your ideas allot and have posted them into our forums under the dev section.

Thanks again.

Edited by i3luevein

@MaxRiga: it seems it has been a long time ago you played sahrani life (or now chernaurus life).

they changed many things (and actually all the goals you posted are already there... they might just need more tweaking and improving).

with the "- points" for cops it will become a problem to declare who is innocent and who not.

@MaxRiga: it seems it has been a long time ago you played sahrani life (or now chernaurus life).

they changed many things (and actually all the goals you posted are already there... they might just need more tweaking and improving).

with the "- points" for cops it will become a problem to declare who is innocent and who not.

really? nice, i'm going to check it then ... I thought they ignored all what I said more then year ago in their forum thread. Thanks for letting me know it.

Lets take driving skill and strength for example. The more you drive the more points you get and the better cars you can own. Strength, you can't mug anyone who is of greater strength than you and the more strength you have the more you can carry and earn better money gathering more resources such as lumber and dead animals.

i3luevein, all this features are wonderful, but who needs it if a mission is just long and pointless? Once I said it to Sahrani Life developers and I can just repeat it - if you build a house you never start from decoration of doors or windows, you always start from the base! The base for any mission is it's goal. Create the logic of RPG and then you can add decorations such as licenses, car addons, resources and other stuff ...

i3luevein, all this features are wonderful, but who needs it if a mission is just long and pointless? Once I said it to Sahrani Life developers and I can just repeat it - if you build a house you never start from decoration of doors or windows, you always start from the base! The base for any mission is it's goal. Create the logic of RPG and then you can add decorations such as licenses, car addons, resources and other stuff ...

As I said, I like your ideas, I wasn't "pooh poohing" them. It's an open ended question, what is your goal in life? If the goal in City Life was to become a rebel and then take over the island it would be called something els.

We have paid allot of attention to role play, before we implement goals such as you have suggested we need to test and see how far the current mission go's, keeping interest one would say :)

i3luevein

i'm looking forward to play ur mission soon! ;)

Tobie

I didn't find their server, so I tried another mod of SL called - Revolution and, unfortunately, it's the same #^%$@% as before, with simple rush for money for nothing ...

their official servers are called Sahrani life/Chernaurus life Ultimate. maybe they were restarting the server at that moment. and it has got a password atm i think (but not sure). the revolution servers are fake.

well i said every "role" has its goal. the mayor can set laws and taxes (but most of the people dont follow them) and the cops are also powerless sometimes and very unpopular because of that. there was also a discussion about the point system for cops. and some really good suggestions to improve the skill system.

and the cop leader is able to use other weapons.

their official servers are called Sahrani life/Chernaurus life Ultimate. maybe they were restarting the server at that moment. and it has got a password atm i think (but not sure). the revolution servers are fake.

fake or not fake, but the mission logic is the same.

well i said every "role" has its goal. the mayor can set laws and taxes (but most of the people dont follow them) and the cops are also powerless sometimes and very unpopular because of that. there was also a discussion about the point system for cops. and some really good suggestions to improve the skill system.

and the cop leader is able to use other weapons.

all you have listed above are detailes but not goals. And their mission will always be pointless if it stays the way it is now. I hope City Life will be really different.

Guys, can I just bring your attention back to City Life as this is what what this thread was supposed to be about, I believe there is a thread already about Sahrani life/Chernaurus life.

I also just want to say that the idea behind City Life is not a pissing contest between the 2 missions/mods. I'm sure each will have its own solid fan base. City Life has been in development since the dawn of ARMA, they just came hear 1st.

Just sit back and wait for our public "BETA" release and we can see where this story go's!

Police cannot arrest President.

IDEA

If President is caught committing crimes he is ejected from office and is listed as wanted. This allows a new position: vice president. When vice becomes pres, he appoints a new VP. (no corrupt bargains, OK?)

If President is caught committing crimes he is ejected from office and is listed as wanted. This allows a new position: vice president. When vice becomes pres, he appoints a new VP. (no corrupt bargains, OK?)

making mission too complicated is wrong way too! For example, I'm 100% sure that all this licenses and other crap is just waste of time, this why most of mature players never plays SL. Just imagine, coming back from work and finally get 1-2 hours to play arma2 and then all you have to do is driving car back and forward for getting licenses ... it's nonsense, only kids can allow them to spend so many time on it. And the worse thing in arma is to play with kids! So, not sure City Life should go this way.

I really advise to remove licenses and let player be able to buy anything they want any time ( if they have money ). Once again, if the mission will have role playing logic, no licenses actually needed, because if a player decides to buy a gun he has to use brain to earn money any way. The main idea is WHY a person needs his gun !? Or how to make it better for person NOT to buy his gun !

wow, you just contradicted yourself (in a sense) in that first paragraph

I really advise to remove licenses and let player be able to buy anything they want any time ( if they have money ). Once again, if the mission will have role playing logic, no licenses actually needed, because if a player decides to buy a gun he has to use brain to earn money any way. The main idea is WHY a person needs his gun !? Or how to make it better for person NOT to buy his gun !

IMHO Your wrong. Licenses are needed to prevent idiots from coming on and trying to DM. As long as every license you get is permanently saved to your playerid or account it would work great.

As for "The main idea is WHY a person needs his gun" that is simple. People in CL need guns to:

#1 - Protect themselves from idiots

#2 - Help the Cops

#3 - Kill The Cops

#4 - Rob the bank

#5 - Start a gang and rove around fighting cops and other gangs

#6 - Guns + CL = Fun

#7 - Tanks + Guns + CL = Death = No Fun

#8 - Kill the kids who come over from SL and Chernarus Life. :nuts:

IMHO Your wrong. Licenses are needed to prevent idiots from coming on and trying to DM.
Originally Posted by MaxRiga

I might phrase it wrong but the point was - if person an idiot all he can do is buy licence and DM. And this is what's happening in CL. My point was - to avoid DM the developers can make it possible to buy gun only if u EARN money, not just getting money for nothing every 2 minutes like in SL/CL. So, in this case it will be boring for idiots and only good players stay ...

In City Life the Gun license is issued by the police. Depending on your actions in the past you will be granted one or if you nub it up it will be revoked. Those players will still be able to get a gun from various means that are built in to the mission (verry verry verry hard to get a gun with out a license) but if they are caught with a gun with out a license they will face fines and jail time. As for the other license that is one of the "goals" you speak of. You keep trying to improve what you have over the next guy. You also only get paid if you work. It is also set up so you can have company accounts and pay your workers. We have also set it up that you will need to sleep to regain energy and aslo eat and drink. Most of the mission is open ended and we have already had some things planed to happen to make sure it stays interesting and fun for everyone.

Each licence requires you to take a physical test, no more than 5 minutes. Why make a role playing game resembling real life doesn't slightly reflect real life. Then if an officer catches someone speeding or using their weapon for the wrong reasons he would have nothing to revoke, (Revoke not remove).

The save system, saves Location, money, keys, licenses & Gear.

not just getting money for nothing every 2 minutes

You have to get a job to earn money, and work in the time slots it gives you, using your work phone to call in to work 10 minutes before work starts to get your wages, if you fail to call in 2 days in a row you get the sack, failing to call in wont get you any money.

The other way to earn cash is to gather resources and sell them at the market.

Like most shops, before anyone can even get a gun someone has to own the shop, and the money made at the shop needs to be collected by the owner. Each time someone purchases the shop the value increases. If you don't have the money to outbid someone you can apply to become an employee and purchase stock to your "self built" shop to earn.

There is still allot uncovered about City Life, we are still putting the guide together.

Cheers for suggestions

@MaxRiga: the fake versions are a stolen SL version 1.25 (it has nothing to do with rp-mods!!)... and now they got already 1.69. many things have changed since 1.25.

and my things listed above are the goals you also posted... becoming mayor/cop leader etc. i just added some problems there are. and the same problems could city life have too (but thats up to the developers and the community).

Hi Vino3

Latest news is.

Currently under private beta with 7 invited community members, will be inviting another 5 this weekend.

The coders are ironing out the little bugs. I don't want to give a date or time but it's looking good.

i respect you for your effort, you have so many objects in missions, very hard coding work, all those bank, payment, police scripts, prison scripts, super :)

this mod sounds great, the time and work that people put into creations like this really show in the final products. i am greatly anticipating its public beta release. keep up the good work!